What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brumbies Recruiting And Promotions In Raiders Territory

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Ron Jeremy said:
Are the Brumbies still popular? haven't seen a game of theirs on TV for 3 years?

No Super 14 matches are shown on FTA. They're all live on Foxtel. The Brumbies popularity continues but as was thought I don't think it's actually effecting the Raiders. at all. The Brumbies inception into the Super 12in 1996 coincided with both the Super League war and the Raiders fall from grace so as luck would have it Rugby thrived in the ACT. Recently though while the Brumbies have been selling out Canberra Stadium (last week v NSW and this week v Western Force) the Raiders crowd has been growing from 9,000 against Melbourne to 13,500 against Newcastle then just last week to 16,000 against the Roosters. I now believe it's the style of play adopted by the Raiders this year plus rising stars Carney, Dobson and Zillman that's bringing the crowds back. Canberra seems to be footy mad at the moment with bumper crowds attending both codes matches.

russ13

First Grade
On Pay TV the wooden spoon favourites seem to be doing alright:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308921&page=4
Raiders love Mondaysby: Adam LuciusSportalCanberra is looking to cash in on its unexpected success in Monday night football by asking the NRL to schedule more matches in that timeslot.

The Raiders have attracted good crowds to both their Monday night matches at Canberra Stadium, notching up wins over Newcastle and the Roosters in the process.

In addition, match broadcaster Fox Sports has released figures showing 1.2 million people have tuned in at some stage to both Monday night games involving Canberra.

While most clubs are keen to avoid playing on the first day of the working week, the Raiders have embraced the concept and will request further Monday night games in the future.

"With so many people coming to the matches at Canberra Stadium, and the huge number tuning in on Fox Sports, it’s great for the players, the sponsors and the Raiders brand," Canberra's general manger Don Furner said.

"Looking to request Monday night's early next season is something we will definitely have a think about next year, but we'll probably steer clear of them in the colder months."

Canberra captain Alan Tongue agreed the Monday night atmosphere suited his young side.

"It's worked very well in our favour in the two matches we've played on a Monday," he said.

"We come up with two good wins and the crowd have been good."

"We are doing something right and now we've got to try and take that form on the road."

Furner said the key for his club was to keep supporters coming to matches on other days.

"Hopefully the people that have been coming out to watch Monday night footy will come back for our other home games," Furner said.

"The people of Canberra have proven over the past few weeks that the Raiders are still their team, and hopefully their support can encourage others to come along and watch us play."

The Raiders, yet to win away this season, travel to Toyota Park on Saturday to meet Cronulla.

The Green Machine will have to do without the services of lock Neville Costigan, who received a one-match ban for headbutting Roosters back Amos Roberts.

Here is the best the Brumbies have done recently:
http://72.52.152.33/~leagueun/forums/showthread.php?t=104804&page=102
10 LIVE: RUGBY UNION: S14 BRUMB V WARATAHS FOX Sports 2 76,313

Raider Ultra

Bench
Good to see Ozzie's pathetic thread has been sidetracked. Shouldn't you be on a plane to some far off exotic destination?

Raider_69

Post Whore
Raider Ultra said:
Good to see Ozzie's pathetic thread has been sidetracked. Shouldn't you be on a plane to some far off exotic destination?

we can only hope, Ultra!

Raider Azz

Bench
In addition, match broadcaster Fox Sports has released figures showing 1.2 million people have tuned in at some stage to both Monday night games involving Canberra.
further proof to shut up the wanks who seem to think the raiders don't get picked on channel 9 because "they don't rate"

boonboon

Juniors
Good to see Monday nights doing well, I was sure they would being an ex canberran - It is probably the best place to have Monday night football along with Meblourne

The NRL really should look into trying to work thier shceduling to suit as many teams as possible ie - Cowboys on a Sat nite, Raiders on Mon Nites, Melbourne actually works well for the early Friday nite game but also look to avoid AFL whenever possible , Newcastle and Brisbane, GC - I dont know but I am sure they seem to do well on a sunday arvo or Friday nites

Raider_69

Post Whore
monday nights only suit us for the early part of the season, otherwise in winter the nights are too cold for alot of people
mid to back end of the year we need sunday games

nqboy

First Grade
The Cowboys do a great job in their regional areas with coaches, development officers and injured and junior players on regular trips far and wide, FG trials in Cairns and Mackay each season and Young Gun trials in places like Rocky, Innisfail and Atherton that I know about plus others that I didn't bother to note down. They're always running coaching clinics for players AND coaches and they also have very heavy community involvement with schemes like Adopt-A-Cowboy for schools, hospital visits and all the other usual stuff.

Since their resurgence, they have really worked hard to weave themselves into the fabric of the North Queensland community and it is paying off, with more and more local kids heading to the Cowboys for their shot at the big time and more and more coming through the ranks. Plenty of kids still head to southern clubs, but plenty don't, which never used to happen.

Brutus

Referee
Fat Quaddie Freedman lived a lot of his life in Yass and would be happy to know that yawn and AFL are big there. In fact yawn is killing it all over the country.

Woods99

Juniors
Brutus said:
Fat Quaddie Freedman lived a lot of his life in Yass and would be happy to know that yawn and AFL are big there. In fact yawn is killing it all over the country.

All over the world, actually, Brutus.:)

nqboy

First Grade
'S'funny. Up here atm the Reds chairman gave the ARU a real bake over the last few days, saying crowds are down, ratings are down, the game is sliding and the powers that be are patting themselves on the back thinking how well they are doing. I don't follow onion so I didn't sweat the details and it might be an interstate spat but there was some pretty strong language used and he wasn't pulling any punches. Here's hoping...

Woods99

Juniors
t-ba said:
The world's more than a bunch of Pacific Islands, Devon and Occitania.

Errr, yes it is. And rugby is played all over it. I assume you haven't done much travelling.

Woods99 said:
Errr, yes it is. And rugby is played all over it. I assume you haven't done much travelling.

Yeah, it's a pastime in a lot of countries.

So is chess.

Still, you must be chuffed with how Union is going these days in the country you live in.

:lol:

Slackboy72

Coach
The fact is Union will always be big in Canberra and the Southern Highlands. The Brumbies dropped 'ACT' from their name to recognise all the communities from Jindabyne to Coota to Yass who participate in the ACT Rugby system. Money from Vikings and an entrenched Rugby culture in the community ensures Rugby's prosperity in the region for a long time. The same goes for AFL in the Riverina.

As for the Raiders, they need to a lot more in healing the rifts they caused in the community when they were king sh*t. Winning and attractive football may bring the crowds back but Canberra is a Rugby town. Queanbeyan is a League town.

Slackboy72

Coach
And the Dragons look after the Illawarra which goes down to Batemans. I know they've done stuff further south but I'm not sure the South Coast is Steelers territory.

Latest posts