What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burgess in the clear

The Clan

Juniors
Fast Eddie said:
Watching Super League is like watching Touch.

Yeah! Thats why we have a succession of Kiwi's and Ausies who come over here and get shocked by the physicality of the game here!

Many of the imports have gone on record in interviews about the relevent merrits of the two leagues (NRL & SL). While the Ausie comp has a higher skills level the GB comp is far more physical and quicker than the NRL.

This statement is almost universal accross the imports that come here after playing in the NRL.

The Clan

Juniors
RLIF said:
thats why Super League gets more fans at the games then NRL:sarcasm:

SL isn't that far behind the NRL in terms of crowds and to be fair Rugby League in the UK is the 4th and possibly 5th major sport in the country.

If the NRL had to compete for spectators with the likes of the FA Premier League & The RFU, which incidentaly is a much more powerfull & influential organisation than the ARU, etc.. I'm not sure you would do as well as you think without making the game more attractive.

JB

Juniors
Mixmasterreece said:
Of particular interest

Smith :
"For him to miss a game would have been unjust because it's a third of the whole series. That is like suspending someone from the normal competition for nine games."

f**k, it's like living in bizarro world!

kuwaiti kev

Juniors
Burgess's hit was high and derserved punishment, there is no argument. Personally I think 10 in the bin would have been the best option but hey this is RL and it seldom makes sense when men in suits are involved.
Was there intent, I don't think so, but so what? Most high tackles are unintentional but thats doesn't make it ok does it?
I think the discipline of the Kiwi's was pretty superb considering the provocation, how many times in the past would we have seen a Kidwell, Betham or the like start a brawl (great stuff lol). Maybe the kiwi's need that though they did seem to lack agression at times with only Jeremy Smith really hammering people in the tackle. The Kiwi's win more matches by beating up their opponents with no fear running and brutal gang tackles usually started by a bit of fisticuffs, lets bring it on.
Whats the bet if a Kiwi throws a well deserved punch that all of a sudden the suspensions start getting handed out. The pommie heirachy know they haven't won a series in years and will do all they can to ensure they finally get one against this understrength Kiwi side. It might be their last for another decade or 2 looking at the young talent coming through.
As for the Superleague being more physical then the NRL I would doubt that. The fitness and strength of the players down under is definately superior to the soft poms and the old age pensioners sent there to increase their bank accounts. Of course the ex-pats won't say that in an interview! Would you go out and bag the people who pay your wages to the world and expect to get a pay rise?????

The Kiwi's need an enforcer! Come on down Mr Pritchard just pretend you're at your brothers place in Sydney, these guys don't have knives!

The Clan said:
Yeah! Thats why we have a succession of Kiwi's and Ausies who come over here and get shocked by the physicality of the game here!

Many of the imports have gone on record in interviews about the relevent merrits of the two leagues (NRL & SL). While the Ausie comp has a higher skills level the GB comp is far more physical and quicker than the NRL.

This statement is almost universal accross the imports that come here after playing in the NRL.

What do you mean by more physical? Are you saying the hits are bigger in the ESL? If so then you need to open your eyes. The ESL is a retirement league.

nadera78

Juniors
2001 Ashes tour. Jason Stevens gets tackled by Terry O'Connor, gets up to play the ball and deliberately stamps on O'Connor's face, directly in front of the referee. Ref bottles it and puts it on report and the judiciary gives Stevens a one match ban.

2005 and Nigel Vagana literaly tries to take off Paul Deacon's head and leaves him with three fractures in his face and two hours treatment at the ground before undergoing surgery. Vagana got a one match ban.

Is anyone seriously suggesting that either the Burgess tackle on Moimoi or Moimoi's elbow on Burgess were worse than the two above examples?

deluded pom?

Coach
RLIF said:
thats why Super League gets more fans at the games then NRL:sarcasm:

Hmm, if you had REAL soccer to contend with and not the Mickey Mouse league you have over there then see what the NRL attendances would be like. We struggle to get an independent REF for a Test so don't expect any progress on an independent disciplinary system.

Bullseye

Juniors
nadera78 said:
2001 Ashes tour. Jason Stevens gets tackled by Terry O'Connor, gets up to play the ball and deliberately stamps on O'Connor's face, directly in front of the referee. Ref bottles it and puts it on report and the judiciary gives Stevens a one match ban.

2005 and Nigel Vagana literaly tries to take off Paul Deacon's head and leaves him with three fractures in his face and two hours treatment at the ground before undergoing surgery. Vagana got a one match ban.

Is anyone seriously suggesting that either the Burgess tackle on Moimoi or Moimoi's elbow on Burgess were worse than the two above examples?

Stop talking sense! You'll be drummed out of here with comments like that.:lol:

The Clan

Juniors
kuwaiti kev said:
As for the Superleague being more physical then the NRL I would doubt that. The fitness and strength of the players down under is definately superior to the soft poms and the old age pensioners sent there to increase their bank accounts. Of course the ex-pats won't say that in an interview! Would you go out and bag the people who pay your wages to the world and expect to get a pay rise?????

Bobby DIGital said:
What do you mean by more physical? Are you saying the hits are bigger in the ESL? If so then you need to open your eyes. The ESL is a retirement league.

OH Yeah!

I Forgot

NRL = Good
Super League = Bad
Repeat 100 times every morning and same again at bedtime!

Far be it from me or you to second guess those players who have actualy played in both comps.

No doubt, as you say, they have sold their souls and must make observations which compliment their new paymasters. Deep as a puddle some of these Pro RL players not to mention their unbendable integrity!

AuckMel

Bench
nadera78 said:

FFS.

In two matches so far on this tour your team has littered the games with repeated high shots. Your judiciary panel refuses to do anything about it. It's not about what happened 6 years ago or 2 years ago, but about the repeated tactics being used by your team now!

If your officials continue to do nothing about it, then it's clearly time for the Kiwis too.

RLIF

Juniors
deluded pom? said:
Hmm, if you had REAL soccer to contend with and not the Mickey Mouse league you have over there then see what the NRL attendances would be like. We struggle to get an independent REF for a Test so don't expect any progress on an independent disciplinary system.

Hahaha is that the best you can come up with???

Australia has to deal with AFL which gets what 60,000 per game? and in NZ the Warriors have to deal with Rugby and they still get 15,000 even with a population a small % of the UK.

Face it, 99 out of 100 LEAGUE FANS who are not from those two countries would say NRL is more enjoyable to watch.

Even our mickey mouse soccer team in Wellington gets more fans to their games then all but 3 of your clubs in the Super League.

If Super League was so much better than the NRL, how come all the Super League games are not covered live on tv like the NRL games??:roll:

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
RLIF said:
Hahaha is that the best you can come up with???

Australia has to deal with AFL which gets what 60,000 per game? and in NZ the Warriors have to deal with Rugby and they still get 15,000 even with a population a small % of the UK.

Face it, 99 out of 100 LEAGUE FANS who are not from those two countries would say NRL is more enjoyable to watch.

Even our mickey mouse soccer team in Wellington gets more fans to their games then all but 3 of your clubs in the Super League.

If Super League was so much better than the NRL, how come all the Super League games are not covered live on tv like the NRL games??:roll:

No one is doubting that the NRL is of a higher overall standard. What people are saying is that Super League is far more open and less defense minded. NRL teams are allowed ridiculous amounts of time to get off the tackled player. When this happens there is a solid, set line of 10 ready to pounce, which equals boring, stale rugby league. Sure with the talent in the NRL there is the odd entertaining game, the odd genuine classic. In Super League the finals series was absolutely amazing to watch.

If the NRL had a crack down at the play the ball and started penalising holding down to scare teams into getting off quickly then the play would be far more open, resulting in more breaks and more half chances which equals more entertainment.

Super League is a fantastic television product, it really is. It gets viewing figures on Sky Sports way in excess of any regular sport (I.e not one off events) other than Premiership football. BUT you have to understand the culture over here. Football is 'the' game, no one in the entire country is not exposed fully to it from a young age. EVERY SINGLE CHILD in the whole country plays the game in school, whereas league is played in only a handful of schools in most areas, and not at any in large parts of the country. The sport is given a media black out by everyone bar Sky and we have the RFU to contend with. Despite their obvious superiority everything League does is counter punched by the RFU. We move a big match for more coverage, they move an international series to coincide with it.

Bob8

Juniors
1 Eyed TEZZA said:
LOL he got off, are you serious?

As an Australian and probably going to be more unbias then a Kiwi or a Pom on this one, I say this. On behalf of New Zealand, this is bullsh*t.

As a pom, I agree.

He should have got a yellow at least and should have been suspended. It seems that the legacy of previous test have given the impression that the home side is allowed to claim the benefit of the doubt, which could encourage Mason type incidents if it is allowed.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
I have watched quite a few ESL games and personally get bored/annoyed by the constant linebreaks. Really becomes quite boring when there is nearly and linbreak/error every set. Tackling is a secondary thought. But meh, I'll stick to the NRL, you can stick to the ESL.

Oh and btw I remember back in 1954 Billy John put in a similar high shot and wasn't suspended so it is understandable why Burgess wasn't.......

Nook

Bench
The Leeds v Saints GF was one of the best games of RL I saw all year, they play the game like it was meant to be played over there

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
nadera78 said:

yeah

The Vagana tackle was innocuous and Deacon fell in to it as well

kuwaiti kev

Juniors
nadera78 said:

FFS Deacon slipped into the tackle of Nigel Vagana, it's like saying Wendell Sailor deliberately head butted Richie Barnett and smashed his face up in that test a few years back.
Yes Deacon was seriously hurt, so was Barnett, but in both instances it was just a horrible accident.

aqua_duck

Coach
Watching SL is like watching a bunch of fijians run around the local park and the score is like 50-40. Its quick, but there's nothing resembling defence. I mean FFS Brad Drew scores length of the field tries

.kimmy.

Juniors
He shouldnt' have got off imo (esp since Moi Moi is suffering injuries from that hit), but he was always going to be left off, so it wasnt any real suprise to me tbh.

roughyedspud

Coach
.kimmy. said:
He shouldnt' have got off imo (esp since Moi Moi is suffering injuries from that hit), but he was always going to be left off, so it wasnt any real suprise to me tbh.

he was alright enough to get up,carry on playing and then elbow burgess in the head....:roll: