What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron Smith is the greatest rugby league player ever.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
With Munster on the mend, GOAT may start 6.

That is how good he is.

tbf helps when you have the kiwi hooker to go there.

blue bags

First Grade
the goat could play half, or 5-8 nest game, and origin,
a lot of prizes this year for the goat

blue bags

First Grade
Quote:
"When it comes to labelling 'the greatest player ever', usually the arguments revolve around either Andrew Johns or Johnathan Thurston. But in the past few days, these two players have anointed Smith with the title of the best they have seen."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-08/cameron-smith-set-to-break-nrl-games-record/8885716
great goats, but you got to agree, all 3 goats

https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/...th-the-best-of-all-time.466424/#post-14370236

blue bags

First Grade
No fanfare for Smith's possible farewell

A preliminary final loss to Canberra on Friday night could see Melbourne skipper Cameron Smith bow out of the NRL with minimum fuss.

And that's just the way he wants it, according to Storm coach Craig Bellamy.

A future Immortal, Smith will play his 429th match in the grand-final qualifier at Suncorp Stadium and it may be his last before retirement.

But because the 37-year-old is yet to tell Melbourne of his decision, there will be no pomp and ceremony - although at least the game will be in front of a maximum crowd of 39,000 which is 75 per cent capacity of the Brisbane venue.

"We still honestly don't know what Cameron is doing," Bellamy said on Thursday.

"Right at the start I said I didn't expect an answer from him until he's ready to give an answer so he hasn't been ready to give an answer.

"We would have liked to have made it a bit more special if it is his last game but is that a sign he's going to go on? I don't know.

"I promised him I wouldn't put any heat on him."

Bellamy said because of that pact he hadn't asked Smith again this week about whether their 19-year relationship at the Storm was coming to a close.

He thought even if Smith had made a retirement call he was keeping it to himself because he wanted the match to be about the team rather than himself.

"I think it's all that to be honest because I said to him we'd like to give you a send-off and he said 'Why'.

"He's not one of those guys who wants the fanfare, he wants to achieve what he sets out to achieve and he doesn't need the accolades," Bellamy said.

The Storm went through their final training session on Thursday with NSW Origin lock Dale Finucane, who hasn't played since round 14 due to a calf injury, still not 100 per cent.

Bellamy was still tossing up Finucane's long time out against his experience of playing in five grand finals.

"He obviously gives us a whole heap of experience with playing Origins and grand finals and he's a great leader," Bellamy said of Finucane.

"Eight or nine weeks is a long time not to be playing but it's worth that risk to have a player who has that experience and is probably one of the most competitive players I've ever coached."

The coach was brighter about star playmaker Cameron Munster, who was in doubt after re-injuring his knee in the qualifying final.

"I haven't been concerned with him at all," Bellamy said of the five-eighth."

Share or comment on this article:
No fanfare for Smith's possible farewell

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/aap/article-8842201/No-fanfare-Smiths-possible-farewell.html

Lemon Squash

First Grade
If the merkin is retiring (which he quite obviously is) why doesn’t he just come out and confirm it now.

He will come out afterwards and say ‘I didn’t want the focus on me’

But guess what Cam it already is especially after the shit after the game last night, I thought for sure he’d confirm it in the press conference.

The speculation has been going on for months and just about every fan I know doesn’t care if he retires, keeps playing or becomes an astronaut... I’m just sick of fkn hearing about it and now the media will beat this up for the week even worse now.