What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canterbury-Bankstown - returning to BELMORE!

Bulldog Force

Referee
Source: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...re-sports-ground/story-e6frexnr-1226178919638

Bulldogs enjoying a reborn Belmore Sports Ground

918848-belmore-reborn.jpg

Belmore reborn: (from top left to right) the pool and spa facilities, Sam Kasiano hits the weights room, Greg Eastwood checks out the indoor/outdoor running track and the theatrette.

IS it any wonder Dessie Hasler is leaving dilapidated Brookvale Oval for the Bulldogs. Take a look at Belmore's grand old lady now.
After years of neglect, decay and being showered with pigeon droppings, Belmore Sports Ground has been spectacularly transformed.
Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg yesterday gave The Daily Telegraph an extensive tour of the revamped facilities, which now house the club's administration offices, state-of-the-art gymnasium, rehab baths and spas, theatrette, lecture rooms, fully equipped kitchen, physio room, dressing room for players and an indoor running track which extends directly out of glass doors on to the playing field.The coaching offices and football operations sit on the ground floor, administration on the second floor.
Named the Bulldogs Centre of Excellence, the impressive set-up has been built inside the Stewart Stand, the renowned train line just metres away.
The centre took one year to complete at a cost of $9 million - $5 million of which came from the Rudd Government, $3 million from the ex-Keneally Government and $500,000 each from Canterbury Leagues Club and Canterbury Council.
After a decade based at Homebush, the Bulldogs officially moved back to Belmore a few days ago, although the club will continue to play NRL games at ANZ Stadium.
"Plenty of people never thought this would happen," Greenberg said. "But our board had a vision and this is the culmination of their hard work."All the facilities are under the one roof, which is important. This isn't just about the team - it's about the club.
"We have gone back to our grass roots but also have a strong eye on the future. It is a nice blend."
The roof incorporates the existing grandstand, with the Stewart Stand's concrete beams there for all to see. It is a gentle reminder to players that they are still in working-class Belmore.
The theatrette will be used for video sessions and media commitments, as well as staff and sponsorship meetings.
Players will relax in a large recreational room which has a fully equipped kitchen, large sofas and stools. A nutritionist will cook meals for the players during training days.
There is even a room for indoor barbecues, and blinds have been placed in between two panes of glass to prevent them being damaged.
The indoor pool and bath are temperature controlled.
All up the room cost about $1 million.
"These are world-class facilities - everything is first class. We have no excuses," Canterbury coach Jim Dymock said.
"It's like coming home. I used to love playing at Belmore. It is a unique ground."
Belmore Sports Ground holds a special place in the hearts of all Canterbury fans. It has a rich history, from when Canterbury were the Berries to the mighty Bulldogs they are now.
It was home to the Mortimer and Hughes brothers when they took Canterbury to the 1980 premiership under Ted Glossop, and when Terry Lamb inspired Warren Ryan's "Dogs of War" to back-to-back titles in 1984 and 1985.
Canterbury played home matches at Belmore Oval between 1936 and 1967. In 1968, the ground was reconfigured and named Belmore Sports Ground, the first modern rectangular ground in rugby league. From 1968 to 1998, Canterbury played 327 matches there for 216 wins.
The Bulldogs will play a trial against the Sydney Roosters at Belmore on February 12.

***MH***

Bench
Keep Sunday, February 12 free on your calendars folks. That Bulldogs v Roosters "Return to Belmore" clash will creep up on you before you know it!

Also, here is the full list of NSW Cup games at Belmore for 2012. (times/dates subject to change)

NSW Cup

Round 1 Sat, Mar 3 3:00 PM Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs v Mounties
Round 3 Sat, Mar 17 3:00 PM Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs v North Sydney Bears
Round 6 Sat, Apr 7 3:00 PM Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs v Balmain Ryde Eastwood Tigers
Round 11 Sat, May 12 3:00 PM Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs v Illawarra
* Round 13 Sat, May 26 1:00 PM Cronulla Sharks v Auckland Vulcans
* Round 13 Sat, May 26 3:00 PM Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs v Newcastle Knights
Round 15 Sat, Jun 9 3:00 PM Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs v Cronulla Sharks
Round 18 Sat, Jul 7 3:00 PM Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs v Windsor Wolves
Round 22 Sat, Aug 4 3:00 PM Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs v Western Suburbs Magpies
Round 23 Sat, Aug 11 3:00 PM Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs v Manly Sea Eagles
Round 25 Sat, Aug 25 3:00 PM Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs v Auckland Vulcans

* NSW CUP Double Header

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Members will have first opportunity for tickets, then open for public sales I think (don't quote me on it though). I imagine the capacity will be capped somewhere around 15-20k so it all depends on how pre-sales go.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Thanks Tim. Belmore's capacity is 25,000, so I hope management see sense to have it capped at that. It's going to be a historical day for the club and we should squeeze as many of our fans into that stadium to reflect this... just like old times.

***MH***

Bench
Check out the birds eye view of Belmore developments with NearMap.
http://www.nearmap.com/
<search=BELMORE>

You can use the date selection to view the most recent shot of Belmore (dated 23rd October 2011). On this shot, you can see the updated seating on the Western Stand, the installation of the new 40m Sprint Track near the North Western Corner, upgraded amenities block behind the hill in the South Eastern Corner and upgrades to the carpark behind the Grandstand.

Hopefully, in the near future, they will upgrade the terrace seating in front of the hill and on the Northern and Southern ends from the wooden seats to Grandstand style seats as well as some sort of permanent scoreboard and game clock.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Check out the birds eye view of Belmore developments with NearMap.
http://www.nearmap.com/
<search=BELMORE>

You can use the date selection to view the most recent shot of Belmore (dated 23rd October 2011). On this shot, you can see the updated seating on the Western Stand, the installation of the new 40m Sprint Track near the North Western Corner, upgraded amenities block behind the hill in the South Eastern Corner and upgrades to the carpark behind the Grandstand.

Hopefully, in the near future, they will upgrade the terrace seating in front of the hill and on the Northern and Southern ends from the wooden seats to Grandstand style seats as well as some sort of permanent scoreboard and game clock.
Pretty good, but I can't really make out the sprint track.

***MH***

Bench
Belmore Sports Ground has always been synonymous with the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs.

Next month, on Sunday 12 February, the Bulldogs will make an emotional on field return to their spiritual home when the Club takes on fierce rivals the Sydney Roosters in a five game extravaganza of Rugby League - the pinnacle of which will be a twilight First Grade trial fixture between the Bulldogs and Roosters NRL squads.

And now to the best part: our 2012 Members will get the first shot at tickets for what is certain to be a massive day of action.

Today the Club is pleased to announce the following details for the trial match on February 12.

Event Details

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs vs. Sydney Roosters

Sunday 12th February

Gates open: 9.45am
Harold Matthews: 10.00am
SG Ball: 11.30am
NYC: 1.00pm
NSW Cup vs. Newtown Jets: 3.00pm
NRL: 5.00pm

Ticket Prices:

Grandstand
$30 - Adult
$20 - Concession
$20 - Junior
$80 - Family

General Admission
$15 - Adult
$10 - Concession
$10 - Junior
$40 - Family

* Prices do not include agency and booking fees.
# Juniors 5-12 years inclusive. Children 4 & under are free on the knee unless occupying a seat.
# Concession covers aged pensioner, invalid pensioner, sole parent pensioner, war veterans, war widows, secondary and tertiary students.. For all Concessions proof is required on request.
# Family: 2 Adults & 2 Juniors OR 1 Adult & 3 Juniors

Members Pre-Sale Period:

Members are advised of the following pre-sale periods.

Please note, an email will be sent next Monday, 16 January, with the ticketing link and login instructions.

Early-bird Member pre-sale

All 2012 Members joined by 24 November, 2011
Tickets on sale from 9am Tuesday 17 January 9am Thursday 19 January
Maximum 4 x tickets per Member

Member pre-sale
All 2012 Members
Tickets on sale from 9am Thursday 19 January 9am Friday 20 January
Maximum 4 x tickets per Member

Note: tickets will go on sale to the General Public on Friday, 20 January at 9am.

If you have not signed up as a 2012 Member, please visit www.bulldogs.com.au/membership to take advantage of your Member pre-sale period for our Belmore trial.

Packy

Bench
I am happy for other people but I don't really care. I live in QLD so don't get to come back much.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I must be the only Bulldogs supporter not excited by the return to Belmore.

Your not alone. I suppose I had some real good time there, especially those 1994 full house matches. But that is outweighted by the negative experiences in 1997-98 when we just had too many idiots attending our games. Not to mention that hills at the footy are overated. Much prefer a comfortable seat, suppose I am just getting old now.

***MH***

Bench
Sydney Olympic are co-tenants of Belmore Sports Ground. They hosted the NSW Premier League final against Sydney United at Belmore last year as well as a trial match against Sydney FC.

Their website actually has more news on the renovations and developments with BSG than the Bulldogs website. Check their news and gallery at http://www.sydneyolympicfc.com/

It also explains why Peter Moore Field wont be available for Parking for this trial match as that is being dug up and redeveloped into a second field for League and Soccer complete with a small grandstand.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Sydney Olympic are co-tenants of Belmore Sports Ground. They hosted the NSW Premier League final against Sydney United at Belmore last year as well as a trial match against Sydney FC.

Their website actually has more news on the renovations and developments with BSG than the Bulldogs website. Check their news and gallery at http://www.sydneyolympicfc.com/

It also explains why Peter Moore Field wont be available for Parking for this trial match as that is being dug up and redeveloped into a second field for League and Soccer complete with a small grandstand.
Where can I read up on that? I can only see a little info on the ground here:

http://www.sydneyolympicfc.com/club-info/ground/

Also, is this Peter Moore Field project part of the Belmore Sports Ground upgrade?

Latest posts