What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cairns District 2006

tully06nz

Juniors
Just wondering if anyone knows about player movement for 2006 in the C.D.R.L comp.
I know that Tully will be losing Matt Morice(Cairns Brothers), Neil Jesse, and Joel Reithmuller.
In losing these players, I know they have looked to recruit over in NZ. So far they have George Taunga(NZ University star player, Canterbury Bulls), Kahu Whi(Canterbury Bulls U'18s), Nathan Hohaia(Central Falcons/Taranaki, NZ Maoris), Crete Cribb (Manuwatu Rugby) and they are trying to get Richard Marsters (Cook Islands halfback, and Eastern Tornadoes), aswell as current players from NZ Roy Leoni, Maveigh Makatoa returning aswell.

Bomber

Bench
I haven't really heard anything, as I haven't been in the district for a while

I do know that the competition is expanding next season, with the Edmonton Storm fielding teams in the A Grade, A Reserves and Under 18s. No team has been given the chop, meaning that there will be a 11-team competition in 2006 with teams playing 20 games.

nqcowboy87

Bench
go the roos i see them as a team on the up
ps.
heres a little prediction for all u guys mareeba to be somewhere in the pack of the pack in coming years, as theyre junioir system in the eacham comp isnt that good snce they split from the cdjrl, both times we played they're under 18s last year we put 50 on them so did most other teams so u go from there

tully06nz

Juniors
dont think kangaroos will b that good, they have lost Jason Joinbee, and Royston Lightning to the new club Edmonton

nqcowboy87

Bench
i didnt know sunbus was leaving but i sort had an idea royston was but i heard from around the traps at roos that he was going to suburbs but oh well he was pretty good for us at five eigth

nqcowboy87

Bench
i dont think we will struggle im not sure about taking the premiership but we will challenge, our under 18's will go great guns next year as many of our under16's from last year will be mivng up to 18's and they were undefeated for pretty much the whole season

tully06nz

Juniors
I just heard a rumor floating (even though Im in NZ) around that he was goin there with Joinbee, but who knows. lol. so the Roo's lookin good this year?

nqcowboy87

Bench
trial wins
innisfail all three grades against tully unsure about scores
kangaroos v edmonton
under 18s lost by 2 points after leading by 20 at half time
reserves 24-12 unsure the score even though i played 90% of the game
a grade won by 52 points to 10 or something only watched the first half

Bomber

Bench
Mareeba and Atherton won their trials played last weekend, both against TDRL sides University and Burdekin - I'm not sure who played whom.

Mossman beat Edmonton 42-18 (or something like that) at the CDJRL grounds at Mann Street. Is this where the Storm will base itself for their first few years until a home ground is built? I remember Yarrabah played their home games in 2000 at Barlow Park before shifting to Jilara Oval in 2001.

As for predictions, well, I don't think the status quo of years gone by will change too much. Brothers and Innisfail should be up there as contenders, with possibly Mareeba not too far behind. I think Edmonton will really struggle this year, but I could be proven wrong.

The season starts this weekend.

Philby

Juniors
tully06nz said:
dont think kangaroos will b that good, they have lost Jason Joinbee, and Royston Lightning to the new club Edmonton

So thats where Lightnings been hideing. Last time i saw him he was staggering around the belconnen labour club in canberra and that would have been at least 5yrs ago. Hows he doing up there? He was a hell of a talent when he was at school. I thought he had given the game up

nqcowboy87

Bench
royston is our first grade captain, 5/8 and first choice kicker however he is out of action with an ankle injury at the moment. he is one of the most inspirational, determined and skilled players at roos, sure he's not one of the fittest players at the club but he is our go-to man, played for cairns last 2 seasons.

Philby

Juniors
Good to see he is still playing. He was a flying winger in his day with the raiders. Not sure what happend there though. He was ment to be the next big thing

Tigertread

Juniors
He got fat and lazy.
He spent a couple of years in Ingham (his home town) playing when he came back from Canberra before moving up to play in the Cairns comp. He has been with three differnt clubs up there.