What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Building the next NZ team

Perth Red

Post Whore
The warriors continue to show the development systems in nz are just not in place yet. I think the amount of kiwis in nrl is as smoke screen given most of them have come through the Australian pathway systems.
until nrl gets serious about supporting nzrl to improve participation and quality of jnr systems nationally it’s hard to see how a nz2 can compete.

Matiunz

Juniors
The warriors continue to show the development systems in nz are just not in place yet. I think the amount of kiwis in nrl is as smoke screen given most of them have come through the Australian pathway systems.
until nrl gets serious about supporting nzrl to improve participation and quality of jnr systems nationally it’s hard to see how a nz2 can compete.
You’re 100% right in the fact that most of the kiwis in the NRL and also the Warriors have had the majority of their development in Australian League systems or majority of the Warriors that don’t have their development in the NZ Union system.
You’ll often hear ‘Warriors have an entire country to pick from’ but the truth is they’re competing with 16 other clubs for that talent, most of which can offer something staying in NZ just can’t.
That’s not to say NZ2 shouldn’t come in based of the Warriors as they’d at least have a different scope of players that the Warriors tend to ignore being Auckland centric (to be fair they can only cast their net so far).
Warriors are starting to make positive moves in the youth development area but it’ll be a while before that bears fruit, NZ2 would have to do similar to compete as recruiting outside talent will be one of the toughest sell’s in the NRL

Matua

Bench
While I don't disagree with your main thesis, we've been saying since the start domestic league needs to sort itself out, the Warriors aren't failing due to pathways, the majority of the failing players in that team are experienced guys.

Yet you think a Perth-based team won't have any of these issues?

Matua

Bench
Yet you think a Perth-based team won't have any of these issues?
Sheesh bro, can't you have this repeated argument in a Perth related thread? You guys keep stinking up NZ threads (well even more stinked up) attacking @Perth Red.

It's so weird, us NZers get attacked for not being excited enough about NZ2 for legitimate reasons based on the domestic game etc, yet you guys attack @Perth Red for being too excited about PR1.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sheesh bro, can't you have this repeated argument in a Perth related thread? You guys keep stinking up NZ threads (well even more stinked up) attacking @Perth Red.

It's so weird, us NZers get attacked for not being excited enough about NZ2 for legitimate reasons based on the domestic game etc, yet you guys attack @Perth Red for being too excited about PR1.
He's obsessed, he cant help himself!

I don't think a person advocating for Perth is in a position to complain about New Zealand 2 not having enough player pathways.

The biggest obstacle for Christchurch will be money.

docbrown

Coach
This seems like an odd hill for someone from Perth to die on.

MugaB

Coach
Don't forget we all need to prop up the perf soapbox
All coz PR needs a local team of his own, which like I said I don't mind as expansion but if your rejecting the bears/jets due to bring a sydney brand, instead of rolling with it for starting pathways sake, then it's just hypocritical to talk about NZ2 or anything pathway related in any potential expansion area

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’s an observation based on the repeated disapointment of the warriors. Seems nz can produce good players if they move to australia at 15. The main justification for nz2 seems to be player base but the warriors continue to show that the pathways are not yet there in nz.

problem is nrl doesn’t want to build from the base up. Be it in nz or WA.