What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BYE BYE BENJI!

yappy

Bench
Yappy, I think you'll find that Lockyer was selected at five-eighth for Australia well before Bennett decided to slot him into the position this season.

When? Not saying you're wrong but he was in the 1 for the Ashes. Gower had the 6 in the First test then it was Wing wasn't it? Can't remember exactly but pretty sure it wasn't Darren even if he spent most of his time at second receiver in attack.

This had nothing to do with club economics but more due to the man's exceptional skills as a footballer. Lockyer came up through the grades as a pivot and on his first appearances off the bench in first grade that was were he always slotted in. He was only moulded into a fullback due to the presence of Langer and Walters as the Brisbane halves and it was an inevitability that one day he would move back into the number 6. He's worn the number 1 for the last few years but has always played a five-eighth's game in attack over that period anyhow.
I know he came through as a pivot and his history and blind Freddy could see he played as a second 5/8 for the Bronc's in attack. Benno always said he was more concerned about having him in the line in defence as his reason why he was against the move. So no I don't think it was inevitable. When he had Walters Lockyer was the better player, but Wayne was delighted to have both. If he could get another top 5/8 he'd stick with Darren at 1. We don't have to agree on that point though, we'll just sit back and enjoy the magic whatever the number.

I scratch my head over Marshall and really can't see what there is to get so excited about. He looks defensively fragile, doesn't appear to have a thoughtful passing game, and his trademark sidestep seems to jolt the attack and slow down the play. I thought a sidestep worked when you were moving forward, not come to a halt as Marshall does. His injuries over the last 12 months would also have to raise concerns over his durability. I hope I'm wrong, but I'd hate to think that we regard this guy as the Messiah, especially if the money we may throw in his direction compromises our commitment to some other young (and I believe better) talent we have at the club.
On this we agree pretty much. I think Liam is a far more complete footballer and if he had half the chances that Marshall has had would prove it. Tim clearly doesn't think so though.

Sincas

Juniors
tigger said:
As i said in the other post, Benji will not be playing with Wests after this current contract runs out. The ONLY way Wests will retain him is if they offer $100k more than any other offer.

Are you a close mate of his?

tigger

Juniors
Last time i checked, my mates are around my age, not blokes that can't get into the pub. I cannot reveal my source due to the relationship, however i believe it to true. I am not asking to be believed as i realise the time that i do spend on here is not used as a productivity boost to your 'club'.

Miracle Balls

Juniors
I stand corrected.

Yappy is totally correct in regard to when Lockyer officially became Australia's five-eighth. I do however believe that it was inevitable that he would eventually move there for the Broncos. He is the best five-eighth in the world, probably the best since Lewis and Kenny, and I don't think his move had anything to do with financial necessity.

I too would like to see young Fulton given a run at five-eighth for the Tigers. With Marshall not there I can't see a whole lot of positives in the selections on Wilson and Buettner.

tigger

Juniors
Miracle Balls said:
I stand corrected.

Yappy is totally correct in regard to when Lockyer officially became Australia's five-eighth. I do however believe that it was inevitable that he would eventually move there for the Broncos. He is the best five-eighth in the world, probably the best since Lewis and Kenny, and I don't think his move had anything to do with financial necessity.

I too would like to see young Fulton given a run at five-eighth for the Tigers. With Marshall not there I can't see a whole lot of positives in the selections on Wilson and Buettner.

He has nothing on the great Mick Neil ;-)

super_coach

First Grade
the jury is still out-- is benji worth 20 grand or 1 million who knows--but if this club is going anywhere--they have to target a name and market him,sell the club-attract sponor dollar--just turn the bloody place around--at the moment this place is going nowhere--benji is the bloke they have to throw dollars at--even if its to buy a few headlines--attract a few other blokes to the place--Give me 3.5 million and i could turn this place around tomorrow--maybe not a grand final--but blody close---NOYCE LAVERS SHEENS YOUR KIDDING

Of course he will go, and who could blame him either, we havent done anythng for ages, and why has no one spoke about tim sheens, we are still rubbish like last year and i hope somes got a big rabbit because we need to gfet some new players in that team quick smart, otherwise how are we goin 2 improve?????

who wants to play for a club who constantly every year get beaten by big scores and show no signs of improvement, we need to improve dramatically cause we have got the juniors other teams would die for but we just dont perform on the field and thats why u have half the wests juniors leaving playin for the other clubs, they have to get the kids to say they want to play for the wests tigers 1st grade side, but if you asked most of the kids in the cambo area ost of hem wouldnt wont to play for the tigers, but if asked most of the kids in brisbane who they would wont to play for they would say broncos

tigermania

Juniors
It's refreshing to see many other people read things as i do! Well on Benji he will not resign with us(would you) SMELL THE ROSES guys realistically look at the team at present and the team WITH THE MAJOR SIGNINGS FOR NEXT YEAR! yer right Bendji will sign on again.Have a long hard look at the players we have HONESTLY....... people are saying resign Senter the guy can't make the ruck after 8 mins WATCH A GAME AND CLOCK and the prince of jersey grabbing Fitzhenrey makes Tyran look like a heavy hitter get with reality people look at the team you will have next yr !at this stage doesn't look real good .My posts are REALITY not Negative!!Who wouldn't want to go to a professionaly run club for more money and a chance for succsses obviously not to many people on this site .

magpiemax

Juniors
tigermania said:
It's refreshing to see many other people read things as i do! Well on Benji he will not resign with us(would you) SMELL THE ROSES guys realistically look at the team at present and the team WITH THE MAJOR SIGNINGS FOR NEXT YEAR! yer right Bendji will sign on again.Have a long hard look at the players we have HONESTLY....... people are saying resign Senter the guy can't make the ruck after 8 mins WATCH A GAME AND CLOCK and the prince of jersey grabbing Fitzhenrey makes Tyran look like a heavy hitter get with reality people look at the team you will have next yr !at this stage doesn't look real good .My posts are REALITY not Negative!!Who wouldn't want to go to a professionaly run club for more money and a chance for succsses obviously not to many people on this site .
Nothing like a little bit of punishment. ;-)

magpiemax

Juniors
Funny how I put up this thread on july 14 and it's only in the paper's now.
Pfffft..........and some people on here feel that what I write is'nt correct. :clap: #-o

gr8_1

Juniors
magpiemax said:
Pfffft..........and some people on here feel that what I write is'nt correct. :clap: #-o

Whatcha mean Maxxxxxxxxxxx ? :)

Anonymous

Juniors
magpiemax said:

:lol:

You're having a go at me. Your source on this one was public - 2sm.

magpiemax

Juniors
Balmain_Boy said:
magpiemax said:

:lol:

You're having a go at me. Your source on this one was public - 2sm.
Sorry BB,did'nt realise I mentioned your name anywhere??? ;-)

Anonymous

Juniors
Ahh but i'm the only who questioned you. And it wasn't meant with any malice. I'm struggling to understand why you take it so personally

magpiemax

Juniors
Balmain_Boy said:
Ahh but i'm the only who questioned you. And it wasn't meant with any malice. I'm struggling to understand why you take it so personally
I was Just having a bad hair day. ;-)