What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Building my own Arcade Cabinet.

redvscotty

First Grade
So I've decided to build an arcade cabinet for my son for Christmas.

I will document what I've done here, complete with photos, tips, software options, and whatever else I think will help in case anyone else wants to do one themselves.

It won't be a full sized cabinet, time, space limitations and practicality prevent me from doing the full one, plus I kinda like the smaller version.

FPC0RXPI20VYLIQ.MEDIUM.jpg

After a bit of digging around on the internet, I came across some plans and a few designs that I liked the look of, so have decided to follow their plans, but give it my own feel.

I've estimated the whole project will cost around $300, depending on the hardware I choose to use.

At the moment I'm leaning towards a Star Wars theme, but will keep it a fairly generic Rebels/Empire type set up with no characters, mainly because I'm terrible at painting/art.

If you've got any ideas/feedback/criticism, happy to hear it!

redvscotty

First Grade
Things I'll need:

Material for cabinet.
Computer hardware.
Software (OS/Emulators).
Joysticks/Buttons/Harness.

So far, without going too much into the construction of the cabinet, I think I'll be going MDF. It seems to be the best option, although I have seen people do it in other materials like Plywood. I'll need some T-moulding to round out the edges, and I'll need to undercoat and then paint the cabinet to whatever colour scheme I go with. I'm thinking a galaxy type paint job and can enlist the help of a painter to help with this. Will also need a hinge for the back door of the cabinet, and possibly one for the controls hinge If I go that way (will make it easier for maintenance).

I had an old computer that would have been perfect for this, but I think the moisture has gotten into it. I know the PSU is dead, and while I could get the motherboard to power up and there were no beeps during post, I couldnt get the standalone GPU to work. Need an adapter to plug my monitor directly into the motherboard, so I'll test that out on Monday.

I have a 150GB hard drive (overkill, but it's free), formatted and ready to go. I also managed to pick up a 19" (4:3 Aspect ratio) monitor for 15 bucks on Gumtree this week, still undecided if I will leave the casing on it or take it out of the casing and build a support around it.

So far with the software, I'm thinking I'll install Tiny7 (stripped down version of Windows 7), then install MAME and put a front end over the top. I'll try out MALA first and see how that goes.

Joysticks and buttons, with the USB harness I can pick up from eBay for about $80 - $100. Includes 2 joysticks, 6 buttons for each player, 1 & 2 Player buttons. Also includes instructions on how to wire it all up as well.

Dogs Of War

Coach
If you go to aussie arcade forums you will find all the things you need. I used to build cabinets to sell in the early 2000's once I discovered mame.

As for joysticks I would suggest if it's for you to keep for the years to wire it yourself with an ipac. Main reason is that a lot if those prewired harnesses don't work well when multiple buttons are pressed which you notice nore in 2player plus games. Cost you a little more but worth every cent.

I should add that if your doing that design then you can get themes that you just need to get printed out to put on the cabinet.

Last edited:

InFlames

Juniors
Pretty cool project. I have a jamma set up in my games room but didn't build the cabinet or anything.

Goodluck with it. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

abpanther

Staff member
Man I really want one of these but I don't have the handyman skills to put it together

Are there people out there who can build them for you? I'd be happy to pay for it

Dogs Of War

Coach
Plenty. Though you can buy the cabinets precut. Like the one above or old school sit down cocktail cabinets. Even 3 sided cocktail cabs.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Plenty on ebay. I know a guy that does these as a hobby. The way it's explained is pretty straightforward...to bad I suck building anything.

abpanther

Staff member
Plenty on ebay. I know a guy that does these as a hobby. The way it's explained is pretty straightforward...to bad I suck building anything.

Exactly

I tried playing Streetfigher on my PS3 the other day, it's just not the same as playing with the 6 button arcade set up

redvscotty

First Grade
Update on the Hardware side of things:

I picked up a PC off eBay for $50:

Asus A8NE-FM board for socket 939, with Athlon 64 3500+ 2.21 ghz K8
Zalman 460w power supply.
1x 1gb, 3 x 512 mb. Corsair PC3200u
dual digital output vid card 128mb .- Nvidiea Quadro Fx 560

Should work nicely for what I want to do with it. I am hoping to pick it up today and load it up with Tiny7, MAME and Mala front end. I'll be testing with vertical versions of Pacman and Space Invaders.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Update on the Hardware side of things:

I picked up a PC off eBay for $50:

Asus A8NE-FM board for socket 939, with Athlon 64 3500+ 2.21 ghz K8
Zalman 460w power supply.
1x 1gb, 3 x 512 mb. Corsair PC3200u
dual digital output vid card 128mb .- Nvidiea Quadro Fx 560

Should work nicely for what I want to do with it. I am hoping to pick it up today and load it up with Tiny7, MAME and Mala front end. I'll be testing with vertical versions of Pacman and Space Invaders.

Make sure your box has plenty of ventilation with that CPU/GPU combo given that you've decided to run a smaller box it's pretty old gear that runs notoriously hot. Any reason why you decided against running a raspberry pi 2? Uses virtually no energy and would have pretty similar benchmarks with that video card, not to mention it has a GPIO interface.

redvscotty

First Grade
Make sure your box has plenty of ventilation with that CPU/GPU combo given that you've decided to run a smaller box it's pretty old gear that runs notoriously hot. Any reason why you decided against running a raspberry pi 2? Uses virtually no energy and would have pretty similar benchmarks with that video card, not to mention it has a GPIO interface.

I've never played around with a raspberry Pi at all so wasn't sure where to start. I've set up a similar machine on a PC so kind of know what I'm doing in the windows environment to set it all up.

I'll have ventilation on each side of the cabinet.

redvscotty

First Grade
OK, I'd kinda forgotten I had made this thread. Had a few bills that needed to be looked after before delving further into this.

I read up more about the Raspberry Pi and have now ordered a Pi 2 model and a Xin Mo USB encoder bundle with joysticks and buttons to hook up to the Pi.

I've cut out most of the cabinet pieces and will starte putting it all together this week.

I have just about everything I need at this point and hope to have a partially finished system to show you by Sunday night.

Photos to come in the next few days of the construction of the cabinet.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
OK, I'd kinda forgotten I had made this thread. Had a few bills that needed to be looked after before delving further into this.

I read up more about the Raspberry Pi and have now ordered a Pi 2 model and a Xin Mo USB encoder bundle with joysticks and buttons to hook up to the Pi.

I've cut out most of the cabinet pieces and will starte putting it all together this week.

I have just about everything I need at this point and hope to have a partially finished system to show you by Sunday night.

Photos to come in the next few days of the construction of the cabinet.

Good to hear and probably a wise decision going down the RPi route. The community support is much better than you'll ever get doing it with your own hardware, plus it is super easy to upgrade if/when future hardware revisions come out. Not to mention it'll pay for itself with virtually no energy consumption.

redvscotty

First Grade
TBH, those were the main points in making me change my mind. That, and getting a whole set up with arcade controls and all wiring for around $180.

The Pi kit I got included SD card, case, all cables required and a wireless dongle for about 89 bucks express post delivered. The arcade controls kit was about 90ish. Comes with 2 joysticks, 12 buttons, 1 & 2 player buttons, credit buttons and the wiring harness/UCB controller and all wires required.

Should have both today, will hopefully get some pics up tonight of all the gear I have so far.

Still need to get a speaker, and look into the possibility of having a USB plate on the front with a headphone jack. Mainly to plug in a USB XBOX/SNES whatever kind of controller if its ever needed.

I was going to go with a lit up marquee at the top of the box but unsure at this stage. I think I'll build the cabinet first, then worry about that later if I have the time.

Thinking of using this as the art for the sides:

02CCjB3.jpg

I have matching scheme art for the top and controls.

redvscotty

First Grade
Rightio, the hardware turned up today. Haven't had time to have a play around yet, will probably have to wait until Sunday to get a good go, and then I'll have to see how crook I feel (birthday on Saturday)

Full list of equipment gathered so far:

- Player 1 controls: 1 joystick, 6 buttons, player 1 button, credit button
- Player 2 controls: 1 joystick, 6 buttons, player 2 button, credit button
- Xin Mo USB controller with wiring and microswitches
- Raspberry Pi 2 Mobel B with clear case and heat sinks
- 16GB Sandisk MicroSD card with SD Card reader
- HDMI Cable
- Power brick and switchable cable to Micro USB for Pi power
- Power connector for back of cabinet
- Hinges and lock for cabinet door
- 19" Monitor at a 4:3 aspect ratio (only VGA but with an adaptor will suit)
- All MDF pieces cut out bar the marquee front and top of the cabinet
- Artwork

I need:

- HDMI to VGA adaptor
- Hinge for the control panel (for repair work to the controls and front access to cabinet)
- Speaker
- MDF top pieces cut
- Artwork printing
- Paint
- T Moulding
- Powerboard (for inside of cabinet)

Optional:

- USB input and headphone jack plate
- Marquee lighting

Cost so far: Approx. $240

redvscotty

First Grade
Ok, a bit of a picture update. Wasn't feeling too bad yesterday so really got stuck into it.

The planning stage. Had to cut out the individual sheets, match them all up and then stick them on the MDF ready for cutting.

98QF79v.jpg

The sides cut out. Was a bit rough but I spent an afternoon a couple of weeks ago smoothing it all out and getting it prepped.

njRmJtr.jpg

Packages arrived last week with the Pi and the controls kit.

EiHyz5q.jpg

The Pi kit. Came separated but I put the board in the clear case before taking the photo. Have run a few tests and left the device on for a few hours and it doesn't seem to get hot enough for the heatsinks just yet.

sHX8em5.jpg

redvscotty

First Grade
Boot up of the standard NOOBS OS you get packaged with the Pi. The next one is the desktop of the base system.

SWfbPuO.jpg

Sa2Ju3c.jpg

The Pi in action. Shitty photo but that's literally it. My phone is bigger!

byx1THm.jpg

Chucked in the pre loaded MicroSD card i made the other day. Got Metal Slug X up and running through the NEO GEO Emulator.

PSAxaUW.jpg

Last edited:

redvscotty

First Grade
I then got the controls panel out and put the holes in for the buttons / joysticks. It's definitely not perfect but with the buttons in you can't notice it.

fyDRNnQ.jpg

Ready to paint! Have put on a couple of coats but need some finer sand paper to get it perfect.

DBnXz8x.jpg