What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canberra the next Parra..?

Tidus_Raider

Bench
We all know that the Eels were on the cusp of greatness in 2001. But something really bad happened and it all went pair shaped. I cant help it but I find that their are similarities with Parramatta's demise as to what is happening with Canberra at the moment.

1.Top level talent are leaving. Since their Grand Final appearance the Eelas have lost Lyon, J. Cayless, Vaeliki(sp?), Tonga, Mogg, Hindmarsh, Drew, Ryan and a whole heap of others.

The raiders have lost Wiki, Davico, Finch, M. Monaghan, J. Monaghan etc.

2.Recruiting players has become a farce were only pensioners need apply. Eels reruited the likes of Corey Pearson, Steve Crouch, Muspratt, muckert etc.

The raiders have recruited Adamson, Smith.We have also signed deadweight like Jamie Russo.

3.The coach refuses to look outside core group for talent. All year Smith has had the likes of Witt and Thorman he could of used in the halves but has decided to stick with Dykes until only recently.

Elliot has continuously shunned the likes of Carney and Campese in preference for Bulgarelli and Drew.

Bay56

First Grade
Tidus .... you may be on to something here :) :)

Do you think we should get rid of the culprit :)

azza

Juniors
You are about 5 months late in your observation, some of us have been pointing this out for some time now. Stay away from anyone in the Brian Smith coaching college seems to be emerging as a theme nowadays

Raider_69

Post Whore
Parramatta's School of Coaching :arrow: Brian Smith :arrow: Daniel Anderson :arrow: Matt Elliot

Bay56

First Grade
azza said:
You are about 5 months late in your observation, some of us have been pointing this out for some time now. Stay away from anyone in the Brian Smith coaching college seems to be emerging as a theme nowadays

Actually he is about 2.5 years too late :)

and i repeat
WE ARE GOING NO WHERE WITH THIS MANAGEMENT/COACHING SETUP.

jed

First Grade
OK, for argument's sake, let's say we get rid of Elliott, then what? Who do we sign? Daley? What's to say he'd even coach us? He knocked back the Central Coast bid. Stuart? He's contracted to the Roosters, and after the way we shafted him, would he come back either?

thickos

First Grade
Maybe we're the next St George Illawarra.... injuries/suspension/shit form knocked them about in 2003, but all those kids got a wealth of experience when called up - and now they are shining as NRL regulars.

I know this season has been a major, MAJOR disappointment and I am gutted at our fall from grace, but the blooding of Miller, Kahler, Rothery, N. Smith, Chalk, Carney, Campese and Weyman can only be good for the club in the long term.

brenno

Juniors
there's not really anybody out there's who's proven when it comes to potential 1st grade coach candidates. I don't think the Raiders have been like/ will be like Parra. As incompetent as the current management is, the Raiders don't have a goose like Denis Fitzgerald running the club.

azza

Juniors
I have always stated we should not sack Elliot until we have a DEFINITE quality replacement available and willing to start at the Raiders. God willing, I really do hope Elliot learns from the mistakes he has made this year so that we don't actually need to change coaches. That failing, at the moment our PL team looks better coached than the first grade side, although I don't know whether Collins has what it takes to take over the reigns in first grade.

Raider_69

Post Whore
thats a very good question Jed
if we got rid of elliot i would say Matherson or Snoopy would take over short term untill the right man was found, be that 2 weeks or 1 year. I believe if given the right deal Stuart would be willing to return...

He has always had his coaching credentials under the microscope as he walked into a team full of internationals and superstars, also i keep hearing the same rumors that Stuart is annoyed with Gould's constant interference with his team. A challange combined with a return home might be an option he would look forward too... His situation will be determined by weather Stuart can understand that it was old management that shafted him, not this one, and also weather he is looking to get out of the chooks

Daley i think would make a superb coach but he is sitting on a hefty pay cheak at Fox Sports and it would take alot to have him move down here again, i have no doubts despite his shirt he still bleeds green, blue and yella but he is set up at the moment, perhaps in a few years when he's children have grown up, relocating them would be alot of hassels for him

Other than that im not really sure, Don Furner perhaps but he is pretty old now

Raider_69

Post Whore
azza said:
I have always stated we should not sack Elliot until we have a DEFINITE quality replacement available and willing to start at the Raiders. God willing, I really do hope Elliot learns from the mistakes he has made this year so that we don't actually need to change coaches. That failing, at the moment our PL team looks better coached than the first grade side, although I don't know whether Collins has what it takes to take over the reigns in first grade.

ill echo this statement to an extent
elliot shouldnt be given the arse untill the bloke we want is a done deal, unless the bloke is unwilling then we cant stick with this mediocrity and we will have to take a punt

I still think that one day Lozza will return. In the last year or so he's really got his passion back for the Raiders from listening to him on the telly, and he genuinely wants to see us do well. I know he's still close with a couple of people in the club, including the coach. I would be stoked if he came to coach us, mainly because I think he would be able to attract some quality players to boot.

Kris_man

Bench
i'm tired of talking about elliott. i've realised that i'm the exact opposite of him in my approach to football.