What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bud News

True_Believer

Juniors
The way I look at it, irrespective of his ability, his injuries put our future at risk. We were spending $500k+ to keep him until the end of 2025. That's another 2 years. If we want to turn this ship around quickly, we'd need some assurances that he'd be able to stay on the field and play to his ability. So far, this hasn't been the case and hence this poses a bigger risk for us than letting him go. That money could be better spent elsewhere.

Not saying he won't come good or be a good player, but let someone else work on that. Get the team moving forward asap with more consistent players over those next 2 years. And then down the line, if he has come good, we can look at securing him again once the team as a whole is in a much better position.

Dragons4me

Juniors
Another promising junior in Bud stupidly let go by the Dragons. This will bite us on the butt in the way it most often does with us. They generally have a blinder playing against us. As mentioned on here, what's the backup plan when Hunt goes down?? Congrats Dragons. Stuffed up as only you know how to do.

getsmarty

Immortal
Another promising junior in Bud stupidly let go by the Dragons. This will bite us on the butt in the way it most often does with us. They generally have a blinder playing against us. As mentioned on here, what's the backup plan when Hunt goes down?? Congrats Dragons. Stuffed up as only you know how to do.

Player managers can have a big say in all this...

Last edited:

steerlerbab

Juniors
Player managers can have a big say in all this...
Bud could no longer be considered a junior. Apparently he was on $500k. Though very talented, he could not be considered a marquee player and was very injury prone. With the money freed from Bud, Mbye and possibly with Musgove and Finnai, we should finally be able to go after a marquee player.

getsmarty

Immortal
Bud could no longer be considered a junior. Apparently he was on $500k. Though very talented, he could not be considered a marquee player and was very injury prone. With the money freed from Bud, Mbye and possibly with Musgove and Finnai, we should finally be able to go after a marquee player.

You still need to replace the other 3.... flanno has been talking to players.... lets see what eventuates.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I'm sick and tired of hearing how injury prone Bud supposedly is. Tedesco, Tom Trbojevic, Kotoni Staggs, Kieron Foran, Luke Keary, Adam Reynolds, all considered injury prone at various stages of their careers. Sometimes the player gets through it, sometimes they don't, but how will you know unless you persevere with them? No doubt if those great players played for us, we would have let them go as well, because they were injury prone.

All the talk about Bud being injury prone, it's just about trying to come up with an excuse as to why we let another promising junior go. I have no doubt this will come back and bite us big time.

Duane Dibley

Juniors
I'm sick and tired of hearing how injury prone Bud supposedly is. Tedesco, Tom Trbojevic, Kotoni Staggs, Kieron Foran, Luke Keary, Adam Reynolds, all considered injury prone at various stages of their careers. Sometimes the player gets through it, sometimes they don't, but how will you know unless you persevere with them? No doubt if those great players played for us, we would have let them go as well, because they were injury prone.

All the talk about Bud being injury prone, it's just about trying to come up with an excuse as to why we let another promising junior go. I have no doubt this will come back and bite us big time.
100%. Not to mention that Flanagan hasn't asked Bird to move on considering all of his injuries or potentially picking up Blore on the back of 2 ACL's. It's utterly baffling that the most promising player to come out of the club in ages was never given a real opportunity to show what he can do before being shown the door, to keep a guy who is playing like he doesn't want to be here.

True_Believer

Juniors
I'm sick and tired of hearing how injury prone Bud supposedly is.
Supposedly? I'd say he certainly is. I've tried to search for a list of injuries he's sustained over the 4 years he's played first grade. He only played 1 game in 20 in a shortened season - there's no real info available. There's no specific dates regarding 21 but a couple of articles refer to a "large chunk of time" he was sidelined due to multiple hamstring injuries. For 22 he had a shoulder injury in the middle of the year. For 23 he's had 2 hamstring injuries. There may be others but historical information on injuries for any player is difficult to find.

I don't think it's an excuse, it's a reality that needs to be taken into consideration. We can't afford to have $500k sitting on the sideline while we try to improve the team in the next 2 years. As I said, let someone else work on that while we use that amount of money either towards another half that we can keep on the field OR elsewhere in the team.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Supposedly? I'd say he certainly is. I've tried to search for a list of injuries he's sustained over the 4 years he's played first grade. He only played 1 game in 20 in a shortened season - there's no real info available. There's no specific dates regarding 21 but a couple of articles refer to a "large chunk of time" he was sidelined due to multiple hamstring injuries. For 22 he had a shoulder injury in the middle of the year. For 23 he's had 2 hamstring injuries. There may be others but historical information on injuries for any player is difficult to find.

I don't think it's an excuse, it's a reality that needs to be taken into consideration. We can't afford to have $500k sitting on the sideline while we try to improve the team in the next 2 years. As I said, let someone else work on that while we use that amount of money either towards another half that we can keep on the field OR elsewhere in the team.
That's the trouble, people are coming up with statements purporting to be facts without any actual evidence. How many games has he actually missed due to injury? You don't know, but somehow have come to the conclusion that he is injury prone. You say let someone else work on his injuries, I say you're letting someone else get all the benefits. And Bud Sullivan on $500k per year? Where did that come from? It's all conjecture on your part.

Lots of statements being made to justify what people think, but very little factual information being provided. I just see a very good junior being let go after having been given very few chances by very incompetent coaches.

True_Believer

Juniors
That's the trouble, people are coming up with statements purporting to be facts without any actual evidence. How many games has he actually missed due to injury? You don't know, but somehow have come to the conclusion that he is injury prone. You say let someone else work on his injuries, I say you're letting someone else get all the benefits. And Bud Sullivan on $500k per year? Where did that come from? It's all conjecture on your part.

Lots of statements being made to justify what people think, but very little factual information being provided. I just see a very good junior being let go after having been given very few chances by very incompetent coaches.
I've provided more facts than your insinuation that he isn't injury prone. I would say that (at least) 3 confirmed injuries in the last 2 years plus articles stating he's missed a good chunk of 21 gives us more information than you've provided in your claims. You've just thrown a few names out there without any actual evidence of their injury history or anyone claiming they were injury prone.

"Lots of statements being made to justify what people think, but very little factual information being provided. " Where's your factual information to support your claims?

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I've provided more facts than your insinuation that he isn't injury prone. I would say that (at least) 3 confirmed injuries in the last 2 years plus articles stating he's missed a good chunk of 21 gives us more information than you've provided in your claims. You've just thrown a few names out there without any actual evidence of their injury history or anyone claiming they were injury prone.

"Lots of statements being made to justify what people think, but very little factual information being provided. " Where's your factual information to support your claims?
Well see, the thing is, I didn't insinuate or claim anything about Bud. What I have done is query why people are stating as fact that Bud is injury prone. You yourself said historical data was hard to find. When you say he missed a good chunk of 21, everyone playing in the KOE cup missed a good chunk of 21 due to Covid. When you say he's had 3 injuries in the last two years, big deal. How does that make him injury prone? Take someone like Tedesco. Played 1 game in his first year in the NRL due to an ACL injury. Cracked a bone in his leg in his second year. Only played 8 games in his 3rd year due to a broken kneecap. That's injury prone. A couple of hamstrings and a shoulder injury is nothing by comparison.

If you can find some actual facts to justify your belief that he is injury prone, I'd happily agree with you. As it is, it still looks to me like people are trying to make excuses to justify what looks like a stupid decision by the club.

Parko1310

Juniors
Well see, the thing is, I didn't insinuate or claim anything about Bud. What I have done is query why people are stating as fact that Bud is injury prone. You yourself said historical data was hard to find. When you say he missed a good chunk of 21, everyone playing in the KOE cup missed a good chunk of 21 due to Covid. When you say he's had 3 injuries in the last two years, big deal. How does that make him injury prone? Take someone like Tedesco. Played 1 game in his first year in the NRL due to an ACL injury. Cracked a bone in his leg in his second year. Only played 8 games in his 3rd year due to a broken kneecap. That's injury prone. A couple of hamstrings and a shoulder injury is nothing by comparison.

If you can find some actual facts to justify your belief that he is injury prone, I'd happily agree with you. As it is, it still looks to me like people are trying to make excuses to justify what looks like a stupid decision by the club.
The issue is his hamstring's. His injury history with them is very worrying given his age. To have had 3-4 hamstring injuries in two years, at the age of 21 is a massive red flag. Hamstrings are very recurrent injuries (evidenced by Trbjoevic's issues with his hamstrings). This is also just well known in general. These hamstrings are extremely likely to hamper Bud for the rest of his career. If he can get them right, good on him. But on an inflated salary next year I can see why the decision has been made to invest in other areas of the squad. Whether you accept the 500k figure or not, Bud was getting a big upgrade as it was anticipated he would be the full time halfback next year. Just another dumb decision on behalf of the club from the past. The best Flanagan and the club can do is make the best decision based on available evidence. Any decision like this is largely a guess. But it's an educated one. As they say, the best ability is availability, and if you're taking up a fair sized chunk of the cap and the evidence we have tells us there's likely to be problems going forward with Bud's hamstrings, then it may be in the best interest to let him go. I reiterate it MAY be the correct decision. At the end of the day, it's an educated guess.

There may also be a heap of other factors at play that have contributed to this outcome that we just don't know about. Maybe Bud agitated for a release again, which I would say he likely has. Maybe Flanno just didn't think he was good enough. Maybe Bud is a disruptive character to deal with. We just don't know, but there are reasons behind the decision. I'd be shocked if the hamstring injury record played no part in what eventuated though.

True_Believer

Juniors

There were 25 NRL games and 21 Cup games in 21. Bud played a total of 8 games that year across both comps. How many players missed a good chunk in KOE due to Covid? Where's your facts?

True_Believer

Juniors
The issue is his hamstring's. His injury history with them is very worrying given his age. To have had 3-4 hamstring injuries in two years, at the age of 21 is a massive red flag. Hamstrings are very recurrent injuries (evidenced by Trbjoevic's issues with his hamstrings). This is also just well known in general. These hamstrings are extremely likely to hamper Bud for the rest of his career. If he can get them right, good on him. But on an inflated salary next year I can see why the decision has been made to invest in other areas of the squad. Whether you accept the 500k figure or not, Bud was getting a big upgrade as it was anticipated he would be the full time halfback next year. Just another dumb decision on behalf of the club from the past. The best Flanagan and the club can do is make the best decision based on available evidence. Any decision like this is largely a guess. But it's an educated one. As they say, the best ability is availability, and if you're taking up a fair sized chunk of the cap and the evidence we have tells us there's likely to be problems going forward with Bud's hamstrings, then it may be in the best interest to let him go. I reiterate it MAY be the correct decision. At the end of the day, it's an educated guess.

There may also be a heap of other factors at play that have contributed to this outcome that we just don't know about. Maybe Bud agitated for a release again, which I would say he likely has. Maybe Flanno just didn't think he was good enough. Maybe Bud is a disruptive character to deal with. We just don't know, but there are reasons behind the decision. I'd be shocked if the hamstring injury record played no part in what eventuated though.
"Several authors have identified that the best predictor for a hamstring injury is a prior hamstring injury. There are other risk factors involved in predicting vulnerability to hamstring injury, but none have proven more consistent than prior injury. This is not to say that if one suffers a hamstring injury they will definitively suffer another. However, the probability of re‐injuring the same hamstring in the future becomes considerably higher."

Article

NRL Physio Comments

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
There were 25 NRL games and 21 Cup games in 21. Bud played a total of 8 games that year across both comps. How many players missed a good chunk in KOE due to Covid? Where's your facts?
They didn't play 21 cup games in 21. Dragons played 13 games before the season was curtailed due to Covid. I don't know how many of them Bud played. If he played those 13 plus the 5 NRL games, that's a pretty fair effort. Certainly doesn't make him injury prone.

In regards to providing facts, YOU have made the claim that Bud is injury prone. YOU need to provide the facts to support your case, not me. So far you've only offered up some very flimsy evidence.

since77

Juniors
Or we could have kept Sullivan, released CHunt along with the others tapped on the shoulder and freed up a heck of a lot more money. Far smarter.

Illusion

Bench
Mate I can sti
Or we could have kept Sullivan, released CHunt along with the others tapped on the shoulder and freed up a heck of a lot more money. Far smarter.
I can still see this Hunt thing going pear shaped , with him still wanting to leave ........ Year older , injuries , 100% , If I was coach let him go ....... Unless Flanno has something teed up that will benefit us and he leaves sooner than later .......