What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canavan sets the record straight

Roosterphin

Juniors
Its because of idiots like those on here that we have to continually explain ourselves. For those of you who are a little slow....

Roosters deny cap manipulation
By Dean Ritchie and Jason Avedissian
July 12, 2004

ANGRY Roosters CEO Brian Canavan last night shot down claims his club was manipulating the NRL salary cap after they beat Manly and Canberra to the signature of Joel Monaghan.

News of the latest Roosters signing - in a three-year deal worth about $220,000 a season - overshadowed reports that Brisbane skipper Gorden Tallis is set to retire at the end of the season.

Talk-back radio callers yesterday questioned how the Roosters had managed to sign Monaghan, Brett Firman and Amos Roberts, as well as retaining their star players, and remain under the $3.25million cap.

But Canavan last night said the Roosters had lost five players for next season - Brad Fittler, Peter Cusack, Justin Hodges, Shannon Hegarty and Chad Robinson - to enable them to sign Monaghan, Firman and Roberts.

Luke Ricketson has also taken a significant pay cut, freeing up about $1.25million from the cap for the club to enter the open market.

"We've lost five players and recruited three," Canavan said.

"And don't forget Luke Ricketson has taken a pay cut. We get fed up with the innuendo but you've only got to look at the figures to see how we do it, it's simple mathematics."

Roosters coach Ricky Stuart said players were attracted to his club because of their outstanding success in recent seasons.

"Of all the offers for Joel, we were the lowest - it wasn't a money thing with Joel," Stuart said.

"He is looking to play with a good club with a view to being a representative player.

"We've had five players either released, retired or move on."

NRL chief executive David Gallop had no concerns over the salary cap following Monaghan's decision to join the Roosters.

"I am sure Ian Schubert [NRL salary cap commissioner] will monitor the salary cap at the Roosters as he does with all clubs."

Manly executive director Paul Cummings said his club may look for an outside back in England following Monaghan's move to the Roosters and Tahu's decision to join Parramatta.

"It was Joel's decision, he obviously felt he had a better opportunity at the Roosters," Cummings said.

legend

Coach
I see Canavan fails to mention the upgrades to existing contracts for those players who are staying.

That alone can be over 100k per player.

Just because they say it is so, doesn't mean it is.

rooster69

Juniors
taxidriver said:
stupid post.

you were expecting him to say something else ????

Dont worry to make everyone happy you included , he is going to advise the Roosters operating under a USD 3.25 million dollar salary cap.......That should end all the speculation with the Roosters , and now everyone can move onto the Eels...........who will announce similar flexibility under the current cap.........

ps...Of course you can now start putting money down now on the Roosters taking the wooden spoon again...

Southernsaint

Staff member
LOL, if Brian says so it must be true :roll:

It must feel good to support a team of players so dedicated to the code that they've taken on the Amateur ethos of playing for the love of the game...

Cheers,
Ben S.

Nuffy

Bench
My only comment is that Canavan also came out in the papers in may to say that the Roosters had very little money to spend from Fittlers contract and others because much of the money had been allocated in contract upgrades to players already at the club.

Therefore it is incredible to believe that he is now saying that the reason they can sign blokes is because Fittler is leaving?

I will say that the Roosters are very lucky to be able to assemble such an array of talent, and they seem to be under the salary cap as the NRL hasn't caught them

Time will tell

supermario

Juniors
Nuffy said:
My only comment is that Canavan also came out in the papers in may to say that the Roosters had very little money to spend from Fittlers contract and others because much of the money had been allocated in contract upgrades to players already at the club.

Therefore it is incredible to believe that he is now saying that the reason they can sign blokes is because Fittler is leaving?

I will say that the Roosters are very lucky to be able to assemble such an array of talent, and they seem to be under the salary cap as the NRL hasn't caught them

Time will tell

Well nuffy, since that announcement in may:

Fittler has retired
Cusack has signed with souths
as with heggarty
Hodges is leaving for brisbane
and robinson is going to parra

AND FROM THAT

we have only signed

Firman
Roberts
and monaghan

Now all of you, think logically if you can.

If the roosters had just enough money before fittler retired to increase players contracts, don't you think that with 5 players, including fittler, leaving there would be enough to buy 3 players ?

Roosterphin

Juniors
supermario said:
Nuffy said:

Time will tell

Well nuffy, since that announcement in may:

Fittler has retired
Cusack has signed with souths
as with heggarty
Hodges is leaving for brisbane
and robinson is going to parra

AND FROM THAT

we have only signed

Firman
Roberts
and monaghan

Now all of you, think logically if you can.

If the roosters had just enough money before fittler retired to increase players contracts, don't you think that with 5 players, including fittler, leaving there would be enough to buy 3 players ?

Mario it is even too complex for these morons to understand.

As to you Southern Saint, Monaghan and his manager have stated he could have got more elsewhere...are they liars??

Earl

Coach
What the hell do you expect the CEO of the club to come out and say?

"We are Rorting the salary cap"

Of course hes going to defend his actions. Worthless thread.

supermario

Juniors
buit see earl, there are a few facts that even blind freddy can see,

one main one being that we lose 5 players and only sign 3.

So you telling me we are rorting the cap when we buy less than we let go ?????

ngap

Juniors
All you experts what do you want the league to do to enforce the cap? Have PI follow players and wives looking for brown bags? They are doing all they legally can.

Rather than whinging suggest an effective LEGAL system

ngap

Juniors
Six degrees of seperation.
Whoever they choose someone will be able to show a relationship to a club indirectly. No-one makes the comment that Schue favours West-Tigers or Manly who he played for or Super League teams who he went to.

Roosterphin

Juniors
taxidriver said:
Appointing a truly independant auditor would be a nice place to start.

He is independent?? I think if you want to start insinuating he does his job in an illegal manner then you should be very careful.

Besides he also played for Wests and Manly you know????????

taxidriver

Coach
"Whoever they choose someone will be able to show a relationship to a club indirectly"

as oppossed to a direct relationship like Schubert ?

Schubert will always be remembered as a Rooster, same way Rogers will always be remembered as a Shark and Vautin an Eagle.

Why not appoint a firm like PWC ???

Roosterphin

Juniors
taxidriver said:
"Whoever they choose someone will be able to show a relationship to a club indirectly"

as oppossed to a direct relationship like Schubert ?

Schubert will always be remembered as a Rooster, same way Rogers will always be remembered as a Shark and Vautin an Eagle.

Why not appoint a firm like PWC ???

You attack a mans credibility purely because he played football before?? what about if the auditor from PWC is a fanatical dragons fan?? That would be more bias that schubert who played with three clubs

Taxi go find an idea?

ngap

Juniors
Schubert has not had a direct relationship with Easts for years. Any connection now is inderct.

legend

Coach
Accountability, transparency and no conflict of interest(s).

The Rooster weild far too much influence through the representative arena and this will continue with Stuart taking over as NSW coach next year.

Do I think this plays a part in player negotiations? Yes I do.

Can I prove it? I'm still working on Jimmy Hoffa so bear with me. :lol:

The NRL partnership committee. Who makes up this committee?

Referees boss? Robert Finch.

I'm not suggesting the Roosters get favourable treatment with the refs but there is an obvious perceived conflict when the boss of the referees has an indirect link to the Roosters.

ngap

Juniors
legend said:
Accountability, transparency and no conflict of interest(s).

The Rooster weild far too much influence through the representative arena and this will continue with Stuart taking over as NSW coach next year.

Do I think this plays a part in player negotiations? Yes I do.
So an independent coach and assistants for all teams. Be expensive but they could be used for country development when no rep season.
I like the idea but then Fulton was independent.

The NRL partnership committee. Who makes up this committee?

Supplied by News Limited and Politis and other reps voted by the clubs.

Referees boss? Robert Finch.

I'm not suggesting the Roosters get favourable treatment with the refs but there is an obvious perceived conflict when the boss of the referees has an indirect link to the Roosters.

There were plenty of better choices that could have been selected here. At the moment he isn't really up to the job but who else will they get. No good getting Billy because of his links to the Roosters even if he resigns.