What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can The NRL Step In?

antonius

Coach
If the Knights were a local council, they would have an administrator in place now and the board would be looking for other board positions. No local goverment body would survive the disasters of this board. Can the NRL take over the running of the club? They have a vested interest in it, and it's in their best interest in having a viable team in Newcastle. Is it possible?

Stranger

Coach
Can we ask cause the club has no balls? (not footballs... though with the money issues prob none of them either)

Jobdog

Live Update Team
:lol: @ stranger's comment. I hav thought this all along and I still do, even tho we r in dire straits, I honestly do not think the NRL will let Newcastle go under.

The Irony of it is , the people who are saving the boards arse is us "little people" who turn out to watch the games. While we draw 22,000 a home game this board is safe.
If the crowds drop by 10,000 then the NRL would be getting very worried , and Conway will run out of the joint quick fast, before the nrl push the lot out.

Stranger

Coach
Exactly right. If souths were in this situation without souths juniors... they would be f**ked!

lucky7

Juniors
I think the fact that Newcastle is such a heartland for league and the locals love their league and as shown will still turn out to support them will mean that the NRL will wherever possible help us stay afloat apart from the fact that no rugby league team in Newie would risk lowering the high junior rate from the area and the fact that they have just rejected a team on the central coast is also a big indicator.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Exactly what I said earlier lucky. The NRL, in my view, will not let the Knights go under. The Knights mean too much to the NRL. This doesn't mean to say that we will just stick our heads in the foetal position and forget bout whats going on now.

macavity

Referee
Jobdog said:
The NRL, in my view, will not let the Knights go under.

yes, they will. they will then ask for the highest bidder on the license. Similar to what happened with the Warriors.

Almost gauranteed way for 6 games a year to be transferred to Gosford - Singo is bound to be one of the highest bidders; Con will have a go too. Wests might try to step in.... but just remember, if we are on our hands and knees we can hardly dictate terms. It will be solely up to the bidders what form the team takes - and it may not be the one best for RL in Newcastle.

As long as there is some RL presence in Newcastle the NRL wont care about the particulars.

We need to control our own destiny. That ability is fast slipping through our fingers... and we all know why.

The Knights mean too much to the NRL.

They will be around in some form. But not necc as we know them now.

Alex28

Coach
Funnily enough, Channel Ten News suggested that the Finance Manager of the NRL is coming to the game on the weekend...

Misanthrope

Staff member
Funnily enough, Channel Ten News suggested that the Finance Manager of the NRL is coming to the game on the weekend...

Sounds good. Maybe he can clean things up a little.

chriswalkerbush said:
Sounds good. Maybe he can clean things up a little.

Ed Farish NRL Finance Manager I think is a Parramatta fan. He comes to at least one game a year so nothing to do with being a saviour.

annav

Juniors
why should the NRL help? There is no excuse for the predicament that the club is in. I know the Chief is a loyal and good bloke, but really football manager? what next?

ArturiusX

Juniors
There's no way the Knights will move any home games to Gosford. That position is for teams in Sydney struggling to make 15000 to a home game; Souths, bulldogs, and west tigers spring to mind.

Singo won't buy the Knights, and if he doesn't, the NRL or whoever would stipulate all games are to be played at marathon.

UPTHEGUTSBUTTS said:
The Irony of it is , the people who are saving the boards arse is us "little people" who turn out to watch the games. While we draw 22,000 a home game this board is safe.
If the crowds drop by 10,000 then the NRL would be getting very worried , and Conway will run out of the joint quick fast, before the nrl push the lot out.

So your saying that we can be $10,000,000 in debt and getting good crowds and the NRL wont step in.

Yeah good one.

ArturiusX said:
There's no way the Knights will move any home games to Gosford. That position is for teams in Sydney struggling to make 15000 to a home game; Souths, bulldogs, and west tigers spring to mind.

Singo won't buy the Knights, and if he doesn't, the NRL or whoever would stipulate all games are to be played at marathon.

Mate if it went privatisation and someone wants to move games they will be, the NRL wont have a choice in it.

Read conways press conference mate .. "we continue to outdraw all other teams"... its the spin that he and the board will hang his hat on till we win a game, obtain a loan to pay our players then go on the bare necessities for next year.

Any fan with half a brain will not be appeased even if we win 7-8 games this year, they will be held accountable over the next 12 -18 months by the NRL if our situation doesnt vastly improve.

And crowds will drop eventually if we dont start looking competitive.

Latest posts