What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos vs Young Guns lineups and discussion

miccle

Bench
Anyone else getting to Suncorp early tomorrow for this one? No?

Read below and you might change your mind. Two f**king awesome squads going toe to toe, I can't wait. Tupou, McConnell, Ennis, Taylor and Lacey v. Bowman, Minto, Faiumu and Nicolau. Going to be a ball-tearer :crazy:

Aspley:

1. Denan Kemp
2. Rodney Davies
3. Jason Moon
4. John Te Reo
5. Tame Tupou
6. Ben Green
7. Brent McConnell
8. Nick Kenny (c)
9. Michael Ennis
10. David Taylor
11. Lachlan Morgan
12. Luke Brosnan
13. Derricke Watkins

14. Clifford Manua
15. Brynjar Ragnarsson
16. Ian Lacey
17. Fletcher Holmes

NQ Young Guns:

1. Michael Rose
2. Karl Johnson
3. Paul Bowman
4. Ben Farrar
5. Scott Minto
6. Jackson Nicolau
7. Shane Muspratt
8. Ray Cashmere
9. David Faiumu
10. John Frith
11. Joe Clarke
12. Jimmy Andersen
13. Ben Lowe

14. Scott Smith
15. Keiron Lander
16. Ben Vaeau
17. Sam Faust

In short...

You simply won't see two better-quality sides running around in rugby league reserve grade anywhere on the planet. Each team has one player who has played international football in the not too distant past (Tame Tupou and David Faiumu, if I'm not mistaken) and there are PLENTY out there with NRL experience... 11 out of the 34, if not more.

What the?

Some players might be forgiven for getting confused and passing to the opposition! Former Broncos/Clydesdales in Scott Minto, Joe Clarke, Ben Vaeau and Keiron Lander are lining up in the grey, blue, yellow and white of our northern enemy, while Brent McConnell will no doubt have a few words of wisdom to share with our young Broncs about his old team-mates from Townsville.

The backs...

A sprinkling of experience and young talent over both teams in the backs department. Tame Tupou, Paul Bowman and Scott Minto are no strangers to top class footy and Deanan Kemp, Jason Moon, John Te Reo, Michael Fose and Karl Johnson have all been touted as hot prospects.

The halves and hooker...

Oh. My. God. Sorry folks, it won't get any better or any tougher than this. Nicolau and Muspratt comprise NQ's halves duo, a young talented bloke with the world at his feet in the 6 and an old hardhead who knows the game inside out in the 7. The duo of Ben Green and Brent McConnell for Aspley, while untested, is bulging with potential. If they can click... look out Queensland Cup!

The hooker spots are a battle of the real titans, not those posers from the seedy strip 100km to our south. Ennis against Faiumu. Two top-line rakes who wouldn't look out of place in ANY rep team. This is where the game will be won.

The pigs...

Did I mention something about it not being easy before? Well, it stays as difficult to read, but this is where I believe Aspley has the advantage. Nick Kenny, David Taylor and Derricke Watkins are damaging at the best of times, and I really think that Lachlan Morgan is improving every week. They will need to be at their best as they face what will be a brutal battle against the likes of Joe Clarke and Ray Cashmere.

The bench...

Aspley's bench has a very "unknown" feel about it, but the dynamic Ian Lacey will definitely bring a bright spark into the match when the Young Guns big fellas are worn out, and the ever-consistent Fletcher Holmes won't let anyone down. Ever. The Young Guns do boast two former Broncos in Ben Vaeau and Keiron Lander on the bench, and they will no doubt be primed for a big one against their old team-mates.

Keep an eye on...

Brynjar Ragnarsson, playing in the number 15 jersey for Aspley. Apparently originaly from Iceland, this guy is a HUGE unit and was picked out by our scouts down in Coffs Harbour. Definitely one to watch.

The verdict...

Could be anything. BUT I think if our forwards match it with their boys and we don't let Faiumu murder us out of dummy half, we have just a touch more class and experience (particularly in our backline) which will help us sneak home. Aspley by 2.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
miccle said:
You simply won't see two better-quality sides running around in rugby league reserve grade anywhere on the planet.

I't ain't Reserve Grade.

The decision was taken by the now NRL clubs to abolish Reserve Grade in the 1990's. The competition they play in is the Queensland Cup not a "Reserve Grade" competition.

miccle

Bench
Sheesh, how picky do you want to get? It's football which is at the highest level underneath NRL in Queensland.

Reserve grade, Queensland Cup, 2nd grade... whatever. Isn't it more important to talk about and celebrate the great competition that it is?

langpark

First Grade
Those teams there show wat great depth both clubs have.

I think Ennis or Tupou would have been a better bench option than Perry tho.

Tigertread

Juniors
XXXX Cap said:
I't ain't Reserve Grade.

The decision was taken by the now NRL clubs to abolish Reserve Grade in the 1990's. The competition they play in is the Queensland Cup not a "Reserve Grade" competition.
You got it right XXXX Cap. The Qld Cup is a A Grade comp not reserve grade.
Some people got no idea.

miccle

Bench
Yep, some people sure got no idea.. just been following the comp for the best part of 15 years as well as covering it for the past 4 seasons.

Ah I love how people can get caught up in the little pissy details of a post on an internet forum and use it as slander against the author.

Gee I wonder why this place is so quiet all year.

Enjoy your A-Grade season. I know I will, just not here.

mud n blood

Juniors
It's not a pissy little issue at all.

this is typical of the mind-numbing sydney-centric rhetoric that brainwashed NRL "fans" :roll: get fed to justify Sydney decimating all rugby league outside its own perimeter.

Sydney has done nothing for regional football except rape and pillage.

Happy to argue this point .....

Bernie Lomax

Juniors
Guys, cut him some slack, he is geeing this clash up big time and trying to generate some interset in it. Don't kick him over using the wrong wording in discribing the Q Cup. If the clubs were so worried about the Q Cup being seen as a NRL "reserve grade" comp, then they should reconsider all these feeder situations, because where it stands, I can easily understand why people call it a NRL reserve grade comp. After the response that he got for his efforts, I wouldn't blame him if he didn't bother next time. Maybe one of you guys could step up and fill the void to make sure the article, fits your views ? Or maybe you won't and it will remain dead in here untill you jump all over another poster that shows a little bit of interest in informing people that have no idea about the Qld Cup, on what it basically is.

langpark

First Grade
Yeah, talk about nitpicking. I think it's an honour for it to be called NRL reserve grade.

Bernie Lomax

Juniors
langpark said:
Yeah, talk about nitpicking. I think it's an honour for it to be called NRL reserve grade.

I wouldn't go that far. But as the the older Q Cup fan base moves on, the majority of younger ones are only really interested in the NRL ( sad but it is reality ). So if you have to bite your tongue, and go with the flow if people get interested in the Q Cup, just because their NRL sides up and comers are playing in it, then so be it. Any interest is good interest and we shouldn't punish people for having this view, because it is the world we live in. Either work with it and generate more interset in the Q Cup, or be bitter and twisted and blow people out of the water because they don't want to support a comp like it should be/was back in the day. If you take this last option you will fight a losing battle that will do more harm than good. Lets support and grow the new generation of fans, no matter how and why they take interest in the comp.

Tigertread

Juniors
langpark said:
You might think it's an honour, I don't.
The Qld Cup is the major rugby league comp in Qld.

Seagullsrock

Juniors
miccle said:
Yep, some people sure got no idea.. just been following the comp for the best part of 15 years as well as covering it for the past 4 seasons.

Ah I love how people can get caught up in the little pissy details of a post on an internet forum and use it as slander against the author.

Gee I wonder why this place is so quiet all year.

Enjoy your A-Grade season. I know I will, just not here.

How can you follow the Qld Cup for 15 years when the competiton hasn't been running that long?:D

miccle

Bench
Local, top grade Qld footy for 15 years mate. Keep in mind I'm all of 22.

And this wasn't a freakin newspaper article. It was something I bashed out in 10 minutes over on the nospam37 site to try and educate some of the mainstream broncos fans that this competition is absolutely FANTASTIC for junior talent and produces some absolutely great contests and even better players.

But yeah, continue to nitpick and complain about the Sydney brainwashing I've obviously received despite being born here and growing up in a family of Valleys-boys, because that's all far more important than me trying to get Broncos supporters to look past the NRL and embrace this competition, isn't it?

Canard

Immortal
Miccle

For my two bobs.

Great article, excellent read, please keep it up and dont let the knockers get to you.

miccle

Bench
Cheers mate and well done to your boys yesterday too.

The Young Guns played very, very well. Hell, I think both sides did, but like in the NRL match, your mob executed extremely well, where we didn't do that enough.

miccle

Bench
From what I saw (I was taking a lot more notice of the Aspley boys) he went pretty damn well. A little scratchy early on in the piece, but got plenty of the ball and kept a pretty calm and cool head.

Latest posts