What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CA tv rights discussion

Tommy Smith

Referee
Nable would compliment the batsman every 2nd ball for "finding his front".

The tennis coverage has been Aids. Not just any Aids; but 80s Aids.

Absolutely horrendous and as a big tennis fan it's killing the fun.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Nable would compliment the batsman every 2nd ball for "finding his front".

The tennis coverage has been Aids. Not just any Aids; but 80s Aids.

Absolutely horrendous and as a big tennis fan it's killing the fun.
Has someone checked on poor JJ to see if he’s ok???

franklin2323

Immortal
Having watched the first few days of the Australian Open, I'm bloody glad the cricket is gone from Nine. Their coverage has been the usual half-assed mess that only Channel Nine can bring to sports coverage.

Atleast they had every game. BBL goes too goes to mostly Pay TV til the finals. Give me shitty coverage over none

franklin2323

Immortal
6 of those left are Fox only games. All except Heat v Hurricanes should have a bearing on the finals. Combine that with ODI's not on FTA and there is no way this year beats last year's coverage

Timbo

Staff member
6 of those left are Fox only games. All except Heat v Hurricanes should have a bearing on the finals. Combine that with ODI's not on FTA and there is no way this year beats last year's coverage

The quality of the coverage is significantly better.

I am happy to pay a little bit to enjoy the way the game is presented. There is also a much higher percentage of cricket on FTA in Australia than in any other cricket playing country. Not to mention there is a a higher percentage of cricket on FTA than NRL, or virtually any other sport.

franklin2323

Immortal
The quality of the coverage is significantly better.

I am happy to pay a little bit to enjoy the way the game is presented. There is also a much higher percentage of cricket on FTA in Australia than in any other cricket playing country. Not to mention there is a a higher percentage of cricket on FTA than NRL, or virtually any other sport.

Besides India where it is loved. How many of those countries is cricket the national sport? I guess we will see down the track but it seems to not have the interest as in previous years

Diesel

Referee
Channel 7 coverage is much better but this scheduling of no ODI’s on FTA and not every BBL is going to have a dramatic effect in the next decade-decade and a half if it continues for a few more seasons

El Diablo

Post Whore
Not to mention there is a a higher percentage of cricket on FTA than NRL, or virtually any other sport.

probably not if you include when we play overseas and the only cricket ever shown on FTA is The Ashes

Timbo

Staff member
probably not if you include when we play overseas and the only cricket ever shown on FTA is The Ashes

This is true, but it’s nothing new.

Outside of games in NZ most matches overseas are played during footy season anyway. I don’t imagine they’d get great viewing numbers.

typicalfan

Coach
Channel 7 coverage is much better but this scheduling of no ODI’s on FTA and not every BBL is going to have a dramatic effect in the next decade-decade and a half if it continues for a few more seasons
7 has only covered the tests that 9 did so they are doing only 6 games much easier to have a better quality coverage with less games.

Channel 10 did the BBL better than 7 or Fox imo.

typicalfan

Coach
Besides India where it is loved. How many of those countries is cricket the national sport? I guess we will see down the track but it seems to not have the interest as in previous years
Pakistan and Bangladesh that I know of. Big sport in England and Australia where it would be in the top 3 at least.

Timbo

Staff member
NZ too. I’m not sure about SA but cricket is losing a lot of players to basketball in the WI’s

I heard a West Indies sports journalist talking about that the other day during one of the breaks in the first England/WI - he said that while that's been reported for years, it's largely not true. It stems from two gun fast bowling prospects defecting to basketball in the late 90s when US colleges offered scholarships, and the media just ran with this idea that basketball was killing cricket.

Apparently player numbers in the West Indies are about what they were in the 80's. It's just that the high-performance programs can't compete with the funding of those in larger, more developed countries and because the pay isn't great young players are trying to turn themselves into T20 players from the outset because that's how you make money as a Carribean cricketer.