What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CA tv rights discussion

Timbo

Staff member
I'll have to look at my bill - I'm paying $44 a month and was assured it was the cheapest possible pack.

Timbo

Staff member
One good thing, the NRL just became much more important to ch9.

Ten now have no premium sport and a rich new owner, good for when the NRL rights come up again.

Having said that, Nine have saved a stack by switching their summer content from cricket to tennis. They'll be far more cashed up to hang on to NRL.

Having said that, Nine have saved a stack by switching their summer content from cricket to tennis. They'll be far more cashed up to hang on to NRL.

Not as much as you’d think.

They paid $60m per year for tennis, and were paying $80m per year for cricket. (Other $20m for for cricket coming from ten)

Timbo

Staff member
This could honestly kill off ODI’s in Australia

Yep. Australia, at home in summer behind a paywall. Absolutely disgusting by CA - trading the health and future of the game for a few pieces of silver.

We're going to be fielding the weakest XI since the 80s next summer and a good chunk of it will only be on Fox. Prepare for record low interest in cricket. Slow clap CA, slow clap.

It may also encourage people to get to the game now it has been taken off of FTA.

Although I expect the Federal Government to get involved in some way.

Even if it does do that, it’s not a patch on the audience loss.

ODI’s were rating 1.5 million on 9, they’ll be lucky to get 400k on fox. Could push 450k at best.

Timbo

Staff member
Even if it does do that, it’s not a patch on the audience loss.

ODI’s were rating 1.5 million on 9, they’ll be lucky to get 400k on fox. Could push 450k at best.

What about the BBL - the Fox exclusive games will struggle to get above 200k, especially if they're up against FTA tennis. Imagine Hobart vs Adelaide exclusively on Fox - these matches were drawing over a million last year.

Front-Rower

First Grade
What about the BBL - the Fox exclusive games will struggle to get above 200k, especially if they're up against FTA tennis. Imagine Hobart vs Adelaide exclusively on Fox - these matches were drawing over a million last year.

From reports there will only be 16 games exclusive to Foxtel in the BBL out of 60.

BBL isn’t being reduced on FTA though. Comp is being expanded.

There were 43 games on ten this year, there’ll be 43 on seven next year.

undertaker

Coach
Im all for Ch9 losing the cricket rights if it means not having to listen to the Warne, Clarke, Slats, Pietersen wankathon again. First time Ch7 have televised cricket since the 2005 ODIs in England pre-Ashes series.

However, the only downside is Brayshaw signed with Ch7s AFL coverage and very high chance he will be one of the cricket commentators.

As I predicted earlier in the thread, once Fox Sports gets their foot in the door regarding international matches in Australia, this is heading the exact way of what happened in England.

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
Nine still has the rights to the next away Ashes series in England, the next World Cup and the next World T20.

Be interesting to see how they treat them.

Timbo

Staff member
Im all for Ch9 losing the cricket rights if it means not having to listen to the Warne, Clarke, Slats, Pietersen wankathon again. First time Ch7 have televised cricket since the 2005 ODIs in England pre-Ashes series.

However, the only downside is Brayshaw signed with Ch7s AFL coverage and very high chance he will be one of the cricket commentators.

As I predicted earlier in the thread, once Fox Sports gets their foot in the door regarding international matches in Australia, this is heading the exact way of what happened in England.

This is my fear too. People who are pointing at it just being a small portion of the BBL and ODIs - this is exactly how it started in the UK. First it was simulcasting ODIs. Then it was simulcasting one test match. Then it was ODIs exclusively and simulcasting all the tests. Now it is all behind the paywall.

Death by a thousand cuts, and English cricket is far worse for it.

Also, before anyone points to the anti-siphoning list, home England test cricket matches were on their version of that list too. All it took was a bit of lobbying from uncle Rupert and suddenly the list was revised.

Latest posts