What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

But what if the Wagon / Dykes combo really works......?

Parraren

Bench
I think we see the catch 22 don't we. Of course we all want the Eels to kick major ar$e on Saturday night and hopefully start the season off with 10 or so straight victories :D . BUT if that should happen this could very well mean we won't be seeing much of Witty or Thorman in first grade unless they can crack a spot on the bench. Smithy won't make many changes if we're winning. I guess you're thinking, "as long as we're winning, who cares" but I just don't like the thought of promising young halves like Witty or Thorman languishing in Premier League and being forgotten like some past promising halves at the club have been (I won't name names).

I think if Dykes really does well at half early on then Witt & Thorman will probably be fighting for the 5/8th spot but how soon they get a crack at it is anyones guess. Thorman has played mostly 5/8th (stand-off as they call it in Super League) so he is no stranger to the position but he needs some time in Premier League to settle in before being thrust into NRL football. I actually think Thorman will really come along well throughout the season and have a gut feeling he could be a regular fixture in the top grade in the second half of the season used as a dummy half off the bench ala Dunley last year. I've always thought 5/8th would suit Witty better and hopefully starting the year in Prem's will give him more determination to get back into first grade now that he's had a taste of it already. The good thing is, Witty is signed to a long term contract.

Wagon at 5/8th may very well work in the early part of the season but I just can't see it bringing us to glory in September. It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds...

Suitman

Post Whore
I'll walk the other direction.

I have a feeling I'll be meeting you in Port Macquarie Twiz.

Suity

Hurriflatch

Referee
ok so unless I'm reading this wrong if the Els win their 1st 6 games (with a halves combo of Wagon & Dykes) then Suity and Twizzle will walk naked from Parra stadium to Tweed Heads.

Should be intresting

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Twizzle will go the other way. And have a naked frolic in the streets of Port Macquarie. The the sake of the good citizens of Port Macquarie please Brian Smith change that halves combo before round 6.

half

Coach
i dunno - wagon can throw a very deceptive dummy pass. it's up there with benji marshall's step

The Colonel

Immortal
So does successful mean -

3/6
4/6
5/6
6/6

A fifty percent record from our first 6 games could be deemed as successful given the draw.

bradeel

Juniors
entertaining bets aside, to bring your original argument back to the centre, I can understand your dilemma but you gotta remember that its a long season so injury will almost definitely play some role at some stage. It always does and its great to know that we have some promising options waiting in the wings.

Secondly, Smith may well be looking at a horses for courses type scenario as well. If he anticipates a more physical, dour encounter, he might look to play a Wagon or a Muspratt in the more defensive No 6 position. Alternatively he has Morris, Dykes, Thorman and Witt to choose from if we need a bit more flair or he anticipates the need for a slightly less physical presence.

You gotta remember that Smith is first and foremost a lover of defence and watching us leak points last season would have killed him. I remember in 2001 when we were winning every game by 50 points, he was still telling the media that the bit he was most satisfied with was the defensive element. I think he is working to fix that angle first and the creativity can follow.

yy_cheng

Coach
His dummies are soooo Goooood that even the opposition can't read them!!

Don't forget he even played 5/8th for Qld......coz his dummies were so effective!!!

Parraren

Bench
Secondly, Smith may well be looking at a horses for courses type scenario as well. If he anticipates a more physical, dour encounter, he might look to play a Wagon or a Muspratt in the more defensive No 6 position. Alternatively he has Morris, Dykes, Thorman and Witt to choose from if we need a bit more flair or he anticipates the need for a slightly less physical presence.

Yes but this 'horses for courses' approach IMHO is what has dogged us for the past few seasons. I don't beleive in constantly chopping and changing the halves combo unless forced to do so by injury or lack of form. We need consistency and I hope we find it early on. In 2001 we didn't get on our winning streak until we settled on the Beuttner/Taylor combo. Before that we tried Wagon & PJ Marsh in the halves at various stages and our results were mixed. Good one week, poor the next.

half

Coach
in our peak of form during 2001, you could've put a 12 year old girl at halfback and we still would've kicked butt

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Parraren said:

Yes but this 'horses for courses' approach IMHO is what has dogged us for the past few seasons. I don't beleive in constantly chopping and changing the halves combo unless forced to do so by injury or lack of form. We need consistency and I hope we find it early on. In 2001 we didn't get on our winning streak until we settled on the Beuttner/Taylor combo. Before that we tried Wagon & PJ Marsh in the halves at various stages and our results were mixed. Good one week, poor the next.

I agree with you. The best sides have a stable combo in the halves. It means that the team knows the direction the side is going and doesn't get confused by the changing styles.

Parraren

Bench
half said:
in our peak of form during 2001, you could've put a 12 year old girl at halfback and we still would've kicked butt

I cannot disagree more. I think you are vastly underrating the importance of the kicking game and ball distribution by our halves in 2001. Beuttner had the best season of his career playing outside Taylor who also had a fantastic year. They complimented eachothers games perfectly and got the ball out wide to our weapons on a frequent basis. Watch the tapes man! Our backline movements were dynamic.

I was personally shocked when Smith then decided to go with a Dykes/McFadden :roll: combo at the start of 2002 rather than leaving Beuttner at 5/8th where he was killing it and playing Dykes at half to replace Taylor. Now in 2004 he finally moves Dykes to half, 2 years too late....can we bring back Beuttner? :lol:

Suitman said:
I'll walk the other direction.

I have a feeling I'll be meeting you in Port Macquarie Twiz.

Suity

Count me in from Brisbane...Twiz I will pick you up on the way. I just don't want any weird shit going on when we all meet up at Port Macquarie OK.

PB

Bench
Parraren said:
I just don't like the thought of promising young halves like Witty or Thorman languishing in Premier League and being forgotten like some past promising halves at the club have been (I won't name names).

Who are these halves that languished in lower grades and are playing first grade this week??

Who is to say that Smith does not intend to use Witt for the second half of the season in the halves? I don't think a 20 year old kid can play halfback in a team for the entire duration of the competition, and that team can expect to be running at optimum level in September. Its alot of football, alot more than a junior is used to.

The only problem is your all so quick to jump down Smith's throat, you are not giving him a chance and watch his plans develop!