What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron Smith Watch

you sound like all the F1 whingers who say Hamilton is only so good as he drives for Mercedes lol. Genuine legends create history,
F1 is a constructor's series for the rich. Teams spend something like $30M to & $100M each year to redesign their car from the chassis up to the engine, based on a list of rules they have to follow. The teams with the most money hire the best engineers and produce the fastest cars. It's also a European-centric series that favours European drivers over everyone else.

IndyCars is a better indication of driver ability as it's more of a spec series, with just 2 engine suppliers, all cars using a Dalara chassis and the only option being how they design their aerokits. Plus IndyCars have refuelling, which adds more strategy to the race. There's no power steering in IndyCars and the season is raced on road, street and oval tracks, which all have their own peculiarities that need to be mastered. Teams only spend about $5M to $10M a year.

There’s plenty but the key things, comparing to others etc..
  • Longevity. No one played near as long as him. Kenny’s knees were shot in his later years. Sterling and Johns were forced into retirement.
  • He played in the forwards, Hooker. He’d handle the ball more than anyone, far more physical than the backs. Artie was a forward but not at hooker. Arguably Smith did the most work on the field than everyone else...
I've got to question these two points.
Gallen only retired the year before, he played the same amount of seasons, 19, and in a much tougher position in the forwards.

In a very vanilla nrl now we have lost smith and Gallen who are going to be the heroes and villains? Be great to see more characters, love or hate them, come to the fore this year. The cheese and Munster are two obvious ones if they are allowed some freedom to express themselves. Anyone else looking likely to take up the “character” mantle?
Very good point in regards to who will play the villain. Both Gallen and Smith have held that mantle for over a decade, Gal has even continued that roll into boxing.
Cheese and Munster are only ever going to be on the likable side.
I daresay Nathan Cleary may take up a bit of the darker side, he seems to polarise people, and it's not a state by state division either.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Maybe we should judge the standing of Cameron Smith on how his team performs once he's no longer there. If he's as great as some are saying then surely there will be a noticeable dip in the Storms performance this year. If it's business as usual then what does that say?

Nah there won't be, Harry Grant is a superstar. Their spine hasn't missed a beat either, Papenhauzen is a superstar, so is Munster.

I've got to question these two points.
Gallen only retired the year before, he played the same amount of seasons, 19, and in a much tougher position in the forwards.

Hey BBB,

No argument with Gal excelling in those two areas. His longevity n stamina in the NRL is up there with the absolute best. I was comparing him to the others in that list..

I don’t know how many minutes he’d average playing in a game, but Smith would always play the full 80.

But that’s two areas Gal could be considered one of the best in the NRL. Villainy too, In all areas combined, smith comes up a winner for mine.

I absolutely rate Gallen as one of the best forwards NSW have ever had. People bang on about losing those series etc, but that QLD era was just off the charts in talent and we’d have got murdered each year if it wasn’t for the likes of Gallen who ran relentlessly into the teeth of Qld’s best. The NSW side of recent years may have won series, but I’d take Gallens teams over anything we’ve dished up since he retired.

But back to the best ever player in Rugby League, Smith takes the chocolates. I’d have Paul Gallen in my forward pack, but not in my top 10 of all time.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maybe we should judge the standing of Cameron Smith on how his team performs once he's no longer there. If he's as great as some are saying then surely there will be a noticeable dip in the Storms performance this year. If it's business as usual then what does that say?

that Storm have an outstanding production line and replacement strategy?

Walter Lindrum says hi. Lindrum held the World Professional Billiards Championship from 1933 until he retired in 1950. Lindrum was that good that the Billiards Control Council changed the rules because of him after he set a world record break of 4,137 in January 1932, which eclipsed his own previous world record of 3,262 which he set in December 1929. In fact in his early years, they used to refer to Don Bradman as the "Lindrum of cricket".

Cam Smith isn't fit to lick Lindrums shoes by comparison.

There are a lot of people on this site that like to play pocket billiards. I can think of a few who would be world champions there.

Ok Walter Lindrum was better at his respective sport than than Cam Smith. I ll give you that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Always amazes me that Madame Tussaud’s can make them so life like but sculptures seem to have problems lol

Excuse me, I was awarded a City of Newcastle Drama Award in 1981. His film credits include Bliss in 1985 and Babe in 1995.I'm also on intimate terms with many sporting celebrates (including many top racehorses), as well as film and music stars, politicians and other leaders of society around the world, yet who retains the "common touch" and stands for Australian manhood, fairness, and honesty.

I have seen and done it all and I am utterly passionate about truth and honesty in sport.

i have scored more tries in country footy than you have had hot dinners.

https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/ ... vmzzib8x1w

Cameron Smith didn't want to play against Melbourne Storm, reveals Mal Meninga
WRITTEN BY
TOM NAGHTEN

"I talked to Smithy twice basically, through the whole episode," Meninga said on Fox League.

"We talked about- he wanted to play. He left at the back end of last year obviously with a premiership, he's a champion and he still feels he could still play

"We talk as ex-players, you actually know when you're done and dusted. Your body falls apart, mentally you don't want to play anymore, you're sick of turning up to training and playing, that's how we feel - we're done."

Meninga agreed, but said the decision came down to Smith not wanting to face the club he played his entire career with.

"At the end of the day, he didn't want to play against Melbourne," Meninga added.

"He's Melbourne, he's been Melbourne all his career, he showed great loyalty to Melbourne and I feel he's made the right decision.

"As an old fella, I feel he's made the right decision for the right reasons. It's all about not playing against Melbourne."

MugaB

Coach
So........offers just not up to scratch huh !
Cant take a week off during the round against Melbourne? Plenty of contracts have and ex player not having to verse their old team, at least for the first year.
I saw there was a few of these with the loan players last year

Chimp

Juniors
A statue immortalising the goat was more important than being a turn coat, take note Cooper!
If the Storm run into injury problems, specifically Grant and/or Brandon Smith, you watch Cam come out of retirement near August time on a SBW type contract that’s only for a few hundred Thousand, but pro-rata about $1.5m