What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burgess in the clear

The Clan

Juniors
From sporting life

Teenage prop Sam Burgess has been cleared to play in Saturday's second Test between Great Britain and New Zealand.
The 18-year-old Bradford Bulls forward was put on report by referee Tony Archer for an alleged high tackle on Kiwi prop Fuifui Moimoi during Britain's 20-14 win in the first Test at Huddersfield on Saturday.
A three-man video review panel, which included a New Zealand representative, decided the player would face no further action, leaving him free to win his second cap at the KC Stadium.
Burgess made a memorable Test debut at the Galpharm Stadium, scoring a try to emulate the previous youngest Great Britain debutant Andy Farrell, who touched down against the Kiwis on his first appearance in 1993.
Monday's announcement may fuel another row between the RFL and the tourists, who were angered by the RFL's failure to punish Adrian Morley for an alleged high tackle in the Northern Union's game against the All Golds.
The good news for the Kiwis is that Moimoi was also told he had no case to answer after being cited for use of his elbow in a tackle on Burgess.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
LOL he got off, are you serious?

As an Australian and probably going to be more unbias then a Kiwi or a Pom on this one, I say this. On behalf of New Zealand, this is bullsh*t.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
1 Eyed TEZZA said:
LOL he got off, are you serious?

As an Australian and probably going to be more unbias then a Kiwi or a Pom on this one, I say this. On behalf of New Zealand, this is bullsh*t.

From what I've just heard on the radio it was a 3-0 vote on the issue so there is nothing the Kiwi whine-merchants can complain about on this one.

(The fact that the Kiwi representative was held in an head-lock by Maurie Fa'asavalu is not to be discussed)

But in all seriousness it's the right call. There was no malicious intent on Burgess' side and this series is likely to cause a rule change in time for the next internationals. According to the guy on the radio the Super League refs are likely to lobby for a rule to be put into international laws for a head high swinging arm (But not a grab) to be met with an automatic sin-binning and 'on-report' status. Should sort the current issue of head hunting out nicely me thinks.

I guess the Kiwis can do what they like in the next Test then. Three suspendable offences in the last two games, all potential send offs and we've had no send offs and no suspensions. The worst part is pommy fans are harping back to Nigel Vagana's hit on Paul Deacon as an excuse two years on and Mason's hit on Long from last year. All three have been worse than those and it only the RFL appointed panel that has saved them.

Having said all that. I actually don't like to see players suspended from internationals so it doesn't bother me too much, except that the poms whinged so much last year that they got Mason suspended fro punching Fielden when he was perfectly within his rights to do so. Poms can never again whinge about unfair treatment after the last two games. They've got the rub of the green on almost every decision and still lost one game and very nearly lost the other to a very weak side.

nadera78

Juniors
Just on your last point there, about the refereeing; Tony Archer was generally decent the other day, but he really needs to do something about the Kiwis laying on at the play the ball, it was getting ridiculous. This isn't union, it's supposed to be a fast, free-flowing ame.

As to the Burgess tackle, well it was bad, but bad enough to miss a test match? Not for me. The better result would be to sin bin him at the time. It's stupid that you can sit out 10 minutes for laying on, but not for a high tackle. Generally speaking you have to do something quite outrageous to get sent off these days and the refs use 'on report' far too often because they don't want to upset anyone. One simple rule change to allow sin bining for high tackles and there would be none of these arguments.

dingalingbell

Juniors
East Coast Tiger said:
I guess the Kiwis can do what they like in the next Test then. Three suspendable offences in the last two games, all potential send offs and we've had no send offs and no suspensions. The worst part is pommy fans are harping back to Nigel Vagana's hit on Paul Deacon as an excuse two years on and Mason's hit on Long from last year. All three have been worse than those and it only the RFL appointed panel that has saved them.

Having said all that. I actually don't like to see players suspended from internationals so it doesn't bother me too much, except that the poms whinged so much last year that they got Mason suspended fro punching Fielden when he was perfectly within his rights to do so. Poms can never again whinge about unfair treatment after the last two games. They've got the rub of the green on almost every decision and still lost one game and very nearly lost the other to a very weak side.

You are kidding right? Whilst Morley's and Burgess hit were fairly bad they were nothing compared to Mason's forearm smash on Long. It could be argued that Both the Morley and Burgess incidents were careless high shots (though given Morleys record I'm sure most people won't agree), wheras Mason's was pre-meditated and in a different league.

AuckMel

Bench
They could hardly suspend him given what they've let go in the previous game.

I just hope the Kiwis don't just stand back and accept the constant high shots.

AuckMel

Bench
nadera78 said:
Just on your last point there, about the refereeing; Tony Archer was generally decent the other day, but he really needs to do something about the Kiwis laying on at the play the ball, it was getting ridiculous. This isn't union, it's supposed to be a fast, free-flowing ame.

Are you serious?

I thought he hammered the Kiwis in that area while letting GB walk off the mark and generally do as they pleased.

nadera78

Juniors
As i said earlier, it's very easy to sort this all out. Change the rules so a player can be sin-binned for high tackles. Then we wouldn't need to place them on report and then have people arguing after the event about this hit or that one.

And tbh, for my money, it ain't a test match without a bit of a scrap. Burgess got Moimoi high, Moimoi elbowed Burgess in the head. Let the players deal with it on the field (within reason of course) and get on with the game.

nadera78 said:
As i said earlier, it's very easy to sort this all out. Change the rules so a player can be sin-binned for high tackles. Then we wouldn't need to place them on report and then have people arguing after the event about this hit or that one.

And tbh, for my money, it ain't a test match without a bit of a scrap. Burgess got Moimoi high, Moimoi elbowed Burgess in the head. Let the players deal with it on the field (within reason of course) and get on with the game.
I agree about the sin bin and the need for some leeway in Tests.

But as for the earlier bit about quick ptbs i disagree. Poms seem obsessed with ptbs being super fast, but i actually think they need to be slowed down a bit. if they are too quick all we get is dummy half runs all game. There needs to be some balance. the attacking team should not have all the rights. the surrender/dominant business has helped but more needs to be done. i think attacking sides should have to workharder to score rather than just dummy half running the defence ragged. i'm not saying they should allow a lot of wresting and grappling but the tackler needs to gain some advantage from making a tackle.

One thing the Burgess thing has done is create some interest. It was just on the BBC news where i have seen little or no mention of RL since being here.

JoeD

First Grade
Expect plenty of high shots this weekend. Obviously you can do what you like and not get punished. Apparently Moimoi is having trouble eating the pain in his jaw is still that bad.

roughyedspud

Coach
as i said a the time, burgess' saving grace was the fact he wrapped moimoi up..and the kiwi rep voted not to ban him so the kiwi's can't moan about it..

i can see it kicking off on saturday though..

roughyedspud said:
as i said a the time, burgess' saving grace was the fact he wrapped moimoi up..and the kiwi rep voted not to ban him so the kiwi's can't moan about it..

i can see it kicking off on saturday though..

Apparently the vote was actually 2-1. Not 3-0 - Ill try and get a source for that soon.

According to the hearing transcript, the english rep said that they wanted test matches to be physical, so he was not to be banned.

Better be consistent.....

roughyedspud said:
i don't know why i thought it was 3-0???

yeah right it appears it was 2-1

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4255391a1823.html

but whats chalmers problem??

:lol:

maybe you should stick a kiwi jersey on him and get him out on the field to get some of that anger out....

Chalmers is an idiot, unfortunately at times he speaks a lot of sense but that gets ruined by a couple of silly comments each interview.

He was just interviewed on the Radio here and had a couple of interesting things to say.

I'll see if I can digg up a transcript

JJ

Immortal
Chalmers is an idiot

This citing system is a rort.

The kid is the best 18 yo prop I can recall seeing

Latest posts