What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bulldogs consider Central Coast move

***MH***

Bench
http://nrl.com/News/Latest/tabid/10244/default.aspx?id=52308
Bulldogs consider Central Coast move
AAP
Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg says the NRL club may consider relocating to the NSW central coast.
The embattled club is yet to secure any sponsorship deals for next season and following the loss of their biggest star Sonny Bill Williams and a dismal season, the club is facing a $2 million gap in its coffers.
Greenberg told News Limited while a move to Gosford had not been discussed at board level, the NRL's golden handshake that accompanies the move is enticing, especially as the financial squeeze in Sydney threatens the viability of clubs.
The NRL has offered $8 million as a starting point to a club that relocates.
"It's not been discussed at board level - ever," Greenberg told The Australian.
"I reckon every Sydney club NRL chief executive should be looking at Gosford.
"If you don't look at it, you haven't done your job. You would be silly not to look at it."
Greenberg also admits that the move from Belmore to Olympic Park hasn't been ideal.
"We have had some frustrations and roadblocks in our current situation at Sydney Olympic Park," he said."
"It certainly hasn't transpired as we would have hoped. We're looking at a range of options going forward.
"Everyone should be looking at Gosford."
Posted:Wed, 06 Aug 2008 00:10:41

BrisVegas

Juniors
Here is a more detailed version from The Australian

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24134826-5012431,00.html

Bulldogs consider moving to Gosford

Brent Read | August 06, 2008

AS his club lurches from one crisis to the next, Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg has admitted he wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't investigate the prospect of relocating to the central coast.

Greenberg also warned other chief executives they would be silly not to explore the merits of relocation as the financial squeeze threatens the viability of clubs in Sydney.

While Greenberg said a move to the central coast had never been discussed by the Bulldogs at board level, he conceded the club had to keep its options open given the current financial climate.

The Bulldogs are yet to secure any sponsorship deals for next season, leaving the club with a potential $2 million hole in its balance sheet.

The club is also reeling from its worst season in recent memory. The Bulldogs have won only five games and are recovering from the loss of their best player, New Zealand superstar Sonny Bill Williams, who walked out in dramatic circumstances to pursue a career in French rugby union.

Only last week player manager David Riolo told The Australian the Bulldogs should consider the central coast, pointing out the club no longer played or was based at its traditional home in Belmore.

Against that backdrop, there are key figures in the club who advocate a move to the region, where a ready-made stadium, a rugby league-mad public and a golden handshake from the NRL await.

Greenberg, who also spoke about the prospects of returning to the club's former home at Belmore Oval, admitted the central coast was worth exploring.

"It's not been discussed at board level - ever," Greenberg said.

"I reckon every Sydney club NRL chief executive should be looking at Gosford.

"If you don't look at it, you haven't done your job. You would be silly not to look at it."

That statement prompted an immediate response from Manly chief executive Grant Mayer.

"I'll put my hand up. I'll be happily called silly because we're not looking at the central coast," Mayer said.

"But we wish the Buldogs the best at the central coast. The Central Coast Bulldogs has a ring to it."

While Mayer has the backing of two wealthy families in the Delmeges and Penns, the Bulldogs are forced to rely on their leagues club for financial support.

All leagues clubs in Sydney are under pressure due to falling numbers of customers in harsh economic times.

The NRL has offered $8million as a starting point to any club that relocates, but that figure could increase dramatically in plans being drawn up for the game's longer term.

There is a school of thought among some chief executives that clubs should be offered more than $30 million to move.

Former Canterbury great players are divided over the prospect of the Bulldogs shifting wholesale to the central coast.

"If they move to the central coast, that would be the worst thing they have ever done," former rugged prop Geoff Robinson said.

"They certainly wouldn't get my vote, that's for sure. If we could move back to Belmore, that would be the best move for us."

However, former premiership-winning centre Peter Mortimer said the central coast was an option worth exploring once the club was back on its feet.

"I think a move to the central coast would be premature for them at the moment," Mortimer said.

"If they don't change their thinking it won't matter where they end up, the club is not going to be a success.

"Having said that, if they get their act together, the league has a tremendous amount of incentive to go there. It would be worth considering."

The Bulldogs' current sense of frustration has only been exacerbated by their move to the Olympic Park precinct.

The club signed a two-year deal to set up its training and administration base at the venue but things haven't gone as planned.

"We have had some frustrations and roadblocks in our current situation at Sydney Olympic Park," Greenberg said.

"It certainly hasn't transpired as we would have hoped. We're looking at a range of options going forward.

"Everyone should be looking at Gosford.

"In the future, we would have to gauge the reactions of our fans to see if they wanted us to investigate it."
Reads like a non-story that is a shot across the bow of the Olympic Park precinct to get the training grounds situation sorted.

Last edited:

bartman

Immortal
He's certainly being quite... honest :shock:. Early days though, he'd have to take it through the Board and all the meetings and faction-ridden elections that would entail.

I understand the Bulldogs already own a club premises or two on the Central Coast - bowls clubs and the like. So it's not a totally foreign area to those running the Bulldogs operations....

I'd feel sorry for local Dogs fans, but at some point a Sydney club experiencing financial problems is going to look to expand its network into another region, at the cost of it's traditional brand name.

nadera78

Juniors
If they could redevelop Belmore into a 25,000 capacity stadium then that would be ideal, I think there is a fans group campaigning for it. Although, from an English viewpoint, the Bulldogs have always seemed to have 'issues' since I first started watching Aussie RL ten years ago.

joshreading

Staff member
I don't think there is much question about WHERE they will play - it is Stadium Australia. It does seem to be a question over the training venue. The fact is the Bulldogs are possibly one of the only sides that could average over 25000 per game given the right circumstances.

The Dogs are the wrong team to move to the Coast.

Ryan

Juniors
I think it would be a great idea for The Dogs fans, and the club. It's a fantastic ground guys. Plus, the atmosphere at a ground like that as upposed to ANZ or something is totally different. You would get that tribal crowd feel back.
Bulldogs games have become so sanitised crowd wise.
It would be a perfect fit.
The only Dogs fans that wouldn't want this are the one's that think they couldn't be bothered travelling there. The one's that COULD be bothered, would realise the benefits are:-

1) Beautiful Stadium / Outlook
2) Financial winfall for the club, meaning survival
3) Club in a massively growing area - focused sponsorships
4) Singleton would back you probably - more stability
5) Crowd atmosphere
6) Great Leagues Club in regards to location to ground
7) Perception of The Bulldogs (Belmore to Waterfront)
8) Insular - what I mean by that is no clubs could all of a sudden pop up close by
9) New rivalries - Newcastle could be a local darby - massive crowd puller - ANZ / Aussie just doesn't afford that benefit
10) The club will again LOOK supported. I know they are already, but at Blutongue - perception will be there as well.

In my opinion, this club needs to move on, and turn a new leaf. Thye need to say to the NRL that they are making sure their future is certain.

One or two successful seasons up there, and they'll pull 20,000 regularly like Bronco's, Newcastle and co. like other isolated teams.

This can only lead to further success, and more players wanting to play for them.

bobmar28

Bench
I could be ok with that if they where to play a few big games at ANZ every year.

Last edited:
NOt sure Norths would be that keen to let the one thing they've got left in the NRL go, ie. NorthPower/ExpressAdvocate/BlueTounge

this better not happen :fist:

you're the reason - and others like you - why sydney league is such a joke

"Oh I hope this doesnt happen!" Boo-hoo to you. Explain a 2 million dollar shortfall and try and make it up in goodwill. Go to gosford. I'll see you off.

You would be doing League a giant service. And ensuring the greater sydney rl tradition remains in tact. Take a hit for the team! The RL Australia team!

I don't think there is much question about WHERE they will play - it is Stadium Australia. It does seem to be a question over the training venue. The fact is the Bulldogs are possibly one of the only sides that could average over 25000 per game given the right circumstances.

The Dogs are the wrong team to move to the Coast.

I think the story is a bit of a beat up based on truth. At best a story about considering it maybe. Until this goes to the board or looks at going to the board, it will just be a story

In any case, hmmmm, which club do you think should go to the coast? My actual wish is for sydney city. I wish the Bulldogs just got their own 30k stadium. That would be perfect....but belmore is a fantasy.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I hope they move, even though I like within walking distance of Olympic Park, it would be much better for a team to move out of Sydney, and thus secure there future. I want that to be the Dogs if no others are willing to do it.

Another benefit of a team with strong support in Sydney moving, is that many who are not willing to attend games in Gosford, would attend other teams matches when they play in Sydney.

Last edited:

Coaster

Bench
I hmmmm, which club do you think should go to the coast?

I think the sharks.

The have a great following with there core supporters, and the financial rewards would be massive for them as they own there own ground and surrounding areas in a great area of sydney.

To me there wedged, and have no room for growth currently, and they dont have a history they couldnt leave behind (sorry sharks supporters)

To me it would change them from STg's poorer cousin to a geniuine powerhouse in the NRL.

Eels Dude

Coach
Would the central coast want the bulldogs? Their reputation isn't great, I'd have my doubts as to whether they'd get accepted by another city.

Ram Man

Juniors
I think the story is a bit of a beat up based on truth. At best a story about considering it maybe. Until this goes to the board or looks at going to the board, it will just be a story

In any case, hmmmm, which club do you think should go to the coast? My actual wish is for sydney city. I wish the Bulldogs just got their own 30k stadium. That would be perfect....but belmore is a fantasy.

Why do you say that...is there any logic to that suggestion or is it purely based on your hatred of the club?

do you know the inside workings of the sharks?

or are you just speculating.

its easy to offer up the sharks on the central coat plate. i mean "they havnt won an" blah blah.

regardless of winning nothing...we still have history in the league and the sutherland shire.. i cant see how the central coast will be any great savior. sure, its an 8 million cash injection now..but is it really a viable option.

they had a team before...a merged and moved one and it failed miserably.

why would moving a current team there work now?

Latest posts