What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos refer Dolphins to NRL Integrity Unit over contact dispute

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
The Broncos have made a formal complaint to the NRL integrity unit over sensational allegations expansion rivals the Dolphins enticed rising star Deine Mariner to break his Brisbane contract.

News Corp can reveal the NRL investigators have contacted Mariner’s management following revelations the 19-year-old dropped a bombshell on the Broncos by asking for an immediate release six weeks ago.

The Broncos were stunned by the request and rejected it.

Brisbane bosses then reported the matter to the NRL integrity unit, alleging the Dolphins tried to coerce Mariner - rated one of the club’s finest centre talents - to walk out on the Broncos by tabling a lucrative contract.

The revelations have sparked a bitter expansion feud and comes as the Broncos and Dolphins waged a separate contractual dispute over another teenage young gun Karl Oloapu, who wants out of Brisbane.

The NRL has cleared the Broncos of any wrongdoing over a three-year contract signed by Oloapu, who is refusing to attend Brisbane training.

Now the integrity unit has launched a fresh probe into Brisbane’s claim that the Dolphins have broken NRL contracting laws by attempting to sign Mariner _ an allegation the new expansion team has rejected.

Mariner’s manager Dixon McIver confirmed he has been interviewed by the NRL over the matter.

“The NRL has made contact with us, yes,” McIver said.

“I have co-operated fully with the NRL.

“I have given them a statement on where we stand and that’s why I don’t have any concerns.”

The Broncos believe Mariner wanted an immediate release to play for the Dolphins - for more money - next season.

McIver is adamant the Dolphins did not break NRL contracting laws and says Mariner, a classy centre who made his top-grade debut this year, will honour his Broncos deal.

“Deine has had interest from a number of clubs,” he said.

“From my end it’s a pretty self-explanatory thing.

“There’s a difference between enticing a player and some discussions that have transpired.

“We’ve left it to the Broncos and the NRL to sort it out and they will come up with deliberations in due course.

“I’ve got a good relationship with the Broncos.

“The interpretation of what I have of the situation to the Broncos will be completely different.

“I don’t think there is anything to be concerned about, but the NRL will make their findings.”

Asked why Mariner suddenly sought a release from the Broncos, McIver said: “I can’t go into detail on that, Deine had his reasons and one thing for certain is that Deine is a Bronco. He is contracted for 2024 and that’s the way it is.

“I’m not worried. I don’t know how the Dolphins feel. The Broncos have raised a concern over a couple of players (Mariner and Oloapu), but that’s for the NRL and them and we’ll reply when we have to.”

Dolphins chief executive Terry Reader denied trying to coerce Mariner into quitting the Broncos, saying the NRL has yet to contact the club.

“We have heard nothing about an investigation and the club has not received any official communications from the NRL on the matter,” he said.

“He (Mariner) is contracted.

“We can’t sign a player if he’s not available to be signed.”

Reader hit back at suggestions the Dolphins are attempting to destabilise their Queensland rivals by poaching Broncos players.

“The reality is there are now two teams in Brisbane and more competition for local players,” he said.

“The Dolphins will always be interested in the best available young talent, especially quality players from Queensland.

“We aren’t targeting the Broncos, the fact is that players now have more options with two NRL clubs in Brisbane.”

From the article:

Maximus

Coach
McIver is adamant the Dolphins did not break NRL contracting laws and says Mariner, a classy centre who made his top-grade debut this year, will honour his Broncos deal.

“Deine has had interest from a number of clubs,” he said.

“From my end it’s a pretty self-explanatory thing.

“There’s a difference between enticing a player and some discussions that have transpired.

The manager seems to be admitting exactly what happened. The Dolphins didn't try to entice him to break contract. The manager approached them to see if they were interested in paying more

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Dolphins didn't try to entice him to break contract. The manager approached them to see if they were interested in paying more
there's a difference?
surely the Dolphins response should have been 'No he's under contract go away"
not "yeh sure get him to break his contract and we'll chuck more money at him".

Maximus

Coach
there's a difference?
surely the Dolphins response should have been 'No he's under contract go away"
not "yeh sure get him to break his contract and we'll chuck more money at him".

There's a massive difference between a club approaching a player manager and asking if he's available, or a manager asking clubs how much they'd pay him if he's available.

If the manager approached the Dolphins and said "he's been told he can look elsewhere, how much would you be willing to offer?", are they really in the wrong?

Perth Red

Post Whore
There's a massive difference between a club approaching a player manager and asking if he's available, or a manager asking clubs how much they'd pay him if he's available.

If the manager approached the Dolphins and said "he's been told he can look elsewhere, how much would you be willing to offer?", are they really in the wrong?
if the manager lied then yeh its on him, but you think he did? I guess only he and the Dolphins know that. More likely he said 'IF he can get out of his contract would you be interested?'. As soon as Dolphins said yes it could be seen as an inducement to try and get out of his contract