What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Building the next NZ team

Matiunz

Juniors
Vlandys has said any new club cant cannabilise existing ones. Not sure Christchurch would that much with warriors in any meaningful way though?
Given we are talking 6 or 7 years away in likelihood for NZ2 I dont get the "not yet" statments.

The positive is there seems to be 3 genuine bidders for a club so plenty of interest there.
If you have an NRL team you follow and you live in CHCH chances are it’ll be the Warriors.
Warriors are essentially the default national team so there will be a decent amount of cannibalism if NZ 2 came in. The Warriors just having the North island is more than enough though

final say

Juniors
If you have an NRL team you follow and you live in CHCH chances are it’ll be the Warriors.
Warriors are essentially the default national team so there will be a decent amount of cannibalism if NZ 2 came in. The Warriors just having the North island is more than enough though
Christchurch cannibalising the Warriors is like the Cowboys cannibalising the Broncos.
Everyone in North Queensland would have been Broncos until they got their own team.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Cannibalising though more refers to active attending fans of which Christchurch will steal virtually none.

You won't even steal TV viewers because newly minted Kea fans will most likely still watch the Warriors.

It'd probably be just the Wahs merchandise sales that are dented but that's the price of growth and over time it will grow both fan bases if the rivalry catches fire

final say

Juniors
Cannibalising though more refers to active attending fans of which Christchurch will steal virtually none.

You won't even steal TV viewers because newly minted Kea fans will most likely still watch the Warriors.

It'd probably be just the Wahs merchandise sales that are dented but that's the price of growth and over time it will grow both fan bases if the rivalry catches fire
You could argue that any new team cannibalises an existing team no matter where. If they're a Rugby league fan already.. they follow someone. Perth, Central Coast, Brisbane and Nz ... but how many new fans do they bring is the question.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You could argue that any new team cannibalises an existing team no matter where. If they're a Rugby league fan already.. they follow someone. Perth, Central Coast, Brisbane and Nz ... but how many new fans do they bring is the question.
Not sure its even new fans so much as turning passive fans into active ones buying membership, subscriptions to pay tv and attending games.

final say

Juniors
Not sure its even new fans so much as turning passive fans into active ones buying membership, subscriptions to pay tv and attending games.
It will get actual new fans though. When I was living on the gold coast I knew plenty of people who didn't at all follow the sport became hooked after attending and having " their ! " team.
Christchurch has massive potential for actually New fans as does Perth and attending isn't the only thing. People will become fans right across the South Island as will WA.

Wellington is in the same category.
The same can't be said for Brisbane or PNG.

Matua

Bench

In a NZ-Auckland context this isn't as true as what you think. Auckland is made up of people from all over the country so there will be a decent amount of South Islanders up there who go to Warriors games. But they might not do so if they're now actively following a SI team. A lot of out of towners in Auckland will go to Super rugby games if their home team is playing but won't go out for the Blues.

Agree TV viewers wont be impacted, in fact that's where they'll pick up some, a Cantab who doesn't follow the Warriors will likely keep the TV on and watch the Keas if they're playing after the Crusaders.

final say

Juniors
In a NZ-Auckland context this isn't as true as what you think. Auckland is made up of people from all over the country so there will be a decent amount of South Islanders up there who go to Warriors games. But they might not do so if they're now actively following a SI team. A lot of out of towners in Auckland will go to Super rugby games if their home team is playing but won't go out for the Blues.

Agree TV viewers wont be impacted, in fact that's where they'll pick up some, a Cantab who doesn't follow the Warriors will likely keep the TV on and watch the Keas if they're playing after the Crusaders.
What delusion. If the South island gets a team it will be massive. You're so out of touch.

Matua

Bench
What delusion. If the South island gets a team it will be massive. You're so out of touch.
Do you have comprehension problems? That post was about the Warriors losing support to the SI team, and the SI team likely gaining more viewers for league in the SI.

Maybe actually read my posts, try and actually comprehend them before you auto respond.

final say

Juniors
Do you have comprehension problems? That post was about the Warriors losing support to the SI team, and the SI team likely gaining more viewers for league in the SI.

Maybe actually read my posts, try and actually comprehend them before you auto respond.
"a Cantab who doesn't follow the Warriors will likely keep the TV on and watch the Keas if they're playing after the Crusaders."
I comprehend well. You think, that a South Island team will play second fiddle to the Crusaders...
12 million dollars worth of talent playing for 25 weeks in the biggest Rugby competition in world will be the biggest ticket in the South Island by a long way!
You're well off the mark.

Maximus

Coach
"a Cantab who doesn't follow the Warriors will likely keep the TV on and watch the Keas if they're playing after the Crusaders."
I comprehend well. You think, that a South Island team will play second fiddle to the Crusaders...
12 million dollars worth of talent playing for 25 weeks in the biggest Rugby competition in world will be the biggest ticket in the South Island by a long way!

Is your knowledge from pretending you were born there?

Matua

Bench
WTF is wrong with you. That comment was about more SI people actually watching league, those that don't currently watch league/Warriors. Your brain is cooked by the forever war and you're just punching at shadows.

Brian potter

Bench
How many warriors fans or fans of other NRL teams living in Christchurch get to see their team in the flesh?

the overwhelming majority will become fans of the new South Island NRL team or will either attend games as passive fans out of interest to see live NRL action.

They will during SR.

It may change over time, but generational ties will take years to break, no matter how much money is involved. If RA suddenly pumped 20m pa into the Reds, no one would expect them to threaten the Broncos anytime soon. It took nearly 30 years for the Warriors to get where they are now, in a market far far less parochial and far less rugby entrenched than CHCH is.

Not saying NZ2 wont be well supported; IMO they will be. I wasn't sure earlier this year but the more I see Warriors support sustaining despite some truly shit performances, the more I think NZ2 will be well backed. Lots of RL supporters down there starved of NRL action, flash new covered stadium that's well located which will attract casual fans even during CHCH winters. But the Saders get those benefits and they'll be settled into the new stadium and leveraging those benefits long before NZ2 are likely to get going.

It'll take a long long time to knock them off their perch. They're as synonymous with CHCH as the Broncos are with Brisbane.

BuffaloRules

Coach
They will during SR.

It may change over time, but generational ties will take years to break, no matter how much money is involved. If RA suddenly pumped 20m pa into the Reds, no one would expect them to threaten the Broncos anytime soon. It took nearly 30 years for the Warriors to get where they are now, in a market far far less parochial and far less rugby entrenched than CHCH is.

Not saying NZ2 wont be well supported; IMO they will be. I wasn't sure earlier this year but the more I see Warriors support sustaining despite some truly shit performances, the more I think NZ2 will be well backed. Lots of RL supporters down there starved of NRL action, flash new covered stadium that's well located which will attract casual fans even during CHCH winters. But the Saders get those benefits and they'll be settled into the new stadium and leveraging those benefits long before NZ2 are likely to get going.

It'll take a long long time to knock them off their perch. They're as synonymous with CHCH as the Broncos are with Brisbane.

I doubt anyone seriously thinks NRL will be taking over from Union in Chch anytime soon…

Out of interest ..what other teams would they support in other national competitions there ?

No A League or AFL to worry about at least …

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I doubt anyone seriously thinks NRL will be taking over from Union in Chch anytime soon…

Out of interest ..what other teams would they support in other national competitions there ?

There’s the Phoenix in A League but that’s like the Warriors, not really active support from Chch. Same for the Breakers. Other than that, Super Netball I guess?

Seems a bit of optimism on these boards at least. But yea its a long way off.

In terms of other teams... they don't have any teams in other trans-tasman comps as @SpaceMonkey has already pointed out. They do get in behind their NPC team though which has historically been strong.