What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron v Joey?

Cameron or Joey?

• Cam Smith

Votes: 27 28.1%
  • Joey Johns

Votes: 69 71.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Maroon_Faithful

Juniors
The 'Joey couldn't play Origin at half' is such a weak argument. It's not that he wasn't good enough, it was because he was so good he could fill the hooking position while letting Kimmorly etc play half and be in the same team at the same time
Nah that's rubbish. The line about Johns being so good he could play hooker is so factually and historically incorrect. It's just a bullshit line originating with Phil Gould (the coach at the time.)

Johns wasn't dropped from halfback after his first two games in 95 because he was so good he could play hooker. Obviously not, given that he was dropped completely for Geoff Toovey. Who, incidentally, kept a stranglehold on the Blues 7 jersey for another 2 years and captained the Blues during that time. And here's the thing - he was just as versatile as Johns; he could play half and hooker. And in fact filled in for and injured Johns after half-time of Game 1 97, and pretty much got the Blues over the line (he won MOTM). So given that they could both play 9 and 7 to SOO standard, why is it that Toovey got the nod at halfback? It's because he was the better, more experienced, halfback at the time.

2000 was different. Johns was picked on the bench for Game 2 and 3 because he missed Game 1 through injury and Kimmorley didn't deserve to be dropped. Ironically, Johns came on at acting half for Geoff Toovey. :lol:

By comparative standards, Andrew Johns does not deserve to be mentioned in the top 5 Origin players of all time. He didn't dominate a series until 2003 (against arguably one of QLD's weakest sides). He was outplayed over the course of the 2002 series by a 36-year-old Allan Langer. He was dropped in his first series. He lost NSW the famous Game 1 of 1998 by kicking 1 from 5 (most of which were relatively simple shots.) 2003 and 2005 were his highlights. And we could go into why those weren't exactly against the greatest opposition.

Wally Lewis, Allan Langer, Peter Sterling, Brad Fittler, Brett Kenny, Laurie Daley, Darren Lockyer, all of these men and more were better, more consistent Origin players. Johns is arguably the best player of all time but his Origin career was less than what it should've been.

Maroon_Faithful

Juniors
Smith is over rated. He has had the advantage of playing with stars all his career due to salary cap cheating. Also having a eat coach and even now he has billy slater and cooper Cronk. Is he a fantastic player yep - is he at Joey level - nope. Last year he was outplayed in origin by Farah and most seasons he is outplayed by Farah despite playing In a team of champions .
:roll:

And in the first year of them being back in line and under the cap, legally, after losing blokes like Inglis and Lima, Smith captains Melbourne to their first premiership since 99.:lol: Good call.

And I think you'd be very surprised to see how Cronk would go without Smith. He basically has the easiest job of any RL halfback because of the way Smith runs the side from acting half.

Last edited:

Maroon_Faithful

Juniors
As for my own opinion on the matter, it's a difficult one. I don't really think I'm even in a position to pronounce upon it because I really haven't gone back and watched the tapes of Smith's earliest career. So I'm not sure who I'd call the better player. Whoever it is though is in line for the best player of all time, as I see it. I mean personally, I think Lewis is the best of all time. One thing is for sure though, Cameron Smith is the most valuable and contributive player I've ever seen. He shoulders a massive workload in defence, he organises the attack, he kicks, he kicks goals, he creates, and he captains. Johns and Lewis were both more talented and more freakish attackers, and whilst they were both defensively proficient players, they do not even begin to compare to Smith in terms of workrate. I defy anyone to name a player that contributes more overall.

And one of the very often overlooked faculties is durability. Cameron Smith is one of the most durable players I can recall. If Smith plays until he is 33, he will break Lockyer's Origin games record. If he plays until he's 34 and doesn't miss another game, he'll be the first player to break 40. And he'll certainly pass the 300 club game milestone.

Canard

Immortal
Nah that's rubbish. The line about Johns being so good he could play hooker is so factually and historically incorrect. It's just a bullshit line originating with Phil Gould (the coach at the time.)

Johns wasn't dropped from halfback after his first two games in 95 because he was so good he could play hooker. Obviously not, given that he was dropped completely for Geoff Toovey. Who, incidentally, kept a stranglehold on the Blues 7 jersey for another 2 years and captained the Blues during that time. And here's the thing - he was just as versatile as Johns; he could play half and hooker. And in fact filled in for and injured Johns after half-time of Game 1 97, and pretty much got the Blues over the line (he won MOTM). So given that they could both play 9 and 7 to SOO standard, why is it that Toovey got the nod at halfback? It's because he was the better, more experienced, halfback at the time.

2000 was different. Johns was picked on the bench for Game 2 and 3 because he missed Game 1 through injury and Kimmorley didn't deserve to be dropped. Ironically, Johns came on at acting half for Geoff Toovey. :lol:

By comparative standards, Andrew Johns does not deserve to be mentioned in the top 5 Origin players of all time. He didn't dominate a series until 2003 (against arguably one of QLD's weakest sides). He was outplayed over the course of the 2002 series by a 36-year-old Allan Langer. He was dropped in his first series. He lost NSW the famous Game 1 of 1998 by kicking 1 from 5 (most of which were relatively simple shots.) 2003 and 2005 were his highlights. And we could go into why those weren't exactly against the greatest opposition.

Wally Lewis, Allan Langer, Peter Sterling, Brad Fittler, Brett Kenny, Laurie Daley, Darren Lockyer, all of these men and more were better, more consistent Origin players. Johns is arguably the best player of all time but his Origin career was less than what it should've been.

I'd rate a few more ahead of him also.

He never consistently dominated Origin even when NSW was the Australian team.

I love how everyone in there efforts to downplay Smith are stating that Buderous, O Davis , The Diver, Harragon, Simpson were complete shit.

Loudstrat

Coach

True. Johns had played 31 first grade games at the time, Toovey 132. No one is the best in their state after 31 games, especially if they debuted at 19.
Toovey and fittler were the experienced halves pairing of the time' So what? Bagging a bloke because he was picked for his state NOT in his best position to bag him if f*cking ridiculous - the bloke was obviously so talented that he was a better choice at hooker than all the regular hookers!
So why laugh? You say Noddy didnt deserve to be dropped, and Joey was returning from injury.

You ignore the fact that Chris Anderson was test coach, and had a love affair with noddy at the time. Opes publicly stated that Noddy would be test half, so Pearce decided to give Joey the nod at hooker. Joeys injury didnt help, but anyone who saw those games saw a phenomenal hooker who basically made Noddy obsolete. You would remember the scores of the 2001 series with Joey in the side, right? A 4 point thriller in Sydney without Joey, followed by a flogging at Lang Park WITH Joey, and the mother of all hidings back in Sydney that had everyone north of the Tweed proclaiming origin was dead.
Firstly, Langer and Joey shared one MOM each in that 2002 series. Joey also captained Australia to a record win against the Poms.

Yet you claim Smith's career has been better - against the worst NSW sides ever?

[/quote]Wally Lewis, Allan Langer, Peter Sterling, Brad Fittler, Brett Kenny, Laurie Daley, Darren Lockyer, all of these men and more were better, more consistent Origin players. Johns is arguably the best player of all time but his Origin career was less than what it should've been.[/QUOTE]
Well you can blame injuries and silly NSW selections for that. I think the only time NSW fans have been unanimously pleased with the selectors choices was the team selected for Game 2, 2005, when Johns put in the best game in Origin history.

You mention Freddy and Kenny - interesting that they had to make way for less versatile players in Walters/Daley and Lewis respectively. Kenny, like Johns, was indespensible, but had the talent to play in many positions at the elite level. Tell me about Cameron Smith's origon/test triumphs at halfback again?

:roll:

And in the first year of them being back in line and under the cap, legally, after losing blokes like Inglis and Lima, Smith captains Melbourne to their first premiership since 99.:lol: Good call.
Umm, you have Smith and Melbourne confused for Jamie Lyon and Manly. Unlike Smith, Joey has won 2 premierships and has a Clive Churchill medal. If Melbourne never cheated, they would have struggled to be top 4 in any of those seasons.
And I think you'd be very surprised to see how Cronk would go without Smith. He basically has the easiest job of any RL halfback because of the way Smith runs the side from acting half.
Did that. Flogged Cronulla in a preliminary final.

How does Smith go without Cronk? We saw that when Cronk is injured, and Bellamy panics and sends Smith to half. Smith is a good halfback playing hooker because he cant cut it at the top level in the 7. Joey made the 7 his own.

I havent seen Smith do anything amazing yet. He is consistent at a high level, but has nothing in the trick bag that Johns had. Nowhere near it.

As I keep saying, Johns made 5/8 obsolete. Smith only made fair play obsolete. And Farah sh*t on him in last years series.

EDIT - can someone tell me when Smith completely dominated Origin - with the best team assembled from BOTH states??????

Canard - I take it you think Hoffman, Johnstone, Inglis, King, Blair, Croker, White, Cronk, Folau, Manu and f*cking Slater are sh*t? :lol: You Queenslanders will stop at no level of moronity to bag anyone from NSW :lol:

Last edited:

typicalfan

Coach
at

Talking about historically and factually incorrect. The idea to play Toovey at 7 and Johns at 9 originated with Bob Fulton, not Phil Gould. Bob Fulton had an idea that Johns could make a very good 9. The Johns/Toovey combo worked that Johns would pack in the scrum and defend like a hooker but Toovey would play as dummy half and use his incisive runs, it worked so well Johns got MOTM and MOTS in the World Cup and then Gus used the combo again in 1996. They worked well as a combo Johns got MOTM in 1996 in origin 2 and Toovey as you said picked up the slack at both ends in 1997. You asking the question why Toovey was 7 is kind of irrelevant considering that fed off each other.

2000 was different Johns came back through injury but was a clear standout whenever he was on the field, he turned the tide in game 2 and instigated the slaughter in the 2nd half of game 3. 2002 was a drawn series and Johns was motm in the first, Langer was motm in the last.

Johns has 4 motm performances in origin and may not have dominated over the course of a series except for 2003, 2005 and 2000 from the bench the last two were only two games but only injury kept him out. but apart from Wally and maybe Alf and Loz no one has really.

Take the maroon coloured glasses off and be objective. Johns skill wise no one comes close. Wally was more inspirational and a better leader, Lockyer was more resilient, Toovey was tougher, Cam Smith is smarter but Johns has elements of each.

thorson1987

Coach
at

Talking about historically and factually incorrect. The idea to play Toovey at 7 and Johns at 9 originated with Bob Fulton, not Phil Gould. Bob Fulton had an idea that Johns could make a very good 9. The Johns/Toovey combo worked that Johns would pack in the scrum and defend like a hooker but Toovey would play as dummy half and use his incisive runs, it worked so well Johns got MOTM and MOTS in the World Cup and then Gus used the combo again in 1996. They worked well as a combo Johns got MOTM in 1996 in origin 2 and Toovey as you said picked up the slack at both ends in 1997. You asking the question why Toovey was 7 is kind of irrelevant considering that fed off each other.

2000 was different Johns came back through injury but was a clear standout whenever he was on the field, he turned the tide in game 2 and instigated the slaughter in the 2nd half of game 3. 2002 was a drawn series and Johns was motm in the first, Langer was motm in the last.

Johns has 4 motm performances in origin and may not have dominated over the course of a series except for 2003, 2005 and 2000 from the bench the last two were only two games but only injury kept him out. but apart from Wally and maybe Alf and Loz no one has really.

Take the maroon coloured glasses off and be objective. Johns skill wise no one comes close. Wally was more inspirational and a better leader, Lockyer was more resilient, Toovey was tougher, Cam Smith is smarter but Johns has elements of each.

That is pretty much spot on.

Maroon_Faithful

Juniors
True. Johns had played 31 first grade games at the time, Toovey 132. No one is the best in their state after 31 games, especially if they debuted at 19.
Toovey and fittler were the experienced halves pairing of the time' So what? Bagging a bloke because he was picked for his state NOT in his best position to bag him if f*cking ridiculous - the bloke was obviously so talented that he was a better choice at hooker than all the regular hookers!
I wasn't bagging him. I was showing that the notion that he was picked at hooker because he was so good is factually and historically untrue. He was picked at hooker because he wasn't good enough to play halfback over Toovey.

So why laugh? You say Noddy didnt deserve to be dropped, and Joey was returning from injury.

You ignore the fact that Chris Anderson was test coach, and had a love affair with noddy at the time. Opes publicly stated that Noddy would be test half, so Pearce decided to give Joey the nod at hooker. Joeys injury didnt help, but anyone who saw those games saw a phenomenal hooker who basically made Noddy obsolete.

You would remember the scores of the 2001 series with Joey in the side, right? A 4 point thriller in Sydney without Joey, followed by a flogging at Lang Park WITH Joey, and the mother of all hidings back in Sydney that had everyone north of the Tweed proclaiming origin was dead.
You could say the same thing about Tim Brasher who wasn't there in Game 1 but was there for Game 2 and 3 (who incidentally was MOTM in Game 2). Doesn't prove that his inclusion is the reason for the blowout scoreline. But yeah I'm sure Pearce decided not to drop the incumbent and successful halfback because the Test coach didn't want him to. Ridiculous. Johns was coming back from injury and Kimmorley was having a superb season.

Firstly, Langer and Joey shared one MOM each in that 2002 series.
Yes, I know. And Langer outplayed him in Game 2.

Joey also captained Australia to a record win against the Poms.
Okay. What does that have to do with his Origin career?

Yet you claim Smith's career has been better - against the worst NSW sides ever?
I didn't say anything of the sort. You just quoted me below. Does Cameron Smith's name appear there? No.

Well you can blame injuries and silly NSW selections for that. I think the only time NSW fans have been unanimously pleased with the selectors choices was the team selected for Game 2, 2005, when Johns put in the best game in Origin history.
Actually I can blame Johns himself for not producing the sort of form at Origin level that he did at club level. Pretty clear you're a bit of a Johns fanboy.

You mention Freddy and Kenny - interesting that they had to make way for less versatile players in Walters/Daley and Lewis respectively. Kenny, like Johns, was indespensible, but had the talent to play in many positions at the elite level. Tell me about Cameron Smith's origon/test triumphs at halfback again?
Again, you're attacking arguments I've never espoused.

Umm, you have Smith and Melbourne confused for Jamie Lyon and Manly. Unlike Smith, Joey has won 2 premierships and has a Clive Churchill medal. If Melbourne never cheated, they would have struggled to be top 4 in any of those seasons.
Technically Melbourne were still over the cap in 2011 but correction noted. Second season then. It's ridiculous to imply Smith couldn't be successful without cap cheating. 2012 showed that.

Incidentally, Johns won a premiership when only half the teams were in the ARL comp. Most notably the all-conquering Broncos side was absent.

Did that. Flogged Cronulla in a preliminary final.
And then got 40 put on them in a GF.

How does Smith go without Cronk? We saw that when Cronk is injured, and Bellamy panics and sends Smith to half. Smith is a good halfback playing hooker because he cant cut it at the top level in the 7. Joey made the 7 his own.
I don't dispute for a second that Johns was an infinitely better halfback than Smith. Just as I assert that Smith is an infinitely better acting half than what Johns was.

I havent seen Smith do anything amazing yet. He is consistent at a high level, but has nothing in the trick bag that Johns had. Nowhere near it.
Starting to think you don't actually watch Cameron Smith.

As I keep saying, Johns made 5/8 obsolete.
First time I've ever heard anybody say something so ridiculous but okay.

Smith only made fair play obsolete. And Farah sh*t on him in last years series.
Clearly you have a prejudice against Smith and a bias for Johns.

Last edited:

Raider_69

Post Whore
I am not voting here though I believe Cameron Smith will be the most decorated player to have player rugby league when he ends his career.

agreed
i vote johns right now but im not so sure that Cam Smith doesnt hang the boots up as the best player ive ever seen

Raider_69

Post Whore
I am a Johns fan though I don't believe this to be true.

If you want to see who "changed the game" at the halfback position look no further than Ricky Stuart when he came in to the league. Stuart was years ahead of any player playing when he came from rugby with a kicking and passing game second to no one. It was he, not John as some report, who made the "Banana Kick" common practice. Ask any Raiders fan. Stuart and Mullins were scoring tries of this kick whilst Johns was coming through the juniors.

Johns and others went on from where Stuart took the game. I remember Warren Ryan in the early 90's coming out stating "Stuart is the best player to have played the game!". The guy was an absolute superstar and would be even better in the modern game.

:)
I dont know if Stuart was a better footballer than Johns (defensively and versatility have a say) but ill be cold in the ground before anyone can convince me Johns was a better halfback than Ricky Stuart, who genuinely changed the way the position was played

Last edited:

thorson1987

Coach
I wasn't bagging him. I was showing that the notion that he was picked at hooker because he was so good is factually and historically untrue. He was picked at hooker because he wasn't good enough to play halfback over Toovey.

You could say the same thing about Tim Brasher who wasn't there in Game 1 but was there for Game 2 and 3 (who incidentally was MOTM in Game 2). Doesn't prove that his inclusion is the reason for the blowout scoreline. But yeah I'm sure Pearce decided not to drop the incumbent and successful halfback because the Test coach didn't want him to. Ridiculous. Johns was coming back from injury and Kimmorley was having a superb season.

Yes, I know. And Langer outplayed him in Game 2.

Okay. What does that have to do with his Origin career?

I didn't say anything of the sort. You just quoted me below. Does Cameron Smith's name appear there? No.

Actually I can blame Johns himself for not producing the sort of form at Origin level that he did at club level. Pretty clear you're a bit of a Johns fanboy.

Again, you're attacking arguments I've never espoused.

Technically Melbourne were still over the cap in 2011 but correction noted. Second season then. It's ridiculous to imply Smith couldn't be successful without cap cheating. 2012 showed that.

Incidentally, Johns won a premiership when only half the teams were in the ARL comp. Most notably the all-conquering Broncos side was absent.

And then got 40 put on them in a GF.

I don't dispute for a second that Johns was an infinitely better halfback than Smith. Just as I assert that Smith is an infinitely better acting half than what Johns was.

Starting to think you don't actually watch Cameron Smith.

First time I've ever heard anybody say something so ridiculous but okay.

Clearly you have a prejudice against Smith and a bias for Johns.

The same way you have prejudice against Johns and bias for Smith.

These thread always end up the same.

QLD fan - X QLD player was better the Y NSW player
NSW fan - Bullshit, Y NSW player shits all over X QLD player.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Another point i think needs to be made. For all of what Andrew Johns has achieved, he was not an origin legend. He has one steller dominate series, but mostly his origin career is a wash. Sterling, Mortimer, Kenny, Stuart, Daley... 5 blues halves off the top of my head who dominated Origin to a greater level than Johns. I didnt bother adding the Qlders who would surpass him, which would more than double that count.

Maroon_Faithful

Juniors
at

Talking about historically and factually incorrect. The idea to play Toovey at 7 and Johns at 9 originated with Bob Fulton, not Phil Gould.
I didn't say the idea originated with Gould. Please read what's written. I said the rhetoric about Johns being so good that he had to be there at hooker came from Gould. It is not a testament to Johns's ability in the way NSW fans are often fond of asserting. It's not as if Gould or Fulton thought Johns was the superior halfback but that he ought to shift because of a lack of quality hookers. They preferred Toovey at halfback.

Bob Fulton had an idea that Johns could make a very good 9. The Johns/Toovey combo worked that Johns would pack in the scrum and defend like a hooker but Toovey would play as dummy half and use his incisive runs, it worked so well Johns got MOTM and MOTS in the World Cup and then Gus used the combo again in 1996. They worked well as a combo Johns got MOTM in 1996 in origin 2 and Toovey as you said picked up the slack at both ends in 1997. You asking the question why Toovey was 7 is kind of irrelevant considering that fed off each other.
Whilst it is certainly true that they were interchangeable, Johns was clearly playing more hooker and Toovey more first receiver.

2000 was different Johns came back through injury but was a clear standout whenever he was on the field, he turned the tide in game 2 and instigated the slaughter in the 2nd half of game 3.
I'm didn't say otherwise.

2002 was a drawn series and Johns was motm in the first, Langer was motm in the last.
And Langer was the better player over the course of the series. Game 2 and 3 were his, not Johns'.

Watch Brett Kenny and Peter Sterling. They played against the greatest Origin sides ever assembled. The Lewis lead sides of the 80's. And they bested them with some of the best performances in sky blue. Most notably a MOTm effort from Sterling despite being in the losing side.

How about you read what's written. You can read yeah?

Maroon_Faithful

Juniors
The same way you have prejudice against Johns and bias for Smith.

These thread always end up the same.

QLD fan - X QLD player was better the Y NSW player
NSW fan - Bullshit, Y NSW player shits all over X QLD player.
I have a prejudice against Johns? :roll:I called him arguably the best of all time. Is anybody actually reading what I'm writing?

Big Pete

Referee
Bit of a tangent but for all the crap that's on the NRL forum I find it refreshing to see some genuine Rugby League discussion.

Especially enjoy seeing some of the relative new faces contribute. Please stick around @Mar and MF! We need more quality posters like you.

/suck up.

_Johnsy

Referee
Just watched an interesting show on the effects of Cocaine to the body, the increase in confidence and strength, aggression and state of alert.

I can not understand how some of you, think that's irrelevant.

Considering he didn't use cocaine I fail to see how your comments are relevant in any way shape of form.

He admitted to using ecstasy.

I have been watching the game since 1975 (4 years of age) Johns is the most complete & dominate player I have seen play the game. IMO Wally is the only one who comes close & Johns only just shades him. Goalkicking seperates them.

Johns just shades Wally & Smith is still rounding the 1st corner.

thorson1987

Coach
I have a prejudice against Johns? :roll:I called him arguably the best of all time. Is anybody actually reading what I'm writing?

My bad mate. I've just been skimming this thread.

Second point still stands though. QLD fans will say QLD player, NSW fan will say NSW player. (majority of the time)

@MarTiger

Juniors
Bit of a tangent but for all the crap that's on the NRL forum I find it refreshing to see some genuine Rugby League discussion.

Especially enjoy seeing some of the relative new faces contribute. Please stick around @Mar and MF! We need more quality posters like you.

/suck up.

Thanks Big Pete. I appreciate the welcome and I am definitely enjoying my time albeit still "settling in" on the forum. Many thanks to all for the welcome.

Latest posts