What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burgess's transfer fee is a salary cap rort

Appin Rabbit

Juniors
Craig all I can say is that Jealousy is a curse you've made an utter goose of yourself by carrying on with all this garbage.

fees being paid directly to the player is not the sole criteria of the salary cap, never has been never will be. as i pointed out with kingston for eg, his "nominal value" for 2010 he will not receive.

You miss the point. Nominal value, makes no difference whatsoever. The cap is put in place to ensure that all player deals are scrutinised by the NRL in order to ensure that the rules are followed and everyone is afforded the ability to secure players. Whether you agree with a transfer fee or not is irrelevant as Transfer fees are not included in the cap. Whether other clubs can afford a transfer fee or not is also irrelevant as long as they have been afforded the same opportunity within the laws of the game.

:lol: mate that's a joke isn't it? how does the money the bulldogs RECEIVE count against their salary cap? didn't think that one through did you? or do you mean french rugby? if they have a salary cap, they can do whatever they want with it, we're talking about the nrl's salary cap.

Because the money the Dogs received had a larger effect on the NRL than the money Souths paid out to secure Burgess. Either way, if you are arguing against transfer fees then why should it be ok for the Dogs to receive them but not ok for Souths to pay them out?

i agree with the sentiment, nice heartstring pull but no cigar, a rort is a rort. buying esl players via transfer fee isn't exclusive to english players. this precedent opens the door for richer clubs to "buy back" aussie stars with money other clubs can't afford.

i certainly understand why bunnies fans want to get away with it while they can, but this is a deadset rort imo.

Garbage. In most cases the player coming back would have to take a pay cut so you are missing half the story. This was a fairly special case in that Burgess acknowledges that he is earning less money to test himself in the NRL. I'm sure the likes of Matt King aren't going to take a paycut to leave a contract early and come back to NRL and if he is, then he is breaking a contract and why shouldn't his current club receive some compensation for that?

Ziggy the God

First Grade
every club DOES have the same opportunity to approach 9. 9 then has the choice to decide wether or not they are interested in the player, and what terms. as evidenced in gasnier's deal, the arrangement is not guaranteed by 9 and definitiely unguaranteed by the club (dragons).

you really have no idea dude

What a load of crap.

They helped two clubs at the expense of the rest. Do you really think that the other clubs wouldn't want the same deal?

Seriously mate, get off the dope, it is mashing the last few brian cells bouncing around in your head.

Moron.

Fein

First Grade
What a load of crap.

They helped two clubs at the expense of the rest. Do you really think that the other clubs wouldn't want the same deal?

Seriously mate, get off the dope, it is mashing the last few brian cells bouncing around in your head.

Moron.

:lol: :lol:

Here Ziggy, have a pom pom.

It's on the house.

Aaron_sfas

Juniors
it's a rort because it destroys the principles of having a salary cap system at all

would you like some ice-cream with your sour grapes?

it has been established that what souths have done with burgess is well within the rules of the game. so your only problem can be counted only as opinion, which everyone is entitled to of course, but that most certainly doesnt mean you are right

Fein

First Grade
Fein mate please close this thread before it gets even lower than what it is now CJ is the complete idiot.

Appin my friend, it is a fair request but I will defer to General Sugar.

My stripes are still drying in this regard and I don't want to offend the whatever minority group CJ is a member of.

Sugar

Bench
Appin my friend, it is a fair request but I will defer to General Sugar.

My stripes are still drying in this regard and I don't want to offend the whatever minority group CJ is a member of.
Let it ride

even though it's one way traffic Cwaig will soon have a head on and come to the realization he should have went the other way.

The entire league comunity knew Bradford wanted a fee to release our Sam.
Nothing underhanded or shifty happened the NRL were aware of the transfer fee and have endorsed his contract a legit transaction.

anthony barham

Juniors
The other guys are jealous that their clubs lacked the skill, expertise and cashola to bring the best player in the world to their club.

The way our pack is developing, Roy Asotasi may not even rate a start.

We got our man, these days, we usually do.
Roy will be dally m prop and captain of the year in 2010. Our superstar pack will only enhance his play . Don,t forget boys Roys signing was truly the beginning of the new Souths era under Rusty . When Roys career ends he will be remembered as a Rabbitoh legend and the man who captained our 21st title win.

Roy will be dally m prop and captain of the year in 2010. Our superstar pack will only enhance his play . Don,t forget boys Roys signing was truly the beginning of the new Souths era under Rusty . When Roys career ends he will be remembered as a Rabbitoh legend and the man who captained our 21st title win.

Agreed,I can live with that.

johnkelley

Juniors
The use of the word "RORT" implies that something illegal or underhanded has occurred yet the fact is no rules have been broken.

The SSFC and the game of Rugby League in this country will benefit from bringing this potential superstar from the other side of the world and see if he can cut it in the toughest League competition in the world.

That is his own personal goal and kudos to him for doing it rather than stay where he was and rake in bigger dollars, a young fella with ambition, sadly lacking in todays youth if you ask me.

Instead of trying to find fault Cwaig you should be congratulating those people who made it happen.

Bring on Slammin' Sam in the Cardinal and Myrtle, can't wait!!!!!!!!!!

Fein

First Grade
Let it ride

even though it's one way traffic Cwaig will soon have a head on and come to the realization he should have went the other way.

The entire league comunity knew Bradford wanted a fee to release our Sam.
Nothing underhanded or shifty happened the NRL were aware of the transfer fee and have endorsed his contract a legit transaction.

lol @ cwaig. :lol:

I don't think the poor bastard even owns a pair of shoes these days.

Bumble

First Grade
every club DOES have the same opportunity to approach 9. 9 then has the choice to decide wether or not they are interested in the player, and what terms. as evidenced in gasnier's deal, the arrangement is not guaranteed by 9 and definitiely unguaranteed by the club (dragons).

you really have no idea dude

Yeah, because that's very fair. :roll: Johns and Gasnier were on the footy show every week. Wtf would a team like Canberra, Souths, Warriors etc do if their marquee man wanted to leave?

"Oh hai Channel 9, can we have some more money to re-sign Alan Tongue?"

Fmd. Who is this genius?

Sonic Star

Juniors
Why would a transfer fee be counted under the salary cap? It is not paid to the player. It is not part of anyones salary. It is an amount given to another club as compensation for them allowing a player to be released before his contract has expired. Burgess would have signed for Souths a year later anyway.

If Souths have the ability to pay a transfer fee and other clubs negotiating for the contract do not then why should Souths be penalised? Souths have operated within the laws of the game and other clubs had exactly the same opportunity.

correct.

SALARY cap.

A players salary for playing football which has been included in Souths Salary Cap of players.

Transfer fee isn't part of Burgess Salary and Burgess Didn't get paid out his remaining year at Bradford.

Souths are a well run club, if other clubs are poorly run that's not our problem.

Manly could have paid a transfer fee but under their player salary cap they couldn't fit Burgess in. We could because we had room to move in our player salary cap.

Sour grapes to all whingers.

Just like Riley Browns tackle on wing was legal and within the rules, yet you guys seemed to think it was unfairm because it happened to you.

Who gives a crap, honestly the guys a great player and souffs done well to get him, but we have another Riley Brown in the ranks and come rd 1 3 rd tackle it will be burgess's shoulder that will be feeling the heat.

i can see him sitting on the sideline for half the comp after a well placed legitimate tackle

bring on rd 1

Appin Rabbit

Juniors
Just like Riley Browns tackle on wing was legal and within the rules, yet you guys seemed to think it was unfairm because it happened to you.

Who gives a crap, honestly the guys a great player and souffs done well to get him, but we have another Riley Brown in the ranks and come rd 1 3 rd tackle it will be burgess's shoulder that will be feeling the heat.

i can see him sitting on the sideline for half the comp after a well placed legitimate tackle

bring on rd 1
Pal all I can say is that you are one sick Individual hoping a player gets badly hurt disgusting stuff!

Dave Q

Coach
I am stuck at work desiging a new invoice.

I am trying to get inspiration from this thread.

All I am channelling are poms poms!

Latest posts