What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bulldogs fullback Ben Barba stood down indefinitely

mattyg

Bench
IMO we need to scrap this whole face of the game thing...putting too much pressure on an individual player and it is a team sport. Shit marketing ploy which the commission should get rid of and come up with something new.

As a dogs fan its really disappointing but we need to prove we can play and win games without our star player. If he goes down injured we need to have a back up plan. Now without graham and barba (arguably our best forward and best back), it is a great chance for some other players to put their hand up. Looking forward to seeing how we go and hope barba gets well soon and we are back with all guns blazing when origin comes around.

Clarke

Juniors
If it does prove to be the kind of offence that deserves a sacking ala Lui, Leo-Latu (try saying that) it will be interesting to see what the Dogs and NRL do. If they sack him some other club will sign him for sure, unless he is de-registered. There needs to be a proper policy in such events. The club involved can't be allowed to lose a player just because he offended while at that club only for any other club to take advantage.

Not even close to being a problem

Yeah I'm sure our hard work commission will go to town on 9 if Wally is proven wrong :roll:

Lol. It's not up to them

Good coaching, a bit of tough love and Des Hasler making sure no player thinks he is bigger than the team

Des Hasler did not make this decision. The Canterbury Administration told Des how this was going to be.

From SMH:

So could be only a few weeks? Is that just optimism from his manager? If its the case than this isn't that big a deal. I wonder why the dogs wouldn't just do the old "He is carrying an injury" if it was though?

I got to hand it to the new ARLC they certainly have developed a way to ensure the "drugs/match fixing" stuff is forgotten about quickly.

Canterbury believe It is more important to be open, honest and clear with the fans. And good on them for that.

You dont get suspended for breaking up with your woman and throwing money on the ponies or on Queen of the Nile.

No, you get suspended for breaking the clubs code of conduct which includes some of that stuff

Folau will be there next year

they wanted him there this year according to yesterdays DT

Yeah & the DT is never wrong

I though TG handled it pretty well. Especially the one dropkick in particular who kept implying it was the public's right to know what personal issues he was dealing with

100%

If he's back in a few weeks we'll all know it's a f**king publicity stunt. You don't go on about all these personal demons, troubled childhood, obvious gambling and alcohol issues and whatever else is going on in the little f**ks head and be recovered within weeks. If they're serious about this and Barba seriously has issues bad enough to almost get him sacked then 6 months will be the bare minimum. You don't come out and say he's ill and needs help and he's hit rock bottom and then a few weeks later say he's all better. Dogs are f**ked. Shit backs apart from Morris, shit halves without him and their best forward out for half the year.

Yep, because there is so much to gain out of this publicity stunt

BunniesMan

Immortal
"It could be six weeks, it could be six months," Greenberg said.
"Ben's at a point where I think football is the furthest thing from his mind."
As the Bulldogs prepare to host their season launch at Doltone House on Darling Wharf tonight, Greenberg confirmed that Barba's list of breaches warranted termination of the final three years of his contract.
"In the last week or so I've seen some things that worried me," Greenberg said.
"We needed to make sure we got on the front foot with him before it became something more drastic."
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...y-leagues-summit/story-e6frexnr-1226585446700

DURING the Bulldogs' trial match against the Canberra Raiders in Goulburn on Saturday night, Canterbury superstar fullback Ben Barba turned to an on-field trainer and said: "I don't want to play footy any more."

Officials said he was almost relieved when he was stood down, with some saying he was "a mess".
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...sues-to-overcome/story-e6frexp9-1226585455096

Seems like the issues are a lot bigger than his manager said. At one point today he was saying he could be back in a week or 2.

I think it'll take a lot longer than that.

For his sake, for Canterburys sake and for rugby leagues sake I hope they don't take any shortcuts, take as long as it takes and help him properly so when he is back he has gotten rid of all of his demons.

Clarke

Juniors
JT is f**ked now.

Probably discover he has rape dungeon within the week.

The sad part about this is I know a thing or two his done wrong during his career that could see as much publicity as Brett Stewart got. Hopefully it's not found.

The wording is "the club was informed of a number of behavioral issues"

If it was blueing with a teammate that is an odd choice of wording.

Players blue all the time, a professional club like the Dogs would usually deal with that in house.

Shit players have punched on with the coach and had little had about it

He is dealing with a number if issues, of these issues some to stretch back a long period of time to when he was a boy.

You have to pity Dave Smith. Wk1 in the job the ACC affair, Wk3 the darling child of the game gets suspended by his club and pulled from promoting the season opener. Must be wondering what's next!

Don't pity him at all. I congratulate him.

Is this the first time Barba has had any publicised problems?

No

natheel

Coach
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...y-leagues-summit/story-e6frexnr-1226585446700

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...sues-to-overcome/story-e6frexp9-1226585455096

Seems like the issues are a lot bigger than his manager said. At one point today he was saying he could be back in a week or 2.

I think it'll take a lot longer than that.

For his sake, for Canterburys sake and for rugby leagues sake I hope they don't take any shortcuts, take as long as it takes and help him properly so when he is back he has gotten rid of all of his demons.

Put it this way he was probably being a tad optimistic in saying a week or 2 especially considering the magnitude of greenburgs pressed today it comes off as a lot more serious than 1 or 2 weeks out of the game.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Can I just ask one thing; if this has been dragging on for over a month, what was going through his head when he scored the hat trick during the All stars match? He seemed to be in good spirits that night.

natheel

Coach
Can I just ask one thing; if this has been dragging on for over a month, what was going through his head when he scored the hat trick during the All stars match? He seemed to be in good spirits that night.

Yeh very interesting point there. Not sure maybe the fight with his teammate was what broke his spirits

some11

Referee
Sounds like he doesn't want any responsibility if he's 'relieved' to be stood down and keep going on benders.

Canard

Immortal
They are very sympathetic articles from the tele.

Makes the Dogs response look heavy handed and insensitive, there better than that I believe however

whall15

Coach
Redneck Hadley on the Today Show.

"Barba should be commended, it wasn't like he was shot at in Kings Cross or anything."

I wonder who he's referring to...

Didgi

The sad part about this is I know a thing or two his done wrong during his career that could see as much publicity as Brett Stewart got. Hopefully it's not found.

:lol: You don't know shit, but if you post vague statements on an internet forum maybe some particularly thick people will believe you.

Drunk on a Friday night? Flicking beer at Willie Tonga? #codeincrisis!

POPEYE

Coach
The bloke could simply be employing the Rooster Method, easiest way out of a contract is to be a naughty boy,
and who can blame him, what has anti-Australian south west Sydney got to offer a boy from the bush.
Good luck on his quest . . . Thurston 5/8, Bowen 1/2 and Barba #1 sounds good to me

Latest posts