What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can the 355 first grade games be broken by a current player?

Joely01

Bench
Me and a mate have been talking at work today about the current crop of players and who we think can possibly reach the 355 (Lockyer's club games record) mark in their career.
A couple we have thought about are:
Darius Boyd, aged 26, played 190 (could well play another 6-7 years)
Cameron Smith, aged 30, played 261 (could well play another 3-4 years)

There are obviously plenty of players out there who have started at a young age, and obviously injuries and playing finals footy will impact the figure. But interested to see if who can close in on the mark from the current players.

Last edited:

POPEYE

Coach
By FG you mean all rep games I suppose, Smith will Captain enough of everything to possibly hang around . . . Captains get preferred treatment

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
No, he's referring to Lockyer's record for most club games in the domestic comp only.

Joely01

Bench
Yeah, sorry spent too much time at computer today. I mean the Lockyer club games record.

hitman82

Bench
A couple of Warriors have big numbers for their age:

Simon Mannering - recently turned 27 - 188 games
Ben Matulino - Turned 25 this month - 132 games

Both very durable and also rep players. I expect long careers from both.

_snafu_

Immortal
Menzies must be close, but would have more than that if you count his stint in England.

chrisD

Coach
Pearce, 24, 156
Mullen, 26, 171

Both in positions perhaps more suitable to go deeper into their thirties than those listed.

Joely01

Bench
Smith might still make it but if he does not including rep games will make it a herculean effort

A lot will depend on if the Storm can continue there finals run every year.
If Smith can play for four more year and average 26 games a year (lets say 24 season games and 2 finals games a year) he will get to 365.

Jarryd Hayne (yes injury prone lately) is 25 years old and has played 155 games.

user_nat

Coach
Darius Boyd, aged 26, played 190 (could well play another 6-7 years)
Cameron Smith, aged 30, played 261 (could well play another 3-4 years)

For reference Lockyer was also 261 games at 30 (start of 07). So I can definitely see Smith catching that.

Boyd's also ahead for his age, but I'm not sure if fullbacks like Boyd are very likely to get far into their 30s without switching positions.

Even if he played just one more season in the NRL he hits 370.
Lockyer could probably have gone around again also, as well as a bunch of others (Fittler for example).