What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burtie

Runaround Man

Juniors
Luke is playing well and doing his bit.

He is not the problem. Last night he cleaned up terrifically after Jarryd.

Luke is a class winger. He is doing his job. I don't see anybody running around him or over him. He is never out of position and he is a wonderful goal kicker.

I don't know what you people are on about...

gustarny

Juniors
Burty needs an op on his knee he is delaying it to season end this explains his slight drop in form but he is not our problem .we dont have a playmaker in 6 or 7 and we dont have a skilfull short or long kicker.

-Gurueel-

Juniors
Burty needs an op on his knee he is delaying it to season end this explains his slight drop in form but he is not our problem .we dont have a playmaker in 6 or 7 and we dont have a skilfull short or long kicker.

i remember not too many seasons ago that Burt used to have a fair few long range 40/20s in him.

I understand if he's injured........but i have been wondering lately why they havent utilised his kicking game a bit more.

Nothing wrong with his form, plays above his weight every game

Bigfella

Coach
Agree. A huge part of a wingers game is starting the momentum from kick returns.

They also set the platform for the physical contest as much as the front row because of how often they take the first or second hit up.

He's been awful there's no two ways about it. He's far from the only problem but we've gone from habit a weapon I grothe to a passenger in Burt. Inu has played far better than him.

His asset the last season and a half has been his nous; linking with hayne, finishing, kicking cleverly and dummy half runs. They've all dropped off massively.

The theory about wingers bein unimportant is crap. Morris is close to the dragons most important player.grothe was almost mom inthe gf last year. They can be the difference, especially in tight games.

mrpwnd

Bench
Burtie doesn't have the physique of Grothe, so you won't see him make power runs from dummy half. Morris gets the worlds easiest service off Hornby, Soward and Boyd, he just has to catch and run, something he can't do in origin.
I look at our last few games and there was just nothing I could think of to get Burtie involved more without hindering the team. It's a pity this thread wasn't started when he set up that try for Hayne against the doggies, then it'd be less obvious that some genius is trying to look for the tiniest excuse for an otherwise poor season.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Burt has the same physique as a few other guys out there. He just doesn't get involved at all in helping out.

Anyone BLAMING him for the losses is out of their tree, but I'm just wondering if we actually pay him to stand around on the sideline whinging at J Wright each week!!

mrpwnd

Bench
Burt has the same physique as a few other guys out there. He just doesn't get involved at all in helping out.

Anyone BLAMING him for the losses is out of their tree, but I'm just wondering if we actually pay him to stand around on the sideline whinging at J Wright each week!!
He's one of the smaller blokes out there and people are criticising him for not pulling the same weight as the bigger players. True, we're not paying him to just stand there, however we're paying him to recieve balls outwide and make some good runs, he does that in every opportunity, if you need abit more clarification look at the stuff you see outside of the cameras, from day 1 when Hayne started as fullback he's basically been guiding him around the park week in week out. I'd credit Burtie for ALOT of Hayne's improvement as a fullback in terms of positioning. Burt also knows how to link with Hayne very well on kick returns, something alot of wingers never do nowadays. Before questioning a winger's involvement in games every week, i'd first question the players responsible for getting them involved more.

strider

Post Whore
i'm pretty sure the stand out there and whinge about the guy inside you is a standard part of all wingers contracts these days .... i'm surprised you don't already know that

eels81236

Bench
Burt for SOO.
:roll:
How they kept picking that imposter Morris in front of him I will never know :crazy::crazy:

oldmancraigy

Coach
i'm pretty sure the stand out there and whinge about the guy inside you is a standard part of all wingers contracts these days .... i'm surprised you don't already know that

Actually I've done some research and it seems to be part of the union standards for all wingers under 55kgs. Steve Turner, Nathan Merritt and Jason Nightingale all adhere strictly to the agreement.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Before questioning a winger's involvement in games every week, i'd first question the players responsible for getting them involved more.

Oh spot on! I saw Burt about to contest a bomb on Friday night, but TWICE William Zillman clearly called "mine" and went for it. How unfair of him not to let Burt have a turn - no surprise the poor little guy didn't even bother jumping, he's too small and someone else wasn't letting him get involved.

I plan on petitioning the NRL on this one - if there's a small winger out there, you shouldn't be allowed to score tries from bombs to his wing unless he decides to attempt a catch on them - ESPECIALLY when the opposition aren't letting him get involved.

I also saw him queuing up for a couple of hitups - you know, to help out the tiring forwards - but bloody Moi Moi and Poore grabbed him around the collar and threw him touch in goal so that they could have another turn. Friggin' hogs.

I guess he is small, and no other small winger in the comp ever helps out their forwards, so that's cool....

SeftonBoy

Juniors
Luke Burt is an absolute imposter. Why Anderson keeps picking this bloke is beyond me. You can see that he is scared. He won't contest a bomb, he won't do a hit up to help the tiring forwards out, & his tackling is not effective at all. We need big wingers like Grothe to get the set going forward. He just won't take a hit up. He's too small & too scared. I'd have him in A-Reserves for Wenty. How Parramatta re-signed him is beyond a jole when we have young big wingers waiting in the wings. Experience counts yes, but so does having a dig.

Suitman

Post Whore
Luke Burt is an absolute imposter. Why Anderson keeps picking this bloke is beyond me. You can see that he is scared. He won't contest a bomb, he won't do a hit up to help the tiring forwards out, & his tackling is not effective at all. We need big wingers like Grothe to get the set going forward. He just won't take a hit up. He's too small & too scared. I'd have him in A-Reserves for Wenty. How Parramatta re-signed him is beyond a jole when we have young big wingers waiting in the wings. Experience counts yes, but so does having a dig.

Speaking of sizable wingers, I was extremely impressed yesterday with Newcastle's two - Vuna and Uate. Man those guys know how to run. They caused immeasurable damage out wide to the Bulldogs. Sort of reinforces your point, Sefton Boy.

Suity

hybrideel

Bench
I don't want to harp on this blame a winger for our current predicament thing we have going (not withstanding the fact that due to the injury to Grothe we don't have any other options), however has anyone thought that he may be instructed to not take many hitups because it will be counter-productive as he would get dominated and that he was also told not to contest bombs as he would get outjumped and then no longer be in a position to tackle the attacking player. I know in a way this may reinforce the point about needing bigger, stronger wingers however while there aren't any other options we need to keep Burt out there and hide his obvious weaknesses, and that's exactly what is being done.
And then when the team is playing a bit better you will see the real Burt come back out and play, depending on whether this apparent knee issue is the real reason behind his dip in form or whether it's because he is a winger and the whole backline bar the obvious are playing like busted's