What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bunker bullshit, blunders and balls ups

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Seen it, I get it that they protect the head and that's close, but he doesn't hit him in the head.

Another one like the Roger sin bin - it was potentially dangerous, but not actually dangerous.

Big Marn

Bench
Seen it, I get it that they protect the head and that's close, but he doesn't hit him in the head.

Another one like the Roger sin bin - it was potentially dangerous, but not actually dangerous.
i wonder if the neck is now considered part of the head. I guess the crowd reaction plus the fact the tackler started at a lower position and rose up in the tackle didnt help

1724348264201.png

1724348989803.png
this angle looks like the neck isnt even touched. Penalty for mind at worse but not a bin. /agree.
Having said that is there enough of a wrapping action? looks suspiciously shoulderchargey.

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Yeah, they are told that making an upward motion in the tackle can be dangerous. And the neck should be protected. All things told, it's probably a penalty, is what I think I'm getting at. I don't think it's quite legal, but nor is it 10 minutes-worthy. I dunno.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
His head or neck isn’t touched, the kid took a big shot across the shoulder, if there was any contact with the neck or head, he would have showed some pain and grabbed it, he just bounced off the contact and got straight up to play it

It’s a sad state of affairs when we are discussing that a tackle can be a penalty because of upward motion

Regardless of all that anyway, Klein came back down to the ref with “direct contact with the head with moderate force”, that didn’t occur, and if it did, should have been a send off and the little fella wouldn’t get up

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Absolute classic bullshit call ending RTS’s season tonight. Clear shoulder to the head with no arms involved resulting in a cat 1 HIA but no sin bin, and therefore no 18th man meaning we lose a player for the remainder of the game and the dogs don’t lose anything. Absolute joke of a call.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Absolute classic bullshit call ending RTS’s season tonight. Clear shoulder to the head with no arms involved resulting in a cat 1 HIA but no sin bin, and therefore no 18th man meaning we lose a player for the remainder of the game and the dogs don’t lose anything. Absolute joke of a call.
It’s time for just 1 person to be in the bunker, maybe extend it to 2, but surely at least it cuts out the consistency

I’d presumed the 18th man was activated though when I saw CHT on the park ?

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
CHT was wearing the 18 jersey but Tom Ale was the 18th man as per the NRL team sheets , he didn’t play
Cheers, I’m completely avoided the pre match because it is a tough watch so missed that. Absolutely bizarre bench by Webster then to have Lussick and CHT on the pine both playing limited minutes, tough on the middles who got pulled apart under fatigue

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Cheers, I’m completely avoided the pre match because it is a tough watch so missed that. Absolutely bizarre bench by Webster then to have Lussick and CHT on the pine both playing limited minutes, tough on the middles who got pulled apart under fatigue
Yeah well we know Webby’s bench use can be a bit baffling. Though in this case I get that he probably feels we need cover for Egan, as well as cover for the backs.

Big Marn

Bench

"Warriors coach Andrew Webster has fired a rocket at match officials after Bulldogs centre Stephen Crichton was sensationally allowed to remain on the field despite collecting Roger Tuivasa-Sheck in the head with his shoulder in the Bulldogs’ 34-18 victory on Friday night in Auckland.

The controversial decision added a sour note to the Warriors’ loss in what was favourite son Shaun Johnson’s final ever home game.

Crichton knocked out Tuivasa-Sheck with a no-arms high tackle at a critical stage in the match with the Warriors leading 18-16 in the 46th minute.

Replays then showed Crichton made no attempt to wrap his arms as his shoulder made direct contact with the head.

Tuivasa-Sheck tried to bounce to his feet but immediately staggered sideways before hitting the deck, clearly concussed and did not return to the match after being deemed a category one HIA.

He will now spend a minimum 11 days sidelined due to HIA protocols and Webster made his thoughts known to those in charge.

“I think we’ve got a big part to play in it (the loss) but I’m struggling to understand how a shoulder can go into Roger’s head and the bunker’s got ages to see it in a critical time of the game and then we lose Roger and we’ve got to reshuffle all our team,” Webster said.

“You’ve got to reshuffle anyway – that’s football – but if it happens because it just happens – but when it happens like that and nothing gets done to them – we’ve got to protect our players.

“And I just don’t see the consistency one little bit around that. Roger will miss next week now and couldn’t come back (into the game) and their player (Crichton) goes on (playing). That’s it.

“There are some parts there that we could have controlled better tonight and the boys know that but I am just frustrated how that happens.

“I just think they need to know what they’re doing, personally. I just don’t think they know. I don’t think they understand because the wording around what they say just isn’t clear. It’s hard.”

Referee Wyatt Raymond, who was receiving instructions from the Bunker in his earpiece, stunned all onlookers by only putting Crichton on report.

Warriors skipper Mitch Barnett immediately protested after the hit and reminded referee Raymond that Tuivasa-Sheck had gone off concussed.

“I understand that. We’ve gone through it and there is a high level of mitigation which is why it’s just on report,” Raymond said. <WTF?>

The controversial call comes just 24 hours after three Manly players were softly binned against the Tigers on Thursday night when the Bunker took a completely different approach to head-high contact.

“High level of mitigation? Where is Stephen Crichton using the arms in that tackle?” Fox League’s Andrew Voss said immediately following the high shot.

“That’s a very controversial decision there (to leave Crichton on), obviously you’ve seen a lot more forceful shoulders to the heads of opponents, but the consequences are there on a tackle that was nowhere near copybook technique and it’s still 13 on 13.

“Manly would be blowing up a treat at that.”

Fellow commentator Steve Roach agreed.

“He should have been sent to the sin bin. Every time I’ve seen contact to the head without wrapping the arms, you’re gone,” Roach said. <you forgot Clause 7.111B Roach. This doesnt apply to Warriors players>

It proved a major turning point in the match as the Warriors didn’t score again as the Bulldogs piled on three unanswered tries to win it 34-18. "

The mitigation comment from Raymond was what i was confused about from the live decision apart from the no sin bin of course. What was the mitigation? Though nothing should surprise me now when it comes to the bunker.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade

"Warriors coach Andrew Webster has fired a rocket at match officials after Bulldogs centre Stephen Crichton was sensationally allowed to remain on the field despite collecting Roger Tuivasa-Sheck in the head with his shoulder in the Bulldogs’ 34-18 victory on Friday night in Auckland.

The controversial decision added a sour note to the Warriors’ loss in what was favourite son Shaun Johnson’s final ever home game.

Crichton knocked out Tuivasa-Sheck with a no-arms high tackle at a critical stage in the match with the Warriors leading 18-16 in the 46th minute.

Replays then showed Crichton made no attempt to wrap his arms as his shoulder made direct contact with the head.

Tuivasa-Sheck tried to bounce to his feet but immediately staggered sideways before hitting the deck, clearly concussed and did not return to the match after being deemed a category one HIA.

He will now spend a minimum 11 days sidelined due to HIA protocols and Webster made his thoughts known to those in charge.

“I think we’ve got a big part to play in it (the loss) but I’m struggling to understand how a shoulder can go into Roger’s head and the bunker’s got ages to see it in a critical time of the game and then we lose Roger and we’ve got to reshuffle all our team,” Webster said.

“You’ve got to reshuffle anyway – that’s football – but if it happens because it just happens – but when it happens like that and nothing gets done to them – we’ve got to protect our players.

“And I just don’t see the consistency one little bit around that. Roger will miss next week now and couldn’t come back (into the game) and their player (Crichton) goes on (playing). That’s it.

“There are some parts there that we could have controlled better tonight and the boys know that but I am just frustrated how that happens.

“I just think they need to know what they’re doing, personally. I just don’t think they know. I don’t think they understand because the wording around what they say just isn’t clear. It’s hard.”

Referee Wyatt Raymond, who was receiving instructions from the Bunker in his earpiece, stunned all onlookers by only putting Crichton on report.

Warriors skipper Mitch Barnett immediately protested after the hit and reminded referee Raymond that Tuivasa-Sheck had gone off concussed.

“I understand that. We’ve gone through it and there is a high level of mitigation which is why it’s just on report,” Raymond said. <WTF?>

The controversial call comes just 24 hours after three Manly players were softly binned against the Tigers on Thursday night when the Bunker took a completely different approach to head-high contact.

“High level of mitigation? Where is Stephen Crichton using the arms in that tackle?” Fox League’s Andrew Voss said immediately following the high shot.

“That’s a very controversial decision there (to leave Crichton on), obviously you’ve seen a lot more forceful shoulders to the heads of opponents, but the consequences are there on a tackle that was nowhere near copybook technique and it’s still 13 on 13.

“Manly would be blowing up a treat at that.”

Fellow commentator Steve Roach agreed.

“He should have been sent to the sin bin. Every time I’ve seen contact to the head without wrapping the arms, you’re gone,” Roach said. <you forgot Clause 7.111B Roach. This doesnt apply to Warriors players>

It proved a major turning point in the match as the Warriors didn’t score again as the Bulldogs piled on three unanswered tries to win it 34-18. "

The mitigation comment from Raymond was what i was confused about from the live decision apart from the no sin bin of course. What was the mitigation? Though nothing should surprise me now when it comes to the bunker.
Mitigation is rugby rubbish, until last night I’ve never heard it mentioned in rugby league, how many times have we seen high tackles awarded because a guy has slipped over and been hit in the head a foot off the ground

Latest posts