What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bye bye Baz

Willow

Assistant Moderator
With the Club today giving Barrett permission to go to the UK, I think its pretty likely that this will be last year with Saints.

Is it good, bad or ugly? On the positive side, its certainly going to free up some dosh for 2007.

How he will perform in 2006?

Hornby and Head for 2007?

1. I'm not yet convinced that this necessarily means he is departing. It's more likely than not, but not certain.

2. Neutral - Good to free up the salary cap cash, bad to lose the Captain and star plater

3. I'd have thought he'd play out of his skin in his last chance at that elusive premierships

4. Yes!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Worth noting that Barrett is 28-years-old.
He'll be 29 going on 30 in 2007.
The clock is ticking.

God-King Dean

Immortal
He's gone. Can't blame him for going, but it is a shame only last year was he able to really unleash his skill. C'Mon Baz, time to unleash the Dragon within !

G

gorilla

In a way, if he goes it's a shame as at this age he should be just starting to really take the game by the scruff of its neck for the next 3 years.

Of course if he's going, we will probably save lotsa dough and can grow our team across the park.

Hornby might just be the go at 5/8 for the immediate future.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
gorilla said:
Hornby might just be the go at 5/8 for the immediate future.
Well we've got a season to sort that out.
Still waiting for calls of 'come back Choc' :)

Southernsaint

Staff member
It wouldn't surprise me if he goes. I mean, taking the soft option in England would suit his character...

God-King Dean

Immortal
Southernsaint said:
It wouldn't surprise me if he goes. I mean, taking the soft option in England would suit his character...

Wasn't soft last year. But he certainly didn't play to potential prior years.

But if someone offered me 50% more salary than my current job to better support my family, I'd take it for shizzle.

G

gorilla

Willow said:
Well we've got a season to sort that out.
Still waiting for calls of 'come back Choc' :)

I reckon if he goes, the mgmt will target a 'star' - and that's not choc. If they can bring on a good young'un (given some advance notice from Baz) then they'll look for someone to perform at star billing whilst the youngun develops.

Messiah said:
But if someone offered me 50% more salary than my current job to better support my family, I'd take it for shizzle.

Given the opportunity I'd play for Saints for minimum wage myself.

As far as Baz goes he'd kind of go up a notch or two in my view if he did move on, I always assumed he'd just meekly while away his days at Saints and be content with his big house in Wollongong and his ugly commodores.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
gorilla said:
I reckon if he goes, the mgmt will target a 'star' - and that's not choc. If they can bring on a good young'un (given some advance notice from Baz) then they'll look for someone to perform at star billing whilst the youngun develops.
Yeah just kidding about Choc. That horse bolted ages ago. I can't see the Club deviating from the policy of the last few years.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Follow Me Up To Carlton said:
As far as Baz goes he'd kind of go up a notch or two in my view if he did move on, I always assumed he'd just meekly while away his days at Saints and be content with his big house in Wollongong and his ugly commodores.

LMFAO!! Maybe Baz could do push ups in his undies here

To be honest the Saints are going to hell in a handbasket! They are buying all these new players, which then in turn holds them back from being able to even TRY to keep their star players! They are shaking up a stellar line up because they want a ready made powerhouse! Rather than building their own!

gregstar

Referee
Squishy_Da_Byatch said:
To be honest the Saints are going to hell in a handbasket! They are buying all these new players, which then in turn holds them back from being able to even TRY to keep their star players! They are shaking up a stellar line up because they want a ready made powerhouse! Rather than building their own!

just about the entire team consists of local juniors.

brendothejet

First Grade
yeah i was gonna say the total oppositte. The only reason we are going to be able to let go of blokes like baz is because we have developed some quality players over the last few years.

i'd be more worried about losing them to clubs that have sat up and noticed when blokes like creagh, young and big wes have taken them apart.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Squishy_Da_Byatch said:
If you reverse that around you might be closer to the truth.

Players in recent history who were 'lost' include Riddell and Kite. Neither are local juniors and I don't think they were that fussed about Kite - the money Manly were offering was well above what Saints were willing to pay. They did try to hang onto Riddell but the Eels simply wanted him more and outbid Saints.
It has been shown that Saints have the depth to replace these players anyway.
I'd also put Ennis in there but again he isnt a local junior and quite replaceable.
I might have missed a couple but those are a few examples of players who were probably welcomed to stay if the circumstances allowed for it.

The other players that have gone elsewhere were pretty much shown the door... or as they sometimes say, 'invited to look elsewhere'.

With players being shown the door, the harsh realities to consider include...
The players 'use by date'
Are the players getting on in years?
Have we got the best out of them?
The money
Can we fit them under the salary cap / are they getting too pricey?
Will keeping a star player be at the expense of developing a star junior?

Miracle Balls

Juniors
brendothejet said:
yeah i was gonna say the total oppositte. The only reason we are going to be able to let go of blokes like baz is because we have developed some quality players over the last few years.

i'd be more worried about losing them to clubs that have sat up and noticed when blokes like creagh, young and big wes have taken them apart.

But this season you've let go the two young blokes, Daniel Holdsworth & Josh Lewis, who you've earmarked to eventually take over from Barrett. Hornby is a good player, but surely he'd only be seen as a stop gap measure until you could develop someone long term, and now you have no one in the lower grades coming through.

Somebody in charge at your club has zero vision.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
With respect, saying 'zero vision' is a bit of a credibility burner. Can't hang onto to everyone. Although I would have liked to see Lewis stay as he coming along very nicely.
Also, to say there is no one else is coming through is a bit out of whack as well.

Plus Hornby will be fine in the halves if that's the plan. Remember if Barrett goes, it won't be until 2007 and there's a season of ahead to look at the situation.
Hecks knows we've had to get used to playing without him plenty of times before now.

We can't keep absolutely everyone MB. The Bulldogs would've offered Holdsworth a much bigger deal than Saints could hope to offer our back-up 5/8. We've still got Jamie Keith and I'm sure there's plenty more halves talent coming through.

In any case, I think Hornby at 5/8 is a permanent solution.