What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bully gone???

alien

Referee
sounds like he might be going to nz warriors after this season :shock:

alien

Referee
South Sydney Rabbitohs hooker Issac Luke set to sign with New Zealand Warriors

May 7, 2015 - 11:00PM
Brad Walter
Sports Reporter

New Zealand hooker Issac Luke has been linked with a stunning move to the Warriors next season and is set to seek a release from South Sydney.

Luke, who played for the Kiwis in last Sunday's 26-12 defeat of Australia, is believed to have told Rabbitohs officials he wants to return to New Zealand for family reasons and talks with the Warriors are so advanced a deal could be announced in days.

It is understood the NRL premiers won't stand in Luke's way given his service to Souths since joining the club from Canterbury in 2007.

The signing of Luke would be a massive boost for the Warriors after recently snaring Sydney Roosters fullback Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and represents the biggest recruitment coup for the club since luring Steve Price and Ruben Wiki across the Tasman in 2005.

With halfback Shaun Johnson also at the club, the Warriors would have three of the four members of the New Zealand spine from last weekend's historic third consecutive Test defeat of the Kangaroos.

The Warriors have been trying to convince Luke to move home since 2011 and pursued him vigorously the last time he was off contract in 2014.

However, the 27-year-old re-signed with the Rabbitohs and had been expected to play out his career with the club.

He is a member of Souths leadership group and has captained the club on several occasions this season, including during their successful Auckland Nines campaign earlier this year.

Luke, who has played 33 Tests for New Zealand, is considered a senior member of the Kiwis team and led the haka before and after last Sunday's Test in Brisbane.

A member of the New Zealand teams that won the 2008 World Cup and the 2010 and 2014 Four Nations tournaments, Luke was also named the No.1 hooker in the world in 2013 when awarded the Rugby League International Federation hooker of the year award.

Since joining Souths in 2007, Luke has played 176 NRL matches for the Rabbitohs and won the prestigious John Sattler Medal in 2010 as the club's best and fairest player.

The loss of Luke would be a massive blow for Souths but they have been fighting off approaches from rival clubs to keep rookie hooker Cameron McInnes.

Luke has previously hinted at his desire to return home to New Zealand, saying last year: "It would be great to come home one day, but at the moment my focus is on performing for the Rabbitohs".

After missing last year's grand final win through suspension, he no doubt would like to finish his stint with Souths by helping the club to another premiership.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/south-sydney-rabbitohs-hooker-issac-luke-set-to-sign-with-new-zealand-warriors-20150507-ggwr3t.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Ttime

Juniors
As much as this pains me, The Warriors is the ONLY club i would be understanding of for him to go to.

What kills me though is that we have lost Nathan Peats and Apisai Korisau in order to retain him.
I wonder who the club holds in higher skill and potential out of the three... You'd have to say Peats, Korisau and then McInnes... Here's hoping we just haven't seen the best of McInnes yet.

jamaman

Juniors
We look forwad to having the Naki boy back in NZ!!
but give Big Kudo's to the South Sydney setup and development..chur! chur!

Phil9496

Juniors
Maybe Souths need to take a look at young Shannon Crook from the Dragons. Played well for the Drags in the nines and then got a short 10 min stint in the charity shield. His kicking game is second to none and can put his outside backs and the outside. Not a bad goal kicker as well. Stuck in the Cutters biding his time. Think his contract is up this year but has Benji and Widdop in front. So may have a bit of a wait there.

Zigwaa

Bench
Confirmed by the Rabbitohs. Very said to hear. He's achieved some great things at Souths, becoming one of the top hookers in the game. Best of luck to him.

Rabbitohs Agree to Release Issac Luke from the Remaining Two Years of his NRL Contract

Rabbitohs Media Release
Fri 8th May, 10:30AM
A A http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/_jcr_content/par/newslist_95ce.rss

1431040684483.jpg

The South Sydney Rabbitohs have agreed to a request from hooker Issac Luke to release him from the remaining two years of his playing contract, effective at the conclusion of the 2015 NRL season, to return home to New Zealand and take up a contract with the New Zealand Warriors.
Luke approached the Club about the release recently, a request which the Club has granted.
Rabbitohs Head Coach Michael Maguire says Luke is keen to return home to New Zealand to be closer to family.
“Issac came to us with a request to head back home to New Zealand from next season, for himself and his young family to be closer to their family in New Zealand, and we have agreed to that request,” Maguire said.
“I have a close association with the Luke family, his wife Mickayela and his three beautiful kids, and I can completely understand his desire to be closer to his family in New Zealand.
“Issac has been, and still is, a key part of this squad for many years now and I’m certain that he will be doing everything in his power to make sure his final season in the red and green is a successful one. He assures me that he has a number of goals he still wants to achieve at South Sydney and he and his team mates will be working hard to achieve those goals.
“We will bid him farewell at the end of the year, but for now Issac is still very much part of this team and this Club and we’ll cherish having him as part of our squad for the remainder of 2015.”
Luke says he will be doing everything he can to bring success to the Rabbitohs in 2015.
“I want to let our Members and fans know that I will be playing as hard as I can for South Sydney this year even though I am moving on at the end of the year.
“For me, this is all about my family. I feel that’s it’s best for me and my family to return home to New Zealand at this time in our lives and I’m very thankful that the Rabbitohs have allowed me to do that at the end of the year.
“I have enjoyed every minute of my time with the Rabbitohs, going right back to my debut in 2007. I will always hold the Rabbitohs Club, Members and fans very close to my heart and I’m looking forward to giving everything I have to the team for the rest of the year.”

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2015/05/08/rabbitohs_agree_to_r.html

rabbitohs95

Bench
Absolutely gutted but it was bound to happen eventually.

Hopefully this means we re-sign everyone else and we further develop Cameron this year so he can play 80 minutes. He has fitness on his side and if Lichaa at the Bulldogs can play 80 he surely can.

Sad to see one of my favourite players of all time not become a South Sydney one team player, but he will always be a South Sydney legend. Love your work Bully and best of luck in NZ.

arda.dalcik

Juniors
go hard to bring apisau korisau back

not getting a run at penrith and have mcinnes on the bench that will be the best option i dont really think that mcinnes is up to first grade standard.

My mate seen Micheal maguire at the airport and asked him whats happening to souths.

he said "premiership is the worst thing that can happen to a club, you lose all your best players"

we will be trying to stay competitive over the next few years but it will definatly be a rebuilding stage.

BEN TEO
SAM BURGESS
ISSAC LUKE all gone

wouldnt be surprised if INGLIS is gone next year and TOM BURGESS!!!!!

Achillies

Juniors
Not that bothered about this. McInnes is definitely good enough, he just needs a chance. I'd expect him to play much more minutes now as the year progresses. Its a big cap saving as well. I'd expect that the club is close to re signing McInnes and we should be able to keep Grevshmul now aswell. Long term it's a bad outcome.

Latest posts