What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can ESL clubs outbid the English Rugby clubs?

Sun_Down

Juniors
Just wondering who is financually superior?

And why dont ESL clubs ever poach Union players from OZ? Not like the dont have the money...

First of all, the League clubs cant outbid the Enlish union teams.

English league has been terribly run from the moment it was started in the late 1800's. Because of this the game hardly expanded from Huddersfield where it was originally started.

English union on the other hand managed to spread throughout the UK. League people point to a number of reasons...but the main one was effort put in by union.

Now, union clubs....infact union at every level in the UK is so massive, they are beggining to look at English League as a feeder system.

As for SL clubs buying Australia union players.....ah....why? They are so busy buting any Aussie or Kiwi stiff from league.....why would they look at even worse union players?

bartman

Immortal
English Super League has a kind of salary cap limit. I don't think Union has any? But I could be wrong on that...

Maybe it depends where about you live in England, but Union isn't massive by any means in the north compared to league, even though Leeds won some Union trophy the other week. But in other parts of England and in London it gets more coverage for sure.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
The Union league in England has a cap of £1.9m compared to the £1.8m in League.

The RFU will also subsidise signings from Rugby League, like with Farrell moving to Saracens. The RFU pay Wigan to buy out his contract and contribute to his wages.

The simple answer is no.

But ignore everything nospam49 wrote. Union and League have ALWAYS been divided in England by the class issue. The original split occurred because a lot of the Northerners had to work down the mines and in manual labour jobs. They simply couldn't afford to give up any time to commit to playing Rugby. The solution, and a sensible one, was for them to receive payments from the gate receipts to compensate them for the loss of income.

The rather more posh Southern players who could afford to either not work at all or work around rugby thought it to be awfully bad form to be paid money, preferring amateur status.

This split in social classes carved the futures of both codes. Union, the sport of the gentlemen gained by default more coverage and importance in many aspects of life, such as Government help, media coverage etc. Even to this day the demographics are clear. The well off tend to follow Union and the working class in Northern areas are the ones following league.

Evil Homer

Staff member
nospam49 said:

English league has been terribly run from the moment it was started in the late 1800's. Because of this the game hardly expanded from Huddersfield where it was originally started.

English union on the other hand managed to spread throughout the UK. League people point to a number of reasons...but the main one was effort put in by union.

Now, union clubs....infact union at every level in the UK is so massive, they are beggining to look at English League as a feeder system.

As for SL clubs buying Australia union players.....ah....why? They are so busy buting any Aussie or Kiwi stiff from league.....why would they look at even worse union players?

nospam49 is getting worse.Nobody pay attention to this.

bartman

Immortal
Good stuff Fairleigh, a source of accurate info and knowledge as always.

In Australia or at least Sydney where I grew up the class divide between Union and League has also been obvious there, but has become blurred over time and as Sydney became less divided along class lines. Being from the working class western suburbs, I used to appreciate supporting the working class game!

It's now harder to spot the class basis in Sydney's support, as club rugby union in Sydney is (basically) dead, but larger crowds turn out to Super 12 Union matches which all are essentially all rep matches between regions in 3 countries. And with league (and union) players earning full time wages higher than the average of the working class supporters it's easy to forget the history.

terracesider

Juniors
There'e not much doubt that although some individual clubs seem to be strugggling, the English RFU itself is much wealthier than the RFL, not least through the revenue streams from Twickenham.

Over the years, they have also been much better at extracting money from central government than we have, although under Richard Lewis the RFL is beginning to improve.

SalfordRedsWA

Juniors
nospam49 said:

So i take it is only a dream then that the game is actually played in Australia when you say its hardly expanded beyond Huddersfield? DERRRR!!!!!!!! :roll:

Salfordcityred said:
nospam49 said:

So i take it is only a dream then that the game is actually played in Australia when you say its hardly expanded beyond Huddersfield? DERRRR!!!!!!!! :roll:

Do you read....or did I just imagine the part where I was talking about ENGLISH Rugby League?

You Fidiot!

As for all these people that are bagging me...fact is that Im right. The games has been run terribly in the UK and it never spread its wings and then managed to blame everyone else for it 100 years later.

upbonk

nospam49™ said:
Do you read....or did I just imagine the part where I was talking about ENGLISH Rugby League?

You Fidiot!

As for all these people that are bagging me...fact is that Im right. The games has been run terribly in the UK and it never spread its wings and then managed to blame everyone else for it 100 years later.

Just give it up, or the great white carp is first - I promise.

In-goal

Bench

If i could punch you for your ignorance i wouldn't have hands left as the continous beating you would cop would eventualy send my hands gangress

In-goal said:

If i could punch you for your ignorance i wouldn't have hands left as the continous beating you would cop would eventualy send my hands gangress

Yeah...and I wouldnt even cop a bruise from a Puss like yourself! :lol:

nathanwood7

Juniors
Its pretty offensive for an Australian with obviously little knowledge of english rugby league to trivialise the problems we face in this country as being down to poor management (for over 100 years!). Unfortunatley the monopoly of media and government by rugby union types has greatly restricted the spread of rugby league, as an example, it was banned from being played in the armed forces until the end of the 20th century, and universities prevented, discouraged and often punished those who played it as students (indeed the first oxford uni team in the 70s had to use false names to avoid being disciplined!)

The lack of educated rugby league people had obvious implications as influential positions in society were rarely connected to rugby league from MPs to potential sponsors. As these barriers have been recently broken down it is no coincidence that the game over here is experiencing its biggest ever expansion with the summer conference and London League's especially showing massive development outside traditional areas. As a university student myself, it is really good to know that a generation of educated league enthusiasts are being produced through the education system.

Union profits massively from international games at Twickenham and the corporate side of this in particular, as the games bring in businessmen looking for a good social occasion at the weekend. Club rugby union is on the crest of a wave following the "world" cup win and has reached comparible levels with League in terms of attendances, however it is far from being a nationally popular game as has been suggested. Union clubs in the North such as Sale, Leeds, Orrel and Jonny Wilkinson's Newcastle all suffer from the fact nobody in the local community cares about them.

Twickenham is able to subsidise big league signings such as Farrell and Henry Paul and Robinson and does so to make up for the deficit in Union talent, and this means that ultimatley Union can offer more than League for the very best players. Union players are not as highly sought after by League clubs as they are not needed, so the opposite is not really an issue. The continued expansion of Super League will eventually see League reverse the roles in my opinion, but the international game is crucial to public perception (as guys like Wayne Bennet have realised) and so the Aussies have a part to play too!!

See....people like him try to dance aroiund and make excuses.

The fact is the game in the UK is terrible run and has been basically since the day it started.

They didnt expand......and now its biting them in the backside.

They cant compete with union clubs....if a union club want a League player, they get them.

bartman

Immortal
A well reasoned and balanced post NatWood. Not excuses so much as identifying reasons, and where you can identify reasons there stands a chance that something can then be done to move forward and change these things.

That approach is more likely to create lasting change over time than making generalised complaints...

In-goal

Bench
nospam49 you realy are the dumbest or most special person i have had anything to do with you are in imbalanced moron.

Jackal Dog

Juniors
Good post Nathanwood, one thing I find particularly pathetic is that English Rugby Union claim to have over 1 million registered players yet they resort to poaching an old washed up League player like Farrell and there most consistuent player in their recent poor showings has been a ex-leaguie Jason Robinson, I have serious questions about the English Rugby Union's depth.

Latest posts