What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos v Lions Match

RugbyLeagueMan

Juniors
One can only wonder how dumb some of the management at the Broncos are! There must be someone there that realises that Rugby League is the number 1 sport in QLD and that the Broncos are the number 1 team in Brisbane. In business noone in their right mind gives an opponent exposure in their own market when there is no advantage to themselves. With decisions like this it seems the Broncos have a death wish and is totally decoid of ideas how to promote their own sport.

Mark Rudd

Juniors
Evidently they are proposing to play a gaelic rules game. If the NRL and AFL approve it.

Storm tried to do this a few years ago with the Demons. Never came off. I reckon it would be a great idea. The RL boys would probably get wholloped, but hey, who cares?

Maybe do it for charity? I'd go see it.

I'd actually like to see an AFL team in the World Rugby League 7's. Its far less physical and shorter than the full game so it wouldn't be a problem for the players. You never know, they may supprise!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
It could be OK for a laugh, or a fund raiser.

It would not be anything to take too seriously.

PB

Bench
RugbyLeagueMan said:
One can only wonder how dumb some of the management at the Broncos are! There must be someone there that realises that Rugby League is the number 1 sport in QLD and that the Broncos are the number 1 team in Brisbane. In business noone in their right mind gives an opponent exposure in their own market when there is no advantage to themselves. With decisions like this it seems the Broncos have a death wish and is totally decoid of ideas how to promote their own sport.

Ummm Brisbane Lions average over 26,000 people at their home games over the last three years, the Broncos get a few relatives and a dog and thats about it. And from memory when the Lions played Collingwood at the Gabba this year it out rated the Broncos match.

So dont be so sure that the rugby league "owns" the market up in QLD

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Yes, Bennett's years of no comments is finally starting to show it's effects.
RL ain't what it used to be up here.

XXXX

Juniors
"I'd actually like to see an AFL team in the World Rugby League 7's. Its far less physical and shorter than the full game so it wouldn't be a problem for the players."

Actually the Sydney Swans tried hard to put a team in a couple of years ago if my memory serves me right .However it was vetoed by the NRL .

PJ Marshal

Coach
Pfft the Broncos would get slaughterd by the Lions in crowd numbers, QLD is more AFL now days well its expected the Lions have won 3 flags in a row

*Paul*

Juniors
XXXX said:
Actually the Sydney Swans tried hard to put a team in a couple of years ago if my memory serves me right .However it was vetoed by the NRL .

Really? I wonder why, because they'd be on a hiding to nothing.

No chance of them being successful, and they'd most likely come out looking rather hopeless.

But any publicity is good publicity, I suppose.

miccle

Bench
PB said:
Ummm Brisbane Lions average over 26,000 people at their home games over the last three years, the Broncos get a few relatives and a dog and thats about it. And from memory when the Lions played Collingwood at the Gabba this year it out rated the Broncos match.

So dont be so sure that the rugby league "owns" the market up in QLD

:lol: you know absolutely nothing about this game you fool! Brisbane has, for the last three years, been the highest in terms of crowds in the entire NRL - averaging I think over 22,000 each year. Not to mention the fact that the TV ratings absolutely kill the Lions, and these have been 3 non-premiership winning years for us. But yes, of course.. it's all AFL up here :roll:

XXXX

Juniors
"No chance of them being successful, and they'd most likely come out looking rather hopeless. "

Probably the case .But why be afraid then ?

mono_mal

Juniors
Mr Parra Eels said:
Pfft the Broncos would get slaughterd by the Lions in crowd numbers, QLD is more AFL now days well its expected the Lions have won 3 flags in a row
qld is more afl is it just because the lions have a higher average crowd than the broncos. :lol:
mate have you ever thought to look past that and look at junior figures, tv ratings, and support of other competitions.
i havent even heard of the qld afl competition though my guess is it rates far below the qld cup.
you also must forget that there is more to Qld than Brisbane. im sure AFL is a larger sport in north queensland for example :roll:
as for the winners thing the lions cant keep it up for ever. they will soon fall down the ladder and their fans will jump off the bandwagon.
we've seen it happen in sydney with the swans and numerous soccer teams. fans seem to like something new and winning makes them actually bother getting to the games. i cant wait to see the results once they start to lose.

t-ba

Post Whore
The Dolphins should put in application for expansion. With the amount of people in Brisbane that hate the Broncos for super League and what they did to the BRL, a powerful traditional side playing out of Lang Park to put their colours behind might just be the ticket to deal some heavy damage to the Lions and repair the Super League damage. They've got the money, and with the NRL cash grant, they wouldn't have much in the way of problems financially. Add to that the cut rate price they'd get on QLD players (Look at the Broncos...), and they'd be strong in no time.

iggy plop

First Grade
Mr Parra Eels said:

Yep and Sydney is way more AFL than league these days too. Just look at the 70,000 crowds they were getting last year and back page paper coverage. More television coverage too.

Even Newcastle is more AFL these days. They just love the game now.

Chris_Brissie

Juniors
OY f**kNUTS!!!!!!!!!, We averaged 28, 725 in a year where we went shit, and we got 36 000 people to a game against a crap team (Dragons) on a friday night after a full day of rain, could u imagine if the Lions went bad, all the yuppies would give up, and it'd be back to having nobody at the GABBA in winter......I think the Lions/Broncos match is a brilliant idea, they would fill Lang Park for it (THAT WILL BE THE VENUE). If u take a different and business perspective, if the two clubs work together, they can achieve more than you can imagine...

Moggles

Juniors
The Broncos had pretty bad numbers at their games when they played out of ANZ Stadium due to the Stadium being crapola.
You will see the numbers at the Broncs rise now they play out of Lang Park.
I went to three games at ANZ during the time the Broncs played there.. This year I went to 4 games at Lang Park.. I don't follow the Broncos but I will certainly be going to a load of games in 2004..

Parra_Eels

Bench
, could u imagine if the Lions went bad, all the yuppies would give up, and it'd be back to having nobody at the GABBA in winter

thats a very stereotypical comment. although brisbane is embracing afl, rugby league will always be number one sport so there is no need to bad mouth the lions. its not like they are dominating the city. league always gets more paper and tv coverage so it will always be no.1