What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bulldogs consider Central Coast move

I suspect if it is not the Bears, then the Central Coast would only accept a team with it's own new branding? They might be owned by an existing club behind the scenes (eg Bulldogs) but play with a different name, and the older team name would be kept alive in a lower division (eg VB Cup).

That is the only way I think it would work, given we butchered Central Coast support with the Northern Eagles debacle, and perhaps that is why there is talk in the article of the league upping the grant to move there from $8m to $30m?

It then becomes a financial winner for a club to move up there, for the cost of just abandoning its name. And we all know the people involved in teh game nowadays seem like they'd sell tradition at the rustle of some coins, it's only us fans that really hang onto the importance of traditional areas and team names. It has little to do with on-field considerations, running a club these days is almost purley financial enterprise for CEOs and Boards.

It wasn't that they wanted the Bears, it was more that they liked the "Central Coast" Bears concept. Surely they'd embrace any team provided they renamed themselves Central Coast and played every home game there. None of this split home grounds crap.

Any Central Coast posters, agree / disagree?

bartman

Immortal
Don't underestimate the amount of effort the Bears organisation put into the Central Coast prior to the (botched) move. There were posters in bus shelters for a few years before hand. That's probably why people got into the concept, because it seems more like a partnership than a relocation.

And that's probably why people didn't embrace the Northern Eagles split home thing when it took over. It was just a marriage of convenience rather than a developed plan. Whichever club moves up here needs to do the same thing, work with the Central Coast league and people, not just arrogantly assume they can stick their Bulldog or whatever logo on and people will automatically lap it up.

ByRd

First Grade
Guys, I'm a Manly fan when saying this - I reckon the Bulldogs have done as much as they possibly can to fix their perceived behavioural problems a few have hinted they have earlier in this thread.

Look at the club now. Absolute legends like Hasem El Masri (role model for kids), Andrew Ryan, Luke Patten and co.

There were some bogan fans that let of flares etc, but they are dismissed and banned as well, and they aren't directly affiliated with the club. If you look at the players next year they will have:-

Patten
Utai
Morris
Millard
El Masri
Roberts
Kimmorley
Hannant
Ennis
Kouperitsas
Ryan
DANNY Williams
Matua

Sullivan
Tsoulos
Hickey
Te Maari

And that's a VERY tidy team. Consider then guys like this in Premier League:-

Armit
Barba
Bott
Cleal
Crisp
Emelio
Groom
Holdsworth
Morrin
Nanai
JOE Williams

Damn....that's almost a 1st grade Premier League team !!

Just imagine this on the Central Coast - fresh start.
That team you named will be no where our side for next year lol

1. Patten 2. El Masri 3.Morris 4. Winitana/Millard 5. Utai/Idris/Nanai 6. Roberts/Barba 7. Kimmorley 8. Hannant 9. Ennis 10. Hickey 11. Ryan 12. Koups 13. Maiuta 14. Barba/Roberts 15. Kite 16. Hodgson 17. Te Maari

Dogs Of War

Coach
I am sure if the Bulldogs move there, they will do it properly. Firstly by moving all the training etc there, and also trying to integrate with the community.

Teddyboy

First Grade
would be a crap move...for the most of the past 5 years we've averaged just as much as bluetongue holds. A team such as Roosters/Sharks should be the ones thinking about this with 12k averages or less. We are always up around 16-18k which is about how many the stadium up there holds. Even this year we're coming 2nd last and averaging close to that amount. Our home crowds in Sydney will only grow over the coming years with the heavy focus we have on memberships at the moment.

Bollocks the Sharks crowds have been great this year,if anyone should move it should be Penrith/Souths or Parramatta.

Moffo

Referee
f**k off we'll never move out of sydney

greenberg is being taken out of context

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
greenberg is being taken out of context

I agree, it appears very much to be a media-spoon-feed idea, solely based around reports that the club is yet to re-sign sponsors for 2009 and beyond... which under normal circumstances wouldn't have happened anyway.

Now... as for what Wests is Best said - I've lived on the Central Coast for 22 years... I'm quite sure I have a good idea about the area. :lol:

T to the T

Juniors
It's not going to happen:

* Dogs one of the biggest pullers in Sydney
* AFL going to put a franchise in West Sydney soon. Surrender territory at your peril
* This is merely a rallying call to all Doggy fans, an empty threat if so

The Bears are the only team for the Central Coast:cool:

Northern Bears + WA Reds for 2012

Last edited:

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
It's not going to happen:

* Dogs one of the biggest pullers in Sydney
* AFL going to put a franchise in West Sydney soon. Surrender territory at your peril
* This is merely a rallying call to all Doggy fans, an empty threat if so

The Bears are the only team for the Central Coast:cool:

Northern Bears + WA Reds for 2012

Rugby league fans cannot go on about SBW, moral behaviour etc then, on the flipside, allow the fraud against the Bears to continue by relocating another club to Gosford.

The CC Bears was what the NRL promised to the CC and North Sydney - and should be put in place asap. The "bankruptcy" was a crock. The Neagels was a crock - just helped a broke Manly to survive.

The CC bears brings CC and North shore back to rugby league - backed by Singleton. Only crime and stupidity are stopping this happening.

T to the T

Juniors
Rugby league fans cannot go on about SBW, moral behaviour etc then, on the flipside, allow the fraud against the Bears to continue by relocating another club to Gosford.

The CC Bears was what the NRL promised to the CC and North Sydney - and should be put in place asap. The "bankruptcy" was a crock. The Neagels was a crock - just helped a broke Manly to survive.

The CC bears brings CC and North shore back to rugby league - backed by Singleton. Only crime and stupidity are stopping this happening.

Here, here. But that's the 'I'm alright Jack' I was alluding to in a thread similar to exist, which is blighting the sport these days:roll:

We need to right the last wrongs of SuperLeague. But these wrongs don't need to be righted for the sake of it, RL is losing ground on the North Shore and the Central Coast is calling out for a team.

The Bears funded a considerable amount of CC Stadium I was led to believe, I don't know the full story of how they were screwed but was aware that they were financially stronger than Manly but didn't get the license for/when the Northern Eagles died.

Hopefully the Northern Bears with 8/9 on the Central Coast and 3/4 in North Sydney will help bring an element of closure for those long suffering Norths fans in one of RL's biggest 'crimes' down under. It's just a shame that I don't think Singo is still up for funding the franchise according to a recent article.

How frustrating is it being an RL supporter at times!?!?!?

Northern Bears and WA Reds for NRL 2012!

yeah.

i think it would be rather stupid to move the team with the highest support out of western sydney when the mexicans are invading.

mightybears

Bench

Testify, Dr Ronny