What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CA tv rights discussion

Timbo

Staff member
You just know 9 will onsell much of it to Fox if they get it.

Every game being live on FTA is what's made it the behemoth it is.

axl rose

Bench
The Big Bash presented by Tracy Grimjaw and Tubby Taylor, coming soon.

Last edited:

Haffa

You just know 9 will onsell much of it to Fox if they get it.

And you just know they'll rotate the Heat and Victorian teams every friday and saturday.

undertaker

Coach

This.

Just take a look at the meteoric rise in crowd attendances and tv ratings since BBL moved to Ch10 in 2013/14. I know it was very popular when it was on Fox, but it is the larger exposure and target audience that can be achieved on FTA that counts in the long-run. If it was still exclusively on Fox, no way would the MCG have got 80k+, Gabba and Adelaide Oval getting near-capacity crowds, WACA selling out every game etc.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, a sport or competition/tournament without FTA exposure is going to struggle big time to reach it's maximum growth potential. In Australia, Super Rugby and A-League have been two classic examples of this.

undertaker

Coach
And you just know they'll rotate the Heat and Victorian teams every friday and saturday.

If Ch9 get the rights, there is absolutely NO WAY that they will televise all games (let alone live Australia-wide) like Ch10 has. You can completely forget about that. They won't put that level of effort of full commitment to test matches, ODIs and BBL.

And if Ch9 were to televise only some of the BBL matches (with Fox getting the rest), they would only do 1 (maybe 2 max) per round, and most likely it will be on either Friday night or Saturday night. During the ODIs, it will be Saturday night as ODIs are mostly played on Friday or Sunday. Furthermore, it will only be those "marquee" BBL sides (most notably the Melbourne Star, whom Eddie McGuire is CEO of, and Sydney Sixers) that will get the bulk of the FTA/Ch9 matches, as those are the two largest metro areas in terms of ratings figures. Sydney Thunder and Melbourne Renegades are the smaller, "inferior" franchises and more inconsistent form to the Star and Sixers in those cities, so they may only get games if it involves the Star or Sixers. It will be a deja vu of what Ch9 have done with their NRL coverage in the past, with the same teams monopolising the majority of the FTA matches, irrespective of form.

Games on weekdays would not start before 7:30pm AEDST to accommodate their 1hr news bulletin and A Current Affair. Therefore, because of the time difference, I can see that people living outside of NSW/ACT/Victoria/Tasmania are going to get screwed with delayed coverage such as Perth (it is not in Ch9's DNA to have live cricket match monopolising the ratings of their 6pm news bulletin, let alone have a mickey-mouse tournament in the news timeslot), and also in Queensland due to daylight saving (like Ch10 did up until last summer, when they finally decided to show it live on their secondary channel). Ch9 will only have a fleeting interest in covering Brisbane Heat games whilst Chris Lynn (and the Lynnosity craze/bandwagon) is playing for them. Otherwise, the Perth, Adelaide and Hobart franchises are going to get shafted and have the bulk of their games on Fox. Ch9 definitely won't televise a Perth vs Adelaide or Hobart vs Perth match as all they would care about is maximising ratings in Sydney and Melbourne (and to a lesser extent, Brisbane).

Last edited:

Front-Rower

First Grade
Games on weekdays would not start before 7:30pm AEDST to accommodate their 1hr news bulletin and A Current Affair.

Channel 10 did the same when The Project was on air with games routinely starting at 7.40pm on weeknights;

http://www.espncricinfo.com/big-bash-league-2016-17/engine/match/1023635.html (start time 19:40 AEDST)

http://www.espncricinfo.com/big-bash-league-2016-17/engine/match/1023637.html (start time 19:40 AEDST)

http://www.espncricinfo.com/big-bash-league-2016-17/engine/match/1023639.html (start time 18:40 QLD time)

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ch7 are officially out of contention due to their commitments with the Australian Open, which yields them high ratings.

ABC and SBS simply don't have the money to fork out what CA are after.

So, that leaves Ch9 and 10, as Fox Sports can't make an outright bid due to the anti-siphoning laws.

ROFL! I would piss myself laughing if that actually happened. That would be soooooooo typical of Ch9 to do that, given their track record with the NRL
Could Ten drop the F1 in Melbourne telecast to free up some coin to retain the BBL.

I'm of the belief that F1 broadcasts are f**king expensive and given Fox Sports broadcasts every race anyway, the Australian F1 audience won't miss out. Ten are pouring cash down a drain with that deal

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
*bump*

Amongst all this chaos of ball tampering, Nine has poached the tennis rights off Seven.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis...l/news-story/b9dc992d8a39c4b28c301a2041d0653b

You'd have to think this will upset the whole apple cart. Seven suddenly into the race for cricket?
You'd have to think 7 will get the BBL and they will do a top job with it, with the hope of luring ODI's away from Nine as well, which I gather Nine may consider agreeing to if the next NRL deal includes a comp with a team in Perth, therefore justifying a huge price increase.

Timbo

Staff member
http://www.afr.com/business/media-a...00m-to-keep-cricket-freetoair-20180407-h0yh4w

Looks like it'll all be staying on free to air. This is a massive relief, this time last week apparently the ink was about to dry on a Seven/Fox Sports split of content.

Only change will be Nine will only do the test matches, whilst Ten picks up ODIs, T20Is and retains the BBL. I guess this is because with Nine now having the tennis they can't have clashes on their primary channel during January. Bit of a shame the whole thing didn't go to Ten, they do a much better job than Nine. I guess they can't afford it though.

It will be interesting what happens in years where India tour though, like next season - the tests start later and spill into January/February. There will obviously have to be a two-week blackout in the schedule for test matches as Nine won't be able to split their coverage.

I am absolutely shocked that Seven didn't throw the kitchen sink at the test matches at least - this leaves them with no summer sporting content other than golf and the Sydney to Hobart. However will anyone know when My Kitchen Rules is on if they have no cross-promotional vehicle?

_snafu_

Immortal
I am sure Channel 10's coverage will be replete with what I describes as "Who gives a f**k about who is in the Jungle" ads....

http://www.afr.com/business/media-a...00m-to-keep-cricket-freetoair-20180407-h0yh4w

Looks like it'll all be staying on free to air. This is a massive relief, this time last week apparently the ink was about to dry on a Seven/Fox Sports split of content.

Only change will be Nine will only do the test matches, whilst Ten picks up ODIs, T20Is and retains the BBL. I guess this is because with Nine now having the tennis they can't have clashes on their primary channel during January. Bit of a shame the whole thing didn't go to Ten, they do a much better job than Nine. I guess they can't afford it though.

It will be interesting what happens in years where India tour though, like next season - the tests start later and spill into January/February. There will obviously have to be a two-week blackout in the schedule for test matches as Nine won't be able to split their coverage.

I am absolutely shocked that Seven didn't throw the kitchen sink at the test matches at least - this leaves them with no summer sporting content other than golf and the Sydney to Hobart. However will anyone know when My Kitchen Rules is on if they have no cross-promotional vehicle?

I’m not sure this is over yet, Lachlan Murdoch is flying into the country this week to supposedly get involved in this negotiation.

https://www.crikey.com.au/2018/04/0...-delaney-planning-big-cricket-deal-on-rights/

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
International games are protected by the anti siphoning laws - provided a FTA network takes up the option to broadcast them. If not they can go to fox or someone similar.

The domestic competitions are a different proposition, the BBL would be a key gain for fox but I'd be thinking TEN will be going after that big time

I honestly don't believe CA is that stupid. They are hurting badly PR-wise at the moment. Taking a large slab of their content off FTA would be another bullet in the foot.

It depends what the deal would look like.

Under the anti syphoning rules the tests & ODI’s can’t go to fox exclusively anyway, so you’d be looking at just the some BBL matches being exclusive to fox.