What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Campese is a f**ken cat!

Talanexor

Juniors
You could have Thurston in your team and it wouldn't do a lick of good if Furner still persists with the left- and right-side halves rubbish.

Sign someone who can organise and distribute the ball - hell they don't even need to be able to kick! It's plain that the player you need isn't at the club, at SL or in the u20s. Time to look elsewhere.

Forward pack and back line are great though.

Paullyboy

Coach
We've scored 26 points in the past three weeks and that is a disgrace. Campese has been ordinary for a year and a half now and we are no different to any other teams fans when it comes to bagging the players. All teams do it and we are definitely not the worst so we now have something to aspire to.

I know all teams do it, doesn't mean we want to do it as well - it's hardly a noble quality to possess (i.e. laying the slipper into anyone at any chance). It'd be terrible if we got to the point that the Tigers are at where they openly boo one of their own players (Fitzhenry).

I used to be as bad as anyone when it came to watching Raiders games - maybe I've matured, maybe I've just come to accept mediocrity, but more than likely I've learnt that it's just not enjoyable watching football games with that sort of anger. Personal opinion - try to enjoy footy for what it is, entertainment.

I know all teams do it, doesn't mean we want to do it as well - it's hardly a noble quality to possess (i.e. laying the slipper into anyone at any chance). It'd be terrible if we got to the point that the Tigers are at where they openly boo one of their own players (Fitzhenry).

I used to be as bad as anyone when it came to watching Raiders games - maybe I've matured, maybe I've just come to accept mediocrity, but more than likely I've learnt that it's just not enjoyable watching football games with that sort of anger. Personal opinion - try to enjoy footy for what it is, entertainment.

I used to have the sh*ts bad for a week. Im pretty much over it with an hour or so after the game now, even then I dont reach the level of anger I used to. Doesnt mean Im happy with whats happening and i cant enjoy the game if we are playing like we are, I see no fun in that.

Something needs to change and now, whats it is and who has that answer I dont know but we can not continue down this unpleasant path.

Timbo

Staff member
To be fair, the bloke has no help out there and the coach is totally clueless.

But yeah. He's playing terrible footy at the moment.

legend

Coach
Did anyone see the post match interview with Furner? He was disgraceful in his laid back assessment of the loss. Complete tosser!

Did anyone see the post match interview with Furner? He was disgraceful in his laid back assessment of the loss. Complete tosser!

I did and I wouldnt of said he was laid back. he had the sh*ts.
He took the blame by saying that some players didnt train all week and it was a lesson learnt. Which i believe it was a lesson we learnt before the Warriors game but he fkd up again.

With furner he doesnt openly critise the team. I dare say he would of smashed them in the sheds and training this week.

Also , what is our coaching structure. Do we have an attacking coach and please dont say McFadden.

Im not going to defend DF anymore , he has had ample time now to turn the team around , the team does not seem to be going forward , there is no improvement.

change is needed.

Timbo

Staff member
That press conference was a joke.

We didn't lose because Dugan didn't train. We lost because we're poorly coached, poorly managed and only recruit nuffies like Danny Galea whilst extending contracts for the likes of
McCrone.

schnitzel

Juniors
Most decent teams with a chance of a premiership have a good spine 1, 7, 6 and 9. If we analyse ours:

1. Dugan - potential superstar, no changes needed (TICK)

7. McCrone/Herbert/Picker - none have shown the potential to be a long term firstgrader, although young Sam Williams could be special. Must look outside the club for the short term (FAIL)

6. Campo - I think the addition of an organising half would see him free to run, kick and pass selectively and be top shelf and he is signed long term (PASS MARK)

9. Buttriss/Waddell - neither are the answer. IMO hooker is the most important position in league these days to play field position, and we have the cattle in the forwards to be dominant with a clever no. 9 to guide them (FAIL)

Plazzy

Juniors
Guys...seems like we are not going to make the semis. How the hell did we play with the Dragons and then fail to win the Cowboys and the Dogs.? Something drastic needs to be done immediately..

Paullyboy

Coach
I completely disagree with the sentiments regarding Buttriss. I think he's a very good player and if given a long-term shot at making the hooking role his own will become a gun.

Our forwards were great last night, and a major part of that is from the service Buttriss provides. Additionally he does a hell of a lot of work in defence. It's not the role of the hooker to get the backs firing, that's the job of a half or 5/8.

Cryptic

Juniors
I was originally one to lay into Buttriss but he has improved dramatically this year, and even from game to game this year... A month ago he couldn't play 80 minutes with-out his service from dummy half starting to look like the 6pm dinner special at an RSL, but now he doesn't drop much from the 1st to the 79th minute...

Campese though... Only time he has looked GOOD this year is:

1) - Defence
2) - RUNNING THE f**kING BALL
3) - Being SECOND receiver
4) - Nice cut out passes
5) - His long range kicks, although they aren't what they use to be minus that first drop out last night
6) - His goal kicking wasn't bad either, but now he isn't doing it

Raider_69

Post Whore
Campese has been hopeless the past month, tbh thats the 3rd game in a row he's played a major role in us losing due to poor options being taken by him and squandering chance after chance

that being said you wont see a better pass all year then the one he threw for Monaghan for the Raiders opening try. That was pure class.
He's still got it there to make those plays but at the moment, he's in horrible form

Sleep

Juniors
It doesn't help your useless coach has him playing one side of the field only. Mogg is just terrible. Campese shouldn't be limited to the left side of the field as he was Monday night.

Get him going right where he has options in Harrison and Thompson. Mogg was useless and how many times did you see late in the tackle count where they'd gone right the pass find a backrower or prop because Mogg was MIA.

If Campese has been handcuffed to the left that falls on the coach. I remember Henry doing the same thing at the Cowboys. Just screams "I have no idea what I'm doing" to me.

Herbert is still the best option I've seen you have at half. Why he got dropped beats me. He deserves another shot after the garbage served up by your several other 7's this year.

julian87

Juniors
Anyone blaming Campese at all simply doesn't understand rugby league in the slightest. The bloke is a running five-eighth or lock thrust into the halfback role because the coach is a f**king moron. I said at the start Furner was a mistake. I said he'd toughen the forwards up and be utterly clueless everywhere else. That's exactly what happened.

Monday Night was the most disgracefully coached rugby league side I have seen take the field at a professional level. There is no structure whatsover. Buttriss and Campese are forced to try and organise yet one is a five-eighth and one an ex backrower. There is no decoy play at all unless Joe Picker plays yet he gets dropped if he knocks a ball on once.

I was supportive of Mogg, and still am to an extent, but we could play Lockyer/Thurston in his spot and it wouldn't make a difference with Furner head coach. It is a disgusting position that the club is in right now due to the Furners and nothing will even start to improve until they are both gone.

And to top it all off, during a season where we haven't lost a forward battle besides when TLL and Shillo are on origin duty, the Furners have come out and said we'll be targetting Brett White. We've got one of the best five-eighths in the game being completely wasted because he's partnered with one of any of the reserve grade five-eighths masquerading as NRL halfbacks. We've got a forward pack that continually makes more metres than they even need to, but can't run a decoy (or play in their best position...TLL/Miller etc etc) or create a try scoring scenario besides when Harrison actually gives a good offload every 10th time he tries. So we want to sign Brett White. Never mind the fact that Scott Dureau, Brett Finch and Brett Kimmorley are looking for a new home.

Who needs an actual halfback anyway? We've got Campese.

/rant

typicalfan

Coach
No Dureau, he is worse than McCrone.

The answer to me would be Cronk or Dobson. Cronk would be the target if Dugan somehow was lost to the Roosters his money could be used for a halfback otherwise I think someone like Dobson would be perfect and cheap.

Talanexor

Juniors
Cronk would be a great pickup, but I just can't see it happening. Maybe you need to get Shillington to slip him a few paper bags during Origin camp.

Cherry-Evans from Sunshine Coast would probably go alright for your club. He was pretty good in the QLD Cup City/Country. I think Manly will do everything they can to hold onto him, but you never know.

Kimmorley would be a big step in the wrong direction. He's old and has as much creativity as Dane Tilse. His only real asset is his kick chase - but even that isn't signifcantly better than Campese's.

Spot On

Coach
Anyone blaming Campese at all simply doesn't understand rugby league in the slightest. The bloke is a running five-eighth or lock thrust into the halfback role because the coach is a f**king moron. I said at the start Furner was a mistake. I said he'd toughen the forwards up and be utterly clueless everywhere else. That's exactly what happened.

Monday Night was the most disgracefully coached rugby league side I have seen take the field at a professional level. There is no structure whatsover. Buttriss and Campese are forced to try and organise yet one is a five-eighth and one an ex backrower. There is no decoy play at all unless Joe Picker plays yet he gets dropped if he knocks a ball on once.

I was supportive of Mogg, and still am to an extent, but we could play Lockyer/Thurston in his spot and it wouldn't make a difference with Furner head coach. It is a disgusting position that the club is in right now due to the Furners and nothing will even start to improve until they are both gone.

And to top it all off, during a season where we haven't lost a forward battle besides when TLL and Shillo are on origin duty, the Furners have come out and said we'll be targetting Brett White. We've got one of the best five-eighths in the game being completely wasted because he's partnered with one of any of the reserve grade five-eighths masquerading as NRL halfbacks. We've got a forward pack that continually makes more metres than they even need to, but can't run a decoy (or play in their best position...TLL/Miller etc etc) or create a try scoring scenario besides when Harrison actually gives a good offload every 10th time he tries. So we want to sign Brett White. Never mind the fact that Scott Dureau, Brett Finch and Brett Kimmorley are looking for a new home.

Who needs an actual halfback anyway? We've got Campese.

/rant

You seem to know your team very well, but obviously have not watched the influence Scott Dureau has had on a lot of Knights matches this year. The other two halfbacks you mentioned would serve any club much better.

Finch , Cronk would benefit Campo.

As has been said its our structure thats killing us. Although Mogg did seem to play left and right side I cant recall seeing Campo switching sides.
Campo needs to be the running 5/8.

we lack creativity , we have no idea what to do in the opposition 20m. We lived in there Monday night and came up with squat.

the Forwards did a fantastic job, I hope they kick the ass of the backs during this week.