What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos Recruitment

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
I'm not sure about picking up some Union expat. We considered that with Sonny Bills boyfriend and I didn't like the idea then either.

hellteam

First Grade
As if we would chase Lyon, right centre is actually the only position we have covered...

When is Shaun Johnson off contract? He has stagnated big time in NZ and a change would probably be good for him. He's just what we need.

The Warriors might even be dumb enough to want Wallace.

Bow_rider

Juniors
See if you can sign Justin Hunt from Souths. Killing them in NSW cup, can play in halves but mainly fullback .will always be 18th man at Souths while GI is there.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
See if you can sign Justin Hunt from Souths. Killing them in NSW cup, can play in halves but mainly fullback .will always be 18th man at Souths while GI is there.

Justin Hunt killed it at QLD cup level as well. I'm not convinced he can make the step up. Bit like Luke Capewell.

unbreaK

Juniors
As if we would chase Lyon, right centre is actually the only position we have covered...

When is Shaun Johnson off contract? He has stagnated big time in NZ and a change would probably be good for him. He's just what we need.

The Warriors might even be dumb enough to want Wallace.

I was going to suggest that but I was afraid I would be laughed at, I still really rate him, someone with that much potential is only going to get better around more experienced players.

Nightward

Juniors
I'm not sure about picking up some Union expat. We considered that with Sonny Bills boyfriend and I didn't like the idea then either.

Berrick Barnes went to the Reds from the Broncos, where he was being groomed as the successor to Lockyer.

We could do worse than signing him. Problem is how high the cost would be and the fact you might only get 5 years or so out of him- buying time to develop a replacement, rather than getting a long-term proposition.

Kiwi

First Grade
These are off contact players we should go after

Korbin Sims - Add size to our front row.
Ryan James - as above
Bryan Norrie - As above
Michael Weyman

If we can land one or two of the above we would be looking pretty good in the forwards. I'd happily lose Gillett to land two of these guys. Yes I think we would benefit from having Weyman in our side who I think we could pick up at a good price.

Gareth Widdop - Throw the checkbook at him
Michael Morgan
John Sutton
Todd Carney

Oh and I agree with Tallis we need a couple of big boppers first to partner Hannat and McGuire in the rotation, and then a playmaker. Sick of seeing us play back rowers in the front row and in the centres as well.

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
I wouldn't bother with either Norrie or Weyman, both old and would have to try and adapt at a new club. If we're going down the experience route I wouldn't mind somebody like TLL who's been here before.

We should never had let Korbin go in the first place and James looks like a good prospect.

Widdop wouldn't be a bad get, but only as long as he's playing fullback (provided the Broncos don't get Dugan). I don't really rate him as a play-maker, he's a support runner behind great players like Slater, Cronk & Smith - without them he's ordinary as anybody else.

Morgan could be alright...so could a few up and comers like Keary, Tuimavave, Siejka etc. Really wish we had have spent a few years developing Hunt as a half instead of trying to domesticate him as a hooker.

No thanks to TC. Really don't like his off field behaviour and I don't believe his on field work makes up for it.

Sutton is a pea-heart and virtually an Anasta/Norman clone. He's been in good form behind a team that knows it has GI to take focus but without him he's practically puss.

beads6

First Grade
We've got some good young props coming through. Better off being patient with them IMO. We need to coach our forward better and recruit some x factor in the backline and halves.

Big Pete

Referee
One extra prop isn't going to hurt.

Especially if we're offloading the likes of Sanderson, Lui, Dodds etc.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Beads who exactly are our good young props coming through? Hala has potential but is injury prone, so is a risk. Oates and Timu are more backrowers. I don't really rate Dodds that highly.

Our depth in the front row is really poor imo. McGuire getting injured has really shown that. We could do with another high quality prop. Dodds and Anderson coming off the bench is ok-ish, but we should be aiming higher.

Chainshada

Juniors
Would love it if we made a play for Tolman at the end of the year..Thaiday actually had a great game as prop, if he can do that more consistantly..Hannant,Thaiday,McGuire,Tolman would be a damn nice rotation for us.

some11

Referee
Didn't know he was off contract this year, would be a great buy to complete our front row with Hala being the impact weapon.

Chainshada

Juniors
It looks like they have Tolman and Pritchard off-contract at the end of 2013...but they still have Graham, Kasiano, Klemmer and Taupau..they have a lot of depth with their props..but I don't see them keeping all 6.

jakepearce94

Juniors
No thanks to TC
I'd love carney at the club, imagine Todd, duges and !
It looks like they have Tolman and Pritchard off-contract at the end of 2013...but they still have Graham, Kasiano, Klemmer and Taupau..they have a lot of depth with their props..but I don't see them keeping all 6.

The bulldogs always seem to go over the salary cap though , so it would not surprise me if they kept all of them

Kiwi

First Grade
One person we need to sign is Tallis as our forwards coach. With one simple job which can be described in one simple word....aggression

His job description should be "make the Broncos forwards a pack of aggressive mean mothers what ever it takes"

We have the forwards but they are not aggressive enough, when they are we win, it's that simple really.

austyphoon

Juniors
One person we need to sign is Tallis as our forwards coach. With one simple job which can be described in one simple word....aggression

His job description should be "make the Broncos forwards a pack of aggressive mean mothers what ever it takes"

We have the forwards but they are not aggressive enough, when they are we win, it's that simple really.

But it's also up to the 9 to get the tempo up. Some fast play the balls and the forwards will roll on. Hunt was great at that against the Storm.

The Cowboys are having the same problem. They have arguably the two best forwards in Scott and Tamou but have been dominated in that area. Moore is new to the club and they're just not getting quick service.

unbreaK

Juniors
I'm hearing the name Gareth Widdop thrown around a bit, as well as I'm hearing Ben Hunt is on the verge of singing with the Knights. If we lose Ben Hunt, it's imperative that we get Widdop (Or another starting calibre Five-Eighth), otherwise we're completely f**ked when Prince retires after next season.

Widdop started his career at Fullback btw, Storm groomed him into a Five-Eighth because he was never going to take Billy's spot (This isn't really relevant, I think that if we sign him he'll be playing Five-Eighth)

Potential 2015 Squad -

1) Hoffman
2) Yow Yeh
3) Hodges*
4) Reed*
5) Copley*
6) Widdop
7) P.Wallace* (God I hope we get someone better by then)
8) Hannant*
9) McCollough
10) Thaiday (c)
11) Glenn
12) Gillett*
13) Parker*

14) McGuire
15) Hala*
16) Stagg*
17) Baptiste*

* = Off Contract after this season or the 2014 season

Morkel

Juniors
Big NO to Widdop. Like all the Storm players, they've been groomed to a very focussed set of parameters that only works if your side happens to have Smith, Cronk & Slater in it. Same with any props from them. In fact, the only players that I believe would have be transferrable to another club would be Hoffman & Chambers.

I'm surprised that Carney hasn't been mentioned by the media. He'd have to be the biggest name off-contract, and the Broncos need a playmaker. Maybe everyone's just assumed that the Broncos would not even think about going down that road.

Latest posts