What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't believe this rubbish

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons prop Mike Cooper hits back at club’s ‘unfair’ critics
97f359e9b65852414e148c7144c34042

Matt Logue, The Daily Telegraph
July 26, 2016 6:40pm
97f359e9b65852414e148c7144c34042

ST GEORGE Illawarra prop Mike Cooper has called for critics to lay off the under-fire club, slamming the constant condemnation levelled at the Red V as ‘unfair’.

On the same day the Dragons were forced to stand down Tim Lafai and Siliva Havili for breaching the club’s code of conduct after the pair were charged by police following a drunken incident in Wollongong on Sunday morning, Cooper called for calm from the fans.

While the British-born bookend understands the fans’ frustration after a string of below-par performances, he believes disapproval aimed at the players, coach Paul McGregor and long-serving CEO Peter Doust is unwarranted.

1859465f4b6f24d64c598002e57c6a9d

Mike Cooper has hit out at the Dragons’ critics.
“There a lot of teams below us in the league and that have been in the finals for the last couple of years that are getting no heat whatsoever,” Cooper said.

“But (we do) because it’s the Dragons and we get all the pressure, which is a shame.

“I don’t really understand why this club gets so much heat all the time. It’s unfair, but it is the way it is.

“I’ve learnt being a part of this club that you are under a lot of pressure. Coming from the UK this is a different kettle of fish completely.”

The Dragons have lost their past three games by a combined total of 93-30 as they’ve fallen out of the top eight. Despite scoring just five tries in those losses, Cooper said he could not cop people taking pot shots at the Dragons’ application.

“If people are trying to question the effort or desire for us to win right from the top down to the kit man, then that’s absolutely ridiculous,” he said.

“The people that are saying that don’t know sport. That’s the disappointing thing. People think people aren’t putting effort in and at times we are over trying rather than not putting effort in.

“Everyone is sticking together and you have to in this type of situation. Obviously we are a proud club and a lot of people involved with this club are putting in as much effort as possible to go forward.”

Pressure aside, Cooper refused to make excuses for poor player behaviour. He admitted Lafai and Havili would regret their actions on the early hours of last Sunday morning, but maintained his support for the duo.

Both Lafai and Havili will be stood down from all club activities until further notice, while they also face Wollongong Local Court on September 6.

“I’m sure the lads if they had their time again wouldn’t have put themselves in that situation,” he said. “But that’s the decision that they made which they have to live by.

“The boys will always stick by the players and there are two sides to the story. I’m sure if they’ve broken the code of conduct by the club, then action will be taken.”

Dragons captain Gareth Widdop is equally disappointed by the actions of Lafai and Havili, but stressed the side must now look forward.

As difficult as this season has been for the underachieving Saints thus far, Widdop insists the spotlight is nothing compared to the salary cap scandal he endured in his rookie season at the Melbourne Storm in 2010.

b7678ee663fe07753ea48d9dc45903dc

Widdop says the club’s woes cannot be put down to the players not trying.
“That was a lot worse than where we are,” he reasoned. “We are just outside the top eight and we haven’t been stripped of everything we’ve worked at for 10 years. And they got out of it and won a grand final two years later.

“I guess I’ve been through a few challenges, but the biggest thing I’ve learnt from it is to stick together and get through it.

“It’s just about sticking together as one, working hard at training and not shying away from the challenges. So no pointing fingers -that’s the only way you can go about it.”

This positive mindset is why Widdop hasn’t given up hope of making the finals despite the Dragons’ substandard form in recent weeks.

“We are definitely not up to par to where we want to be,” he said.

“It’s not through lack of effort though. We are coming to training and working hard, but it’s just not coming off for us. That’s what quite hard and disappointing to take.

“We’ve just got to be honest within the group of where we are at and where we want to go and that’s still the finals.”

Link for those who wish to comment in the comments section

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/97f359e9b65852414e148c7144c34042

thebigredv

First Grade
Oh dear. The players are starting to sound just like their coach.

I find it infuriating.

No it isn't about effort. It's about week after week of not delivering and then each week acting surprised that you didn't deliver...and then talking about teams below you. What the hell do the teams below you have to do with how poor the team is? This is unprofessional and weak. Go back to England Mike. You are part of the problem quite obviously. Take Mary with you.

since77

Juniors
Hey Cooper, f**k off back to England now, you Muppet, and while your at it, take that little pussy widdop with you.

McGregor must have filled every Gatorade bottle the team uses with Kool Aid.
One of the lamest things I've heard a Dragons player say, and there's been a few of them this year.

Red V for life

Juniors
Cooper: "There are a lot of teams below us...who aren't copping heat".

Ummm...would that be because they are financially sound, been successful and can actually score and defend (i.e. Play footy) year in year out and are having an off year (as opposed to YEARS)? A ridiculous Mary-esque justification. Been watching too many pressers Mike.

Widdop: "We are coming to training and working hard, but it's just not coming off for us"

I have no doubt the effort is there. My under 12s coach used to say what you do on the training paddock is what happens on game day. Clearly what they're doing on the training paddock is not working. It just simply does not take YEARS to refine/develop an attack!

God-King Dean

Immortal
This whole 'there's teams worse than us' mentality reminds of Lockwood in 2007, after we missed the finals

'We were only 2 wins outside of the 8'

GKJ79

Juniors
McGregor must have filled every Gatorade bottle the team uses with Kool Aid.
One of the lamest things I've heard a Dragons player say, and there's been a few of them this year.

Kool Aid, im laughing so hard, my stomach hurts, f**k I wish we could tie up Mcgregor and Doust, and make them read all our comments.

blacksafake

First Grade
Hey Mike the supporters are entitled to their opinions without you telling them that they have no idea what they are talking about.
A bit of advice mate you seem to have clocked off since announcing your move back home, How about showing us different as you look to be so slow & pedestrian.

John moz

Juniors
Its showing all of us fans these players are brain washed in a doust mary spin they all read these forums If cooper played as half of what other english forwards that have played in the nrl over the years have achieved he wouldnt be going back home just yet come on cooper tell us the truth you can not player under mary as coach with no structure you had another year on your contract.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
This is disappointing. We've made the finals once in the last five years, and that was in 8th position. We've suffered watching the most inept attacking side in the league year after year. We've seen the club pay overs for mediocre players and let good juniors go. We've seen good players turned into average ones. We've lost three games straight to teams below us on the table and dont look like winning again this year. Next year is not shaping up to be any better. There is no joy watching the Dragons play, only a kind of forlorn hope born from memories past. And yet you expect us to cheer the team on week after week and praise their efforts as they sink ever lower down the ladder. I don't doubt the effort on the field, but I doubt the effort in training if that is all that can be produced during the game itself.

Mike, your wages ultimately come from us the fans, and our money is being wasted. If you cannot see that the team and club has major problems, it really is time you left.

Gareth67

First Grade
Fook....!!!! In the 50 years that I have been a Saints supporter , I have never heard the players defend themselves .
Regardless of the outcome of the match , they knew that they had given their best for the team . So there were never any excuses , but hell , who's idea was it for the players to front the media in defence of their performances ?
This smacks of 'grasping at straws ' from the Board , or whoever it was that put them up to this.
Do they really believe that they are going to win any of the remaining games ?
Fook....!!!

thebigredv

First Grade
This is disappointing. We've made the finals once in the last five years, and that was in 8th position. We've suffered watching the most inept attacking side in the league year after year. We've seen the club pay overs for mediocre players and let good juniors go. We've seen good players turned into average ones. We've lost three games straight to teams below us on the table and dont look like winning again this year. Next year is not shaping up to be any better. There is no joy watching the Dragons play, only a kind of forlorn hope born from memories past. And yet you expect us to cheer the team on week after week and praise their efforts as they sink ever lower down the ladder. I don't doubt the effort on the field, but I doubt the effort in training if that is all that can be produced during the game itself.

Mike, your wages ultimately come from us the fans, and our money is being wasted. If you cannot see that the team and club has major problems, it really is time you left.

x1000
You said it all mate.
No enjoyment whatsoever and we have waited patiently. Mike has just strolled in and done his bit and made a bit of coin. No passion for the RED V. A lot of fans stayed quiet all through the Steve Price era but are now making some noise because this is intolerable.

Dragons 09

Juniors
“There a lot of teams below us in the league and that have been in the finals for the last couple of years that are getting no heat whatsoever,” Cooper said. He clearly has no idea what the Roosters, Eagles and Rabbits fans are saying about their teams at the moment.

“But (we do) because it’s the Dragons and we get all the pressure, which is a shame. Spoken by someone with zero understanding of the long proud tradition of this once great club.

“I don’t really understand why this club gets so much heat all the time. It’s unfair, but it is the way it is. Spoken by someone with zero understanding of the long proud tradition of this once great club.

“I’ve learnt being a part of this club that you are under a lot of pressure. When i read the above comments i doubt he has learnt much at all about our club Coming from the UK this is a different kettle of fish completely.” I'll refrain to comment on this :rolleyes:

“If people are trying to question the effort or desire for us to win right from the top down to the kit man, then that’s absolutely ridiculous,” he said. “The people that are saying that don’t know sport. That’s the disappointing thing.
This (and the above comments if i am being totally honest) is total arrogance and smacks of a Doust/McGregor written script that they have conveniently had wheeled out by an English import that everyone seems to admire and will go easy on therefore, in the dynamic duos delusional view, will settle us fans down and make us realise how unfair and terribly misinformed we have been about how we are actually travelling as a club.

When i read shite like that i feel like sticking blunt pencils in my eyeballs. It's mind boggling that after the Price era, that the powers to be have let us get back to rock bottom again........incompetence of the highest order. There is one positive though, the more tripe like this and Dousts' BS letter to members that makes it to print, is proof the pressure is well and truly on dynamic duo. We (as fans/members/stakeholders) are clearly being heard and just need to be relentless and eventually sanity will prevail. Better times ahead.

dragonreddy

Juniors
IT's a bit rich getting lectured by a bloke who is walking out on the last year of his contract, I know he has family issues but just shut your trap mate ,you've been in the joint 5 minutes and now you are lecturing us on "how it is"

Of course the sides he speaks about that are below us are MANLY ,ROOSTERS AND SOUTHS you need to check your NRL history Mike the reason they aren't getting grief is because they haven't dished up garbage for 5 years.

As far as WIDDOP comparing us to STORM being able to grab a premiership 2 years after rock bottom ,well we're a few players away from that and a real coach.

"There's a lot of teams below us in the league".

No longer restricted to management alone, mediocrity has even infected the playing group.

Straight Shooter

Mr Red

First Grade
Newsflash.... there aren't a lot of teams below us mate...
Newsflash 2 ..... Souths players and coach have been feeling the heat big time as well....

Should get his facts rights before going full Mary-like and dribbling..