What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burt / Hayne Fullback debate

parraeelz

Juniors
I'm with some of you guys in that I actually think Hayne went okay last night.. ran strongly and defended really well - he just didn't get enough ball.
Give him a while and he'll learn how to inject himself better

i agree a little patience is required here give him a couple of rounds and i know the trials don't count but keep in mind he did perform very well against the roosters
also its his first time with finchy and he wasn't at his best tonight
5 rounds later we'll have our answer about hayne at 5/8 but i think its gonna work out well

strider

Post Whore
It was well documented at the time that WM was only offered a very short contract. The salary was very similar to Burt's with Burt coming up trumps. I agree that the club was looking at the young kids coming through. My point is, there was only room for one, with the club choosing the hyundai exel over the beamer. :crazy:
i agree it was well documented that wade wanted a longer deal and hence we didn't renew it (Hagan and someone else behind the scene's decision I believe - I don't necessarily agree with that decision) .... but I do NOT believe their salaries are comparable AND I believe Wade is on far more now .... I was always a Wade fan, but he wasn't setting the world on fire at the time, so I can kinda understand the decision that was made

ParraAds

Juniors
Hayne @ 5/8 is the right move. Our best players need to be in the key positions with more ball in hand. Keating off the bench will work...eventually
Also, I'm still taking my medication trying to get over McKinnon being released before Burt. F*cks me how someone can decide to buy a commodore before a bmw for the same price!!!

I'd take an SS Commodore over any similarly priced BMW.

lingard

Coach
Even if Hayne doesn`t remain at 5/8 for the whole season, it will certainly improve his game so that he`ll be a better fullback or centre should he be moved there.

yy_cheng

Coach
Wade always puts in. He had brain explosions like running away from his support but with his kick returns, he was at least a good 60m down the field as compared to now.

I don't know if people have forgotten, but Wade was a parra junior too!

Actually, I would've preferred to have kept wade and lost either Inu or Hayne.

TheRam

Coach
i agree it was well documented that wade wanted a longer deal and hence we didn't renew it (Hagan and someone else behind the scene's decision I believe - I don't necessarily agree with that decision) .... but I do NOT believe their salaries are comparable AND I believe Wade is on far more now .... I was always a Wade fan, but he wasn't setting the world on fire at the time, so I can kinda understand the decision that was made

He was a sh*t hot player then as he is a sh*t hot player now. And what's more, he has a real angry competitive spirit, which so many of our current boys are finding very difficult to find.

Colossal stuff up letting him go.

Dirty Mutombo

Juniors
Burt must be an awesome influence at training coz for the life of me i cant figure out what he offers on the field. Yet Taylor, Hagan and now Anderson have all given him first crack at fullback and barring 8 or 9 games in 2007 he has been horrendous.

His involvement is next to non existant, he lets high balls bounce, tackles as weak as piss... The only fullback with stats anywhere near as low as Burts this weekend was Brett Kearny, who got better stats in about 15mins. It aint like his limited touches are quality either.

Oh well, we've all gotta live with it unfortunately. that includes u Jarryd

Gronk

Staff member
I'd like Joel at the back and leave Hayne were he is. Etu to come in on the edge.

eel01s

Bench
TBH I would persist with Hayne at 5/8, I thought there were some good signs out of the Warriors game.

But IMO Luke Burt needs to go. I don't base this opinion on saturday's game, but rather from his career post 2007 knee injury.

Burt offers excellent goal kicking, occasional good backing up and good clearing kicks with some 40/20's. However he doesn't do the clearing kicks often enough for my liking. Why doesn't he always position himself to be the 5th tackle option? Finch's clearing kicks are rarely good enough, so the job should mainly reside with Burt if he is going to stay in the side.

Burt's negatives are his poor kick returns and very poor cover defense. As many have pointed out, Burt is just too small to provide an effective last line of defence close to the tryline.

Seeing the Eels have Inu, goal kicking shouldn't be the reason Burt is left in the side. Burt needs to add more in attack, especially from taking kicks and running kick returns if he wants to remain as fullback.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Hayne was terrible.

I believe he was moved closer to the ruck to get his hands on the ball more often, he should be moved as far away as possible based on his first game at 5/8. He dropped the ball about 6 times and passed it once in 80 minutes, thats not really the role of a good pivot.

It was only one game, but it was a dismal failure.

No doubt he will be given a month or so to adjust but I wonder how many games he may cost us in the process if it doesn't work.

The Colonel

Immortal
My favourite commentary line over the weekend.....

"Hayne has the ball, Hayne dies with the ball....." It summed up his game perfectly. The try he scored was great - perfect hole running but he didn't position himself often enough to do that.

Not sure on Burt being the fullback, however he didn't play that badly and had good involvement in the Grothe try.

Hayne is definitely not a 5/8 however and while he may need to get the ball in his hands a lot more often he needs to work on his defense and positional play if he is to play there long term.

Delboy

First Grade
Twiz, when KK played halfback Hayne looked good, ran and received good service. When Finch played he had no one inside him and looked nowhere near the player he was the week before as basically no structure or service.

Finch was awful and made those outside him look worse, and whilst we all like his passion,he was in THAT tackle which put the game basically out of reach. The starting props never provided any go forward for the backs and as against the Roosters that showed, we only went forward when Mannah and Fui came on, you can't expect backs to shine with that sort of performance from the starting front row.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Twiz, when KK played halfback Hayne looked good, ran and received good service. When Finch played he had no one inside him and looked nowhere near the player he was the week before as basically no structure or service.

Finch was awful and made those outside him look worse, and whilst we all like his passion,he was in THAT tackle which put the game basically out of reach. The starting props never provided any go forward for the backs and as against the Roosters that showed, we only went forward when Mannah and Fui came on, you can't expect backs to shine with that sort of performance from the starting front row.

I dont see how we can blame Finch for Hayne's poor ball handling.

I think as fullback he can run into the centers where he may be more suited, however.................lets see how he goes over the next month or so

Its good to see Anderson is a lateral thinker and we may have to cop a few for th team, in order to be a better team at the end of the season.

Kornstar

Coach
I agree with Delboy, Hayne looked much better at Campbelltown when he didn't have Finch in the team!

You can't doubt Finch's enthusiasm but that is all he has unfortunately......

Our starting front row left alot to be desired too, Fui or Mannah need to partner Cayless imo, Cordoba needs to go.....

The Colonel

Immortal

Was it Finch's ball playing ability that made him a spot player in defense?

Did he effect his poor ball handling?

Did he glue the ball to his hands?

The best backline movements during the game didn't involve Hayne but funnily enough involved Finch.

Was it Finch's ball playing ability that made him a spot player in defense?

Did he effect his poor ball handling?

Did he glue the ball to his hands?

The best backline movements during the game didn't involve Hayne but funnily enough involved Finch.

Jarryd didn't have his best game and I believe he is a better fullback but That backline movement consisted of Finch passing the ball to Burt from right to left. Under 7's can do chain passing too.

The Colonel

Immortal
Jarryd didn't have his best game and I believe he is a better fullback but That backline movement consisted of Finch passing the ball to Burt from right to left. Under 7's can do chain passing too.

"Hayne has the ball, Hayne dies with the ball......"

;-)

Hayne may need to go back to Under Sevens then........

Latest posts