What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos Recruitment

According to reports coming out of Redhill they are thinking of letting Copley go to another club, but still pay his wages, so unless I'm missing something here the Broncos still need to free up Salary cap cash and they won't do that by paying Copleys wages at another club.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
According to reports coming out of Redhill they are thinking of letting Copley go to another club, but still pay his wages, so unless I'm missing something here the Broncos still need to free up Salary cap cash and they won't do that by paying Copleys wages at another club.

By "pay his wages" I think they mean just a small proportion of it, enough to satisfy the cap.

Here is a list of Broncos current gains and losses for 2016 according to zero tackle. Bolded are the ones that are definitely top 25. Based on this, it's hard to see why the cap is even being questioned in the first place...

2016 Gains: Carlin Anderson (2016), Herman Ese'ese (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, 2016), Salesi Funaki (Wests Tigers, 2017), Darren Nicholls (Mid Season: South Sydney Rabbitohs, 2016), James Roberts (Gold Coast Titans, 2017), Caleb Timu (2017)

2016 Losses: Mitchell Dodds (Warrington Wolves), Jordan Drew (Cronulla Sharks), Mitch Garbutt (Leeds Rhinos), Jon Green (retired), Justin Hodges (retired), Todd Lowrie (retired), Darren Nicholls (released), Jayden Nikorima (Sydney Roosters), Matt Parcell (Manly Sea Eagles), David Stagg (retired), Ashley Taylor (Gold Coast Titans), Daniel Vidot (Salford Red Devils)

Also according to zero tackle James Gavet is "off contract" but as far as I know he has been released so that is another top 25 loss.

http://www.nospam9/nrl/rugby-league/player-movements/

Dazzat

First Grade
It would be interesting to see the figures comparing clubs and top 25 imports.

I would think the Broncos are probably one of the less active clubs when it comes to high end imports.

But when we do, there's always a witch hunt. Tall poppy stuff.

Good signing you wouldn't pass him up. Copley had enough time to establish himself admittedly with some bad luck with injuries. Plenty of clubs will be glad to pick him up
With his past injury history I'm not sure clubs will be lining up to sign him on the wages he's on at the Broncos.
Will he be prepared to take a pay cut and move or will he see out his contract at the Broncos?

It now appears that Copley is on his way to the Roosters.
The financial terms of him leaving the Broncos and going to the Roosters would be interesting.
I don' think for 1 minute he has left the the Broncos for less monet while still under contract not unless perhaps he got a settlement payment from the Broncos, but that's just my opinion.

Bronco18

Juniors
It now appears that Copley is on his way to the Roosters.
The financial terms of him leaving the Broncos and going to the Roosters would be interesting.
I don' think for 1 minute he has left the the Broncos for less monet while still under contract not unless perhaps he got a settlement payment from the Broncos, but that's just my opinion.

If Jennings leaves this is a great outcome for him. Quality ball from Pearce and Hastings and an injury free run will see him live up to his potential.

gUt

Coach
Broncos snatch Canberra’s next superstar Tevita Pangai Jnr

BRISBANE have snatched away Canberra’s “next superstar’’. Again.

In a move which is sure to enrage Raiders fans, the Broncos have poached 120kg backrower Tevita Pangai, a year after they snatched the Green Machine’s last great hope, Anthony Milford.

Pangai is viewed by the Raiders as their best teenage talent and the 19-year-old has represented Australia in several age groups.

He is expected to debut for Canberra early this season and is an early favourite for NRL rookie of the year but the Broncos will sign the Newcastle junior to a deal starting next season.

Pangai’s defection will be a major blow for Canberra, who in recent seasons have seen Todd Carney, Blake Ferguson and Milford leave the capital.

The Raiders all but declared war on Brisbane after they signed Milford.

An explosive forward, Pangai is a bigger version of Josh Papalii and is known for his damaging ball-running.

It is understood Wayne Bennett was a major factor in Pangai’s decision to move north.

The Broncos lack young attacking backrowers and Pangai will provide punch off the bench next year before taking over from Sam Thaiday and Matt Gillett.

Gillett comes off contract this year but is unlikely to move from Brisbane.

The Broncos are also poised to re-sign veteran lock Corey Parker to a one-year deal to extend his career to at least the age of 35.

The Broncos still have room for one more depth signing this season, most likely a young outside back.

135ece2a0073bb9c9489bd965cd12aa0

Dazzat

First Grade
Segaryo ... obvious good buy for the club with McCullough injured and Nikorima going off the boil for the past several games.

Come on down Segy.

some11

Referee
If his head were right he'd be starting for Penrith, every chance he'd dog it up here without the benefit of a full pre-season to buy into the culture.

Waddell looked much better this week, hopefully Niko comes good after the bye.

Dazzat

First Grade
Waddell was must better - couldn't get much worse from his first appearance.

However, let's look long term.

I said it earlier in the year - Nikorima looks like he's just not happen coming in off the bench. He is a half being shoehorned into the No. 9 spot, and I honestly don't see him as a long-term proposition.

Latest posts