What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can Lebanon make the WC?

TinghaExpress

Juniors
I read in the Sun-herald today that this new rule that requires the international team to play at least 6 players from their local comp has ruled Lebanon out of the 2008 WC. Is this true? I thought the Lebanon national team had locals from their national comp in the team?

dimitri

First Grade
TinghaExpress said:
I read in the Sun-herald today that this new rule that requires the international team to play at least 6 players from their local comp has ruled Lebanon out of the 2008 WC. Is this true? I thought the Lebanon national team had locals from their national comp in the team?

lebanon has a domestic comp - do the 6 players have to be in the team or just the squad?

even if its the team - 4 bench players + 2 best locals in the run on side would still be ok!

ali

Bench
TinghaExpress said:

Which idiot wrote that? Lebanon have been playing roughly that amount of players in their squads for the last couple of years.

TinghaExpress

Juniors
I cant remember who wrote it sorry. It was about 4-5 pages in from the back of the sun-herald. Next to the Lance Thompson picture

Ari Gold

Bench
ali said:
Which idiot wrote that? Lebanon have been playing roughly that amount of players in their squads for the last couple of years.

I think Tingha Express misread the article... the article was saying that the domestic rule would prevent the debarcle that lebanon created at the 2000 WC.
It didn't say that this rule would prevent Lebanon from getting into the WC, it said that Lebanon will not be able to do what it did last time.

joshreading

Staff member
If Lebanon were to make the RLWC I am sure that El Masri would play, lets be honest having Lebanon play in Sydney would gaurantee some crowds

hutch

First Grade
ozzy_ozman said:
what did lerbanon do in the last world cup that created so mucgh controversy?

the team was full of australians, rugby league had never actually been played in lebanon.

ironically, all this controversy actually kickstarted the game in lebanon and the game has gone from strength to strength over there, so it wasnt all doom and gloom.

but i wouldnt like to see this again at the next world cup with another country, and these new rules will stop it from happening again.

bender

Juniors
I think that Lebanon, at full strength, are still stronger than France. It wouldnt surprise me at all if they made the world cup (How big are squads for qualifiers?) but injuries will decide how far they make it in the world cup finals. a semi final appearance is not beyond the realms of possibility.

raidz3r

Juniors
joshreading said:
If Lebanon were to make the RLWC I am sure that El Masri would play, lets be honest having Lebanon play in Sydney would gaurantee some crowds

f**k oath they will :D

it'll be a shame if they don't make it

carlnz

Bench
Lebanon should and would make it, when they play Sebria and Morocco they could play half their team from the domestic comp then have a team all but one or two from Australia and still be compeititve...

How many of the players that played in the 2000 World Cup are still around??