What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can a player who slips out of the NRL come back?

Ojlovednicole

Juniors
I am curious whether a player who slips out if the NrL system can realistically fight himself back in?
And for that matter, an older player who was never in the system but starts ripping up the park scene?

I'm not talking out players who left to play in England or union, but a player who may have played under 20s, got cut then went to Ron Massey , bulked up, took supplements or simply matured and 'fought' his way back?

It would happen in the 90s, but now ?

Matt utai could be considered one such, although from memory it was well documented he fell away partly for head issues. I also recall a player who played prop for parra one game in 2011 or 12 plucked from obscurity as there was a forward crisis, but that was the extent of his comeback

Once you get the chop, are you done?
Could this be part of the reason young islanders are suiciding in the system ?

Discuss.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
A few players have cracked first grade in their early to mid 20s after being park footballers. Suiaia Matagi debuted for the Warriors at 25 after taking up footy in prison on a serious assault conviction.

Last edited:

dragonzero

Juniors
Rory O'Brian and Jack Bosden for the Dragons come to mind.

Both were promising in the under 20s, were lost to the game and then came back through NSW cup then NRL, although only for a handful of games...

elyod138

Bench
Jake Granville played U20's with the Broncos, he has cemented a first grade spot this year at age 26. He Spent 3 years with Wynnum between his Broncos deals.

argy-bargy

Juniors
Matt King played for Nth Sydney Bears and Melbourne feeder clubs before being called up for his NRL debut at 23. He was a freaking gun player as well

Ojlovednicole

Juniors
Rory O'Brian and Jack Bosden for the Dragons come to mind.

Both were promising in the under 20s, were lost to the game and then came back through NSW cup then NRL, although only for a handful of games...

Thanks for answering however they were still in the system via NSW cup, so alot of players would be in that boat.

Ojlovednicole

Juniors
Matt King played for Nth Sydney Bears and Melbourne feeder clubs before being called up for his NRL debut at 23. He was a freaking gun player as well

That just means he was a late bloomer.

Im talking about players in the u/20,NSW,NRL Who were there, got cut from lower levels. Played park/ron massey and somehow re - entered the system.

flash

Juniors
I can remember the Sticky enforced Park footy stints.

Cuthbertson
Manly > Cronulla > Como Crocodiles > St George > Newcastle > Leeds

Seymour
Brisbane > Cronulla > Engadine > Warriors > Hull etc.

Hannay made it to ESL but not back to the NRL.

Ojlovednicole

Juniors
Appears to be the case MrAnonymous,

However i think its a problem.

Some players mature later.
For example, i used to be a bad cricket player now i average 12 with the ball.

I'm not suggesting the clubs should keep flogging dead horses till they come to life,
However, we should be having our eye on the Ron massey cup and the strong regional teams.

If players have done the self development outside the system they should be looked at. Every year there are teams in an injury crisis. I feel the talent is probably there.

For example, word on the street is Masada Iosefa is doing the hard yards again after being disinterested last few years.

If he backs this up with ggreat performances for burwood, and a team needs a hooker, he should get a second chance.

Bulldog Force

Referee
I am curious whether a player who slips out if the NrL system can realistically fight himself back in?
And for that matter, an older player who was never in the system but starts ripping up the park scene?

I'm not talking out players who left to play in England or union, but a player who may have played under 20s, got cut then went to Ron Massey , bulked up, took supplements or simply matured and 'fought' his way back?

It would happen in the 90s, but now ?

Matt utai could be considered one such, although from memory it was well documented he fell away partly for head issues. I also recall a player who played prop for parra one game in 2011 or 12 plucked from obscurity as there was a forward crisis, but that was the extent of his comeback

Once you get the chop, are you done?
Could this be part of the reason young islanders are suiciding in the system ?

Discuss.

You mean can something that's happened heaps of times already happen again? No.