What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos Recruitment

Morkel

Juniors
you think gillett will only get better? he hasn't showed many signs of this in the last couple seasons, and i think you mean baptiste back up dummy half?

Yeah I do think Gillett will get better. He's only early 20s I think. And yep, meant Baptiste for backup hooker, my bad.

whykickamoocow

Juniors
hunt at five eight :-k didn't he play in the halves when we had our record defeat against the raiders?

It's just a way off getting all the players into the side. Also we got smashed because everyone played like a busted arsehole, not because Hunt played in the halves. He'd also do a far better job then Wallace or Norman would.

Chainshada

Juniors
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMr39wA0LoM

And we'd probably get him for 1/4 of what Dugan wanted(Don't think he's as injury prone..but at worst he's equal). Saw some footage from 2013 trials, looks like he's recovered from his injuries and it doesn't look like he lost his touch, just forced out of the side by Gordon.

Morkel

Juniors
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMr39wA0LoM

And we'd probably get him for 1/4 of what Dugan wanted(Don't think he's as injury prone..but at worst he's equal). Saw some footage from 2013 trials, looks like he's recovered from his injuries and it doesn't look like he lost his touch, just forced out of the side by Gordon.

He has speed, which we're desperately lacking, but we already have enough potential fullbacks. If speed was the only concern, Kemp would be there. The problem with Gardner is that he may make a break on a kick-return once every few weeks, but every other time, up against more than 1 defender, he gets rag-dolled and driven back to where he picked up the ball. You just can't start your sets that way. That was my problem with Gagai when he played for us - constantly getting dragged back, didn't have the size, strength or experience to get between defenders and get to ground quick. Only now that he's put on more size is he effective (and Broncos were on him for aaaages to get bigger, part of the attitude problem).

Chainshada

Juniors
He's got speed, footwork, decent ball-playing skills and he shows up in support (something none of our current options ever seem to do). We already have a speed and power fullback in Hoffman, but he doesn't do much with it at fullback, all he can do is catch the ball and run fast in a straight line, if a small man gets in his way he can steamroll him, if it's a big guy, he gets rag-dolled anyway.

DeeJ

Bench
Last week and this week's game shows how important our next fullback is going to be. Almost all our tries have come from the fullback coming around the back. We need someone with those ballplaying skills.

I hope we recruit hard in this area and just don't rely on Hoffman next year. Maybe we can have another go at Dugan, make him go to counseling or something or put some restrictions in his contract. He's too good to simply pass up.

blaza88z

Coach
yeah you really do need a ballplaying fullback, the days of having a fullback who can just break the line are gone I feel, Norman barely made a linebreak all night (none of significance) yet he looked the most dangerous guy on the field during attack

round 13 eh, Gee, get the chequebook

unbreaK

Juniors
I don't want Hoffman to move back to Fullback next year to be honest, I think he's good on the wing, him and Reed seem to be gelling pretty well.

1. TBA
2. Yow Yeh
3. Hodges
4. Reed
5. Hoffman

Pretty happy with that back line if they're all gelling well.

Chainshada

Juniors
Hoffman is definately better on the wing than fullback, 5 tries from 5 games is impressive. Honestly I think it's pushing Reed to play better, like he has more confidence in Hoffman than he did with Beale, so he's more comfortable passing to him rather than going himself and it's making our left edge very dangerous.

Morkel

Juniors
Hoffman is definately better on the wing than fullback, 5 tries from 5 games is impressive. Honestly I think it's pushing Reed to play better, like he has more confidence in Hoffman than he did with Beale, so he's more comfortable passing to him rather than going himself and it's making our left edge very dangerous.

He does now. First 3 games he wouldn't pass the ball.

beads6

First Grade
Hoffman is in very good form this year. I'd be interested to see how he would go at fullback when in form and not carrying a chest injury. That said he looks at home on the wing and is doing an exceptional job finishing. Hoffman to fullback could work again if we got a gun half. Since there aren't any on the market I think him on the wing is a better option.

unbreaK

Juniors

Beale was on Hodges wing, it was Copley he didn't have confidence in :p

whykickamoocow

Juniors
yeah you really do need a ballplaying fullback, the days of having a fullback who can just break the line are gone I feel, Norman barely made a linebreak all night (none of significance) yet he looked the most dangerous guy on the field during attack

round 13 eh, Gee, get the chequebook

Starting to think we should spend some of the $600 000 we were reported to be spending on Dugan to entice Norman to do a Papali. One it would be good to stick it to Parra and Pricky Stuart and secondly he's starting to go well. Come 2015 when Prince retires move Norman back to 5/8 to play alongside Hunt who hopefully by then has surpassed Wallace and is our starting seven. Surely by then we should be able to develop or line up another decent fullback.

Chainshada

Juniors
[/B]Beale was on Hodges wing, it was Copley he didn't have confidence in :p

Heh...even more reason not to pass and go yourself then. His 3 games of not passing to Hoffman is understandable, takes time to break a habit, hopefully he keeps passing from now on.

Mr Fourex

Bench
Hoffman is in very good form this year. I'd be interested to see how he would go at fullback when in form and not carrying a chest injury. That said he looks at home on the wing and is doing an exceptional job finishing. Hoffman to fullback could work again if we got a gun half. Since there aren't any on the market I think him on the wing is a better option.

Hoffman IMO has at no time shown he is capable of creating the extra link and play maker in the backline like Norman is currently doing.

No to a move back from me. He has shown, I think ....his true value is on the wing.

We'll need to find another fullback next year. Hopefully Kahu gets through 2013 without injury and starts to fulfill his promise...

beads6

First Grade
Hoffman IMO has at no time shown he is capable of creating the extra link and play maker in the backline like Norman is currently doing.

No to a move back from me. He has shown, I think ....his true value is on the wing.

We'll need to find another fullback next year. Hopefully Kahu gets through 2013 without injury and starts to fulfill his promise...

Must have missed 2010 then.

unbreaK

Juniors
Must have missed 2010 then.

Hoffman was good in 2010, but he wasn't doing what Norman is doing now, he's basically give us a 3rd playmaker with a good kicking game, when Hoffman was at Fullback he was a great finisher, but he didn't have the touch that Norman has.

Bretto

Bench
Why are we talking about moving players around etc? The way the backline is ATM is working a treat. Hoffman is finishing very well, and his broken field play last night against the Titans was impressive - the way he stepped back inside the Fullback, drew 2 players and passed for the Wallace try was a classic Wingers play.

Norman coming into the backline, ATM, is working very well. I actually think Wallace is playing okay too. I mean, he's not setting the world on fire, but he's definitely playing a hell of a lot better than Prince with his arm grabs and poor 5th tackle options.

I would leave Wallace in the halves to just do what he's doing. Put Hunt there with him possibly next year, or this year, depending on what happens. It all rides on how we go over the next 4-6 weeks IMO. If we keep the good form up, we'd be silly to move people around. If Norman keeps this form up, we should look to retain him on the roster and keep him playing that Fullback role for now, then really get Hunt into the Halfback role, or look elsewhere for a quality, established Halfback.

unbreaK

Juniors
Why are we talking about moving players around etc? The way the backline is ATM is working a treat. Hoffman is finishing very well, and his broken field play last night against the Titans was impressive - the way he stepped back inside the Fullback, drew 2 players and passed for the Wallace try was a classic Wingers play.

Norman coming into the backline, ATM, is working very well. I actually think Wallace is playing okay too. I mean, he's not setting the world on fire, but he's definitely playing a hell of a lot better than Prince with his arm grabs and poor 5th tackle options.

I would leave Wallace in the halves to just do what he's doing. Put Hunt there with him possibly next year, or this year, depending on what happens. It all rides on how we go over the next 4-6 weeks IMO. If we keep the good form up, we'd be silly to move people around. If Norman keeps this form up, we should look to retain him on the roster and keep him playing that Fullback role for now, then really get Hunt into the Halfback role, or look elsewhere for a quality, established Halfback.

We're talking about switching players around because as of right now we don't have a Fullback for next season, I can't see us matching the Eels offer for Norman to keep him, the big question is, do we buy a Fullback or throw a young person back there and see how they go (Kahu? Bond? Whitchurch?) and shop for a Halfback.

Bretto

Bench
We have a Halfback sitting on the bench, that's the stupid part. I'd be shopping for a Fullback who has some decent ball playing skills.