What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BYE BYE BENJI!

magpiemax

Juniors
Don't know if any of you were listening to 'talking sport' which is on 1269 2sm between 3-7p.m weekday's. 8)
But Graeme Hughes was saying this afternoon that Benji's contract expires at the end of 2005,now most of us know this. :roll:
But what we don't know is that Graeme said to a leading Wests Tiger's official this week "what are the intention's of WT to retain him when his contract expires at the end of 05'". :oops:
The official said "we will offer him what he is worth at the time".Graeme Hughes then replied "I understand he is only getting $40,000 a season at the moment but they reckon his worth around $250k a season.And that the Rooster's and Bronco's are super keen on his services".The official then replied "he is'nt worth anything like that". :evil:
Now Graeme Hughes then made a very valid point and said if the Wests Tiger's keep on saying that 05' is the year of the Tiger and that is the year when everything gel's into place. :shock:
How the hell are they going to acheive this when they think $250k p/a for Benji is too much. :shock: :(
IMHO i think we are going to find it hard enough as it is keeping Benji even if we pay more than the market value,as player's seem to join stronger club's for less money in hope of finding SOO selection one day.
So how the F*CK ARE WE GOING TO KEEP HIM, IF THEY DON'T EVEN WANT TO PAY THE MARKET VALUE??????? :evil: :evil: :evil: :(

tracietiga

Juniors
MAX,
Ask yourself this question .
Has the Weststigers ever had a clue about player retention ?
Have they ever had a clue about who we should buy to strengthen the club?

Put simply , we are just there to make up the numbers .
When a player like Benji comes along you find the cash to keep him with you .
No not the Tigers . Who was the official; you were talking about ?
Not the guy who sells raffle tickets at the gate when you walk in.

Surely the SUPERCOACH can see the difference in his side since Benji did his shoulder .

I would pay him whatever it took , then i would slot him into the fullback role where he belongs .

Hodgo has played halfback and he would handle the role ., Prince to 5/8

Anybody who has seen Karmicheal Hunt play ,could understand just how good benji will be at the back , but not SUPERCOACH who put him out where front rowers could smash him in attack .

holla4amarshall

Juniors
think about it
i think u will find he is not worth 250k a yea to our team atm
look at my name i love the guy but realistically we will make him a very good offer and if he chooses to play somewhere else for money not much we can do
he is a boy wonder but professionalism has to come into it somewhere
i wish we could pay him 500k to keep him but from the administrations point of view what precident would it set?

magpiemax

Juniors
tracietiga said:
MAX,
Ask yourself this question .
Has the Weststigers ever had a clue about player retention ?
Have they ever had a clue about who we should buy to strengthen the club?

Put simply , we are just there to make up the numbers .
When a player like Benji comes along you find the cash to keep him with you .
No not the Tigers . Who was the official; you were talking about ?
Not the guy who sells raffle tickets at the gate when you walk in.
No apparently this was a prominent official and I honestly don't think Graeme Hughes was spinning sh*t,because I also heard that Benji enjoyed living in QLD where Keebra Park high is and that he misses all of his mates there.
So Brisbane would be very appealing would'nt it????
And every so often when you hear Ricky Stuart talking he alway's refer's to the future of league being people like Benji Marshall. :evil:
F*ck im depressed,this week I will ring my source and if this happen's to be true and we lose him one day I will be saying"f*ck rugby league! "

BJ

Juniors
i wouldnt sign him up to 250k.. but i think 100-150 is addequate for someone with his potential... I'm the same age as him and i would love that kind of money.. signing him up to 250k is a silly move.. it sings him up and keeps him wit hthe club for a few more years.. but what if then he has matured as a player ius very dominant as a player and many teams are looking to sign up his name to their roster.. where do the tigers go from there.. they already have him on a massive contract and to increase it would mean to lessen the price of other players in the team.. and we'd effectvily become a one man team..
where as if we sign him up for 100-150k there is still a bit of le way to increase his salary the next time it comes around..
it's common sense.. but look at how the management has handled any signings since june 30.. common sense and the wests tigers management just dont go hand in hand

Vicious

Bench
If they don`t give Benji 250 k they are kidding.He`d make the money back twice over in the extra publicity and gate takings!If this club is ever going to be successful Benji has to be our number one priority!

tracietiga

Juniors
imo you build your club around a player with Benjis abilities .
But good luck to the kid , he will be a Bronco with all the gooses we have running the show at Wests .

magpiemax

Juniors
holla4amarshall said:
think about it
i think u will find he is not worth 250k a yea to our team atm
look at my name i love the guy but realistically we will make him a very good offer and if he chooses to play somewhere else for money not much we can do
he is a boy wonder but professionalism has to come into it somewhere
i wish we could pay him 500k to keep him but from the administrations point of view what precident would it set?
F*CK the precedent, do you honestly think that the Rooster's give a flying f*ck what other player's or people may think????Look I work in the motor industry selling car's.
And the bloke i work for say's to me "Max,if someone walk's into the caryard with a good car they want to sell to us.Don't be afraid to pay a little more for it.As good car's are hard to come by."
And in my opinion Benji is an Auto,air,steer with log book's and full service history only ever driven to church on Sunday's. :shock:
Get my drift. ;-)

magpiemax

Juniors
BJ said:
i wouldnt sign him up to 250k.. but i think 100-150 is addequate for someone with his potential... I'm the same age as him and i would love that kind of money.. signing him up to 250k is a silly move.. it sings him up and keeps him wit hthe club for a few more years.. but what if then he has matured as a player ius very dominant as a player and many teams are looking to sign up his name to their roster.. where do the tigers go from there.. they already have him on a massive contract and to increase it would mean to lessen the price of other players in the team.. and we'd effectvily become a one man team..
where as if we sign him up for 100-150k there is still a bit of le way to increase his salary the next time it comes around..
it's common sense.. but look at how the management has handled any signings since june 30.. common sense and the wests tigers management just dont go hand in hand
Sorry BJ,one of the few times I don't agree. ;-)
Age has nothing to do with it,Im 10 year's older than David Beckham does that mean I should be on 220k a week?? :shock:
You talk about us becoming a one man team! :oops:
What do you think Newcastle are with John's?? :shock:
And Melbourne without Orford?? :shock:
Common sense is great,but not when there going elsewhere! :(

BJ

Juniors
age was just an example.. saying that i am his age i would be stoked to be on that kind of money.. i think 250k is a bit too much for him atm to go all out and give him the biggest salary we can shouldnt be the go at the moment.. and i think they should decide what is a fair price and then possibly give him an extra few k on top of that.. minimum 100k for benji i'd say at this point in time max 200 and that's stretching it..

and regarding one man team.. i meant pay wise..
if we give a big chunk of the salary to benji.. then how do we sign other players? or keep other potential stars.. we're not the roosters..
what if paying benji and exorbident amount of money now means we miss out on paying the next benji enough to get him to come to the tigers..

benji has always said he loves the tigers.. now if he starts to chase the money then he is showing his true colours.. and that's unfortuante.. it shows how ficcle players can be and how far league has come.. or perhaps how far league has gone backwards.. gone are the days of loyalty.. it's all about the money..

i hope benji stays and the tigers try to keep him at all costs... but how high will that cost end up? and with the increased cost how will that effect the rest of hte team/club and playing roster

gr8_1

Juniors
I heard the radio segment also. I was amazed from what I heard.
Marshall is a franchise player, a player you can build your team around. He and Prince would be a dynamic combination for years to come. He is simply electric, has a good football brain and will bring the crowds in.

This kid is going to be a superstar, I got no doubt about it. If he is asking for $250K I would pay him that, I dont really care how old he is or how many first grade games he has played. Players like Benji only come around every now an then, lets not let him go. Sign him for life NOW !!

I have emailed the club and I suggest anyone else that cares about this club and wants something done for the betterment of the future I suggest you all email your concerns.

When will this club ever learn ..... :roll:

Sincas

Juniors
BJ said:
i wouldnt sign him up to 250k.. but i think 100-150 is addequate for someone with his potential... I'm the same age as him and i would love that kind of money.. signing him up to 250k is a silly move..

How much do you think Whatuira and Prince are worth? I'd rather take a punt and spend the money to keep Benji here for life. The kid is special and if he doesn't live upto the hype we spent a bit of money but where else will that money go? We haven't signed anyone else?

Sincas

Juniors
BJ said:
age was just an example.. saying that i am his age i would be stoked to be on that kind of money.. i think 250k is a bit too much for him atm to go all out and give him the biggest salary we can shouldnt be the go at the moment.. and i think they should decide what is a fair price and then possibly give him an extra few k on top of that.. minimum 100k for benji i'd say at this point in time max 200 and that's stretching it..

pay him a dollar more than the next highest bidder. Don't worry about age or anything else. If one club is willing to pay a certain price we should be matching it. If we don't we will never get a superstar to be proud of because we sure as hell don't buy any. Lets at least keep the ones we currently have.

Sincas

Juniors
gr8_1 said:
Prince is on 220K from memory of last years press releases....

That wouldn't have been in a press release but maybe the media got a hold of it?? I think Benji is worth the equivalent if not more than Prince.

BJ

Juniors
it's a bit of a joke that our club has to pay over the price for players just to come to the club.. not that much of that has come on this year..
but we also have to look to the scenario now that we have to pay a bit over the price for us to keep players..

with benji we pay him that much he stays and it's great.. we dont pay him that much we probably loose him.. but we maybe able to pick up one or two more players for his salary.. or invest it into juniors who could turn out to be another benji..

loyalty has just gone out the window these days.. If benji can live up the hype it'll be great and succeful for the club and he'll be worth every cent.. if he doesn't we're stuck with another terry hill... it's a far stretch but you never know what might happen in this game..