What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos unleash wrecking ball

cronullashark

Juniors
Broncos unleash wrecking ball
By Mick Daly
June 28, 2006

BRISBANE will unleash their own "Jake the Muss" when Kiwi wrecking ball Ben Vaeau makes his NRL debut against the Sharks at Suncorp Stadium on Sunday.

Like the infamous Once Were Warriors film character he resembles, the 106kg, 184cm Vaeau is a formidable figure who has overcome the mean streets of Auckland to realise his rugby league dream. The 22-year-old forward of Cook Islands heritage said yesterday he had no fear of the NRL's toughest men after surviving a challenging upbringing in which crime and punishment was the norm.
"My upbringing was as rough as they come. That's no joke," he said. "There were a lot of negative elements around me. I grew up in an area where there was a lot of drugs, alcohol, crime and gang warfare.
"Being a part of a gang was a way of life. I used to go to school thinking, 'Am I going to get into trouble with a gang today?' It was full on, but I got through it."
Vaeau played his junior league for Auckland clubs Manakau and Mangere East before linking up with the Otahuhu Leopards in the Bartercard Cup.
He moved to Australia by himself in 2004 to play for Sydney's Newtown Jets, from where he was scouted by the Broncos.
He played for Brisbane in a trial match against Melbourne Storm last year and had a handful of games for Toowoomba Clydesdales in the Queensland Cup before fracturing his kneecap.
He missed the opening nine weeks of this season recovering from the injury but has impressed in Toowoomba's past five matches.

Vaeau, who also played union at Mangere College, said he was a stronger character for having leapt the hurdles he had.
"A lot of people who know me remember me as a hard man. I could stand my own ground. I wouldn't take a backward step against anyone," he said.
"My reputation helped me get through those years.
"I was the guy that you just don't want to mess with.
"I didn't seek trouble. It's just that once people saw what I could do on the field, they didn't want to go with me off it."
The Sharks boast what is arguably the NRL's most in-form pack but Vaeau was confident that he could handle them.
He said that he respected all of his opponents but that he would never be intimidated.
"I hate being stood over. I'd go with anyone. Reputations mean nothing to me. I couldn't care less," he said.
"That's just the way I've been brought up. I want people to think twice about running into me."
Teammate Brett Seymour, who will play five-eighth for the Broncos this week, predicted Vaeau would rattle some bones: "I've played with him the last couple of weeks (for Toowoomba) and he is a machine," he said. "He is very big and strong and he's got a good offload on him."
With six players on Origin duty and regular choices Justin Hodges, Karmichael Hunt, Ben Hannant and Greg Eastwood injured, the Broncos will field a makeshift line-up against the Sharks.
Scott Minto, playing his first game of the season after overcoming a pectoral tear, will start in the centres alongside usual second rower Dane Carlaw, while Vaeau joins Nick Kenny, Joel Moon and Ian Lacey on an inexperienced interchange bench.

Source: www.foxsports.com.au

any one scared!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stonecutter

First Grade
He likes to talk himself up. I hope he doesn't score 2 tries on debut like Charlie Leano did against us.

coolumsharkie

Referee
I like his attitude, although a bit overdone.

We should have far too much experience for this team.

Should be a carve up.

Thomo.

First Grade
this game has me worried. i hope sharks have a cautious attitude

i like the broncos forward pack, not bad at all.

GO SHARKIES!

The Dodger

First Grade
i read it in the papers.

bunch of tripe if you ask me.

hope thommo walks up to him and says

"got big muscles there bro, been working out"

then ben Vaeau's gonna say

"wanna fugg with me!"

then before ben can throw a hit, thommo comes in with the head butt, starts kneeing him in the gut, then throws him off the feild...

ok

Mr Saab

Referee
Sharks should win this based on the teams on paper, but around this time last yr the Sharks went up to Suncorp and played a weakened Bronco team and came up short.

Shark

Bench
What a wanker...

"I'm the guy you don't wanna mess with..."

Gonna look silly if he gets put on his butt first hit-up, hey...

carcharias

Immortal
106 kg's BWHAHAHAHAHAHA

I have blokes in my D2 oztag team heavier than that and they've done no weights what so ever.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
The once were warriors references are interesting. More so because NZ prime minister compared that story to recent events in Auckland where twin babies were conveyed to hospital and subsequently died from severe head injuries. The Maori family have closed ranks and the police are having a hell of a time figuring out who did it. The household is full of people who party every day and night usually finishing with a punchup. Go to the nz hearld. Its the biggest story over there at the moment.

fatshark

Bench
Thats paret of the problem with some Maoris. Get some piss into them and they just click...run as far as you can.

When this bloke comes on id get Kearney to run at him and then run around him.

beekershark

Bench
I'm less inclined to write off this kind of player....

Ever since I've travelled up to ANZ and then Lang Park to watch the broncos take on the sharks I have seen players of this kind rise to the challenge in the absence of the Origin players from the broncos sides.

They often play awesome games and physically dominate us at times.

I remember one winger did it to us at Anz on debut. L toquiri.

I also remember Sam Thaiday rising against us and throwing off defenders at suncorp in recent years.

Breadman

Juniors
Well he doesn't lack confidence. Would love to see him get put on his ass by one of our big boys

Latest posts