What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canterbury-Bankstown's new recruit Reni Maitua back in the Dog house

EelsFan05

Bench
http://www.news.com.au/sport/Canterbury-Bankstown's new recruit Reni Maitua back in the Dog house/canterbury-bankstowns-new-recruit-reni-maitua-back-in-the-dog-house/story-fndv2wg4-1226723875657

RENI Maitua took the Canterbury Bulldogs for granted when he last walked through the doors of Belmore Sports Ground almost six years ago.

On Tuesday morning he drove back with a very different attitude, and discovered his first home was had undergone some equally significant changes.

Speaking for the first time about returning to Canterbury on a deal that will bookend his career at Belmore, Maitua was amazed at the venue’s facelift.

"I can hardly recognise it from when I was here last," said Maitua.

"All these offices (inside the grandstand) used to be old toilet blocks."

Reflecting on his first stint at Canterbury, which delivered his lone premiership and Australian Test jersey, Maitua now realises he could have achieved much more as part of one of the most feared forward packs in recent history.

"I've thought about this and also spoken to former team mates like Sonny Bill Williams, Willie Mason and Willie Tonga about how much we took this place for granted," he confessed.

"Winning a premiership in our first year together created a lot of egos. That’s all part of growing up and becoming more mature, I suppose.

"Sometimes we thought we were bigger than the club, and ultimately none of us ended up being left here. It was a move the club had to make to become successful again.

"I try not to have regrets in life, but we could have won three, four or even five premierships if we were all on the same page."

After collecting back-to-back wooden spoons at Parramatta for over the past two seasons, Maitua's primary motivation isn’t silverware.

One of a dozen Eels told to look elsewhere in June, the 31-year-old Rabbitohs junior wants simply off-field stability

"There were only two clubs I really considered playing at — Canterbury and Souths.

"I wanted to stay close to my family in Sydney, so moving wasn’t an option, and the club had to have good stability and a good coach.

"There was no point going to another club that was rebuilding, and I think Parramatta found themselves in this position because of poor management from ten years ago.

"It also has the worse training facilities in the NRL, we trained on four different grounds and one of them — Ritchie Benaud Oval — I wouldn’t let my dog run on it.

"The players are responsible for what happens on the field, but at some point management have to be accountable for the team’s preparation and overall performance."

Appointed Eels co-captain alongside Jarryd Hayne and Tim Mannah in March, Maitua handed over leadership duties after receiving word that the final year of Parramatta deal was unlikely to be honoured.

"The toughest thing was being told by the former CEO (Ken Edwards) that it wouldn’t get out in the media, then reading my name all over Twitter when I walked out of the room," he said.

"I just needed to step away and take that weekend off, because my mind wasn’t on the job.

"Being one of the captains, you feel like the weight of the world is on your shoulders.

"A good leader never shows signs of weakness and I probably wasn’t ready for it."

"I didn’t have to leave Parramatta, and I spoke with (former Eels coach) Ricky Stuart about possibly staying. In the end, we agreed that it would be best for me to leave."

The only thing Maitua will need to concentrate on at Canterbury is breaking into the forward pack, with his role expected to replicate that of departed utility Dene Halatau.

His first training session in the Bulldogs gym was on Tuesday, but he is yet to meet new coach Des Hasler.

"I've only spoken to him on the phone twice," Maitua said.

"I'm expecting him to be someone very disciplined, who knows the game very well and a perfectionist.

"I'm really looking forward to this. It’s like unfinished business."

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Is there a more overblown player in the comp????

He might not like Ritchie Benaud oval but he should get used to running on Parks because i don't see him playing anywhere for the Dogs but park footy.

EelsFan05

Bench
I think it is a pretty honest assessment of the where we are as a football club. He might be playing a lot of park football next year but that is an indication of where the Dogs are compared to us. The club would do well to listen to a bit of constructive criticism.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I think it is a pretty honest assessment of the where we are as a football club. He might be playing a lot of park football next year but that is an indication of where the Dogs are compared to us. The club would do well to listen to a bit of constructive criticism.
Mate i am just sick of hearing about a bloke who is barely above park footy standard, he whores himself out to media,radio or tv every second week. Besides the odd game where he had a dig he was absolutely woeful and a major reason we are where we are. Just STFU and go softcock.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

+1

Eelementary

Post Whore
The guy is lazy and mentally piss-weak.

Having said that, his observations are spot on.

Won't miss him, but.

EelsFan05

Bench
The guy is lazy and mentally piss-weak.

Having said that, his observations are spot on.

Won't miss him, but.

I wonder where Stuart dug up the psychologist that profiled Matuia as a leader? I suppose he/she picked Hayne as well so one out of two ain't bad. Or was he/she hedging their bets.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I wonder where Stuart dug up the psychologist that profiled Matuia as a leader? I suppose he/she picked Hayne as well so one out of two ain't bad. Or was he/she hedging their bets.

Tbh he had some moments of leadership - like when he told that young fella that was sacked to stop drinking and they had a punch-up over it.

But mostly he failed at leadership big time. The greatest proof is against the Dogs when Tonga was put on report and the ref was looking right at Maitua and calling for the captain. Maitua walked away.

He is a very damaging ball-runner with some good ball skills, but is mentally weak and a lazy defender. Keeping Tanginoa at 18 offers more than him and with a better attitude to boot.

shiznit

Coach
Mate i am just sick of hearing about a bloke who is barely above park footy standard, he whores himself out to media,radio or tv every second week. Besides the odd game where he had a dig he was absolutely woeful and a major reason we are where we are. Just STFU and go softcock.
I reckon he will kill it at the dogs...

A better environment around him will get the best out if him.

People were saying Justin Horo wasn't first grade standard when manly picked him up.

He's been outstanding this season.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Tbh he had some moments of leadership - like when he told that young fella that was sacked to stop drinking and they had a punch-up over it.

There was that other awesome leadership moment where Reni was captain for one game. The ref asked Reni for the captain, and Reni turned around to the boys and said "who is the captain"

Brilliant.

strider

Post Whore
i don't think reni was half as bad as everyone makes out he was

it REALLY wouldn't have been hard to be demoralised as all hell at our club this year

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
i don't think reni was half as bad as everyone makes out he was

it REALLY wouldn't have been hard to be demoralised as all hell at our club this year

I agree.

I reckon we could have Chuck Norris as our captain and some people would still be blowing up.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I reckon he will kill it at the dogs...

A better environment around him will get the best out if him.

People were saying Justin Horo wasn't first grade standard when manly picked him up.

He's been outstanding this season.

There were quite a few Horo fans around here, and there was some tension between Horo's dad and the coach which didn't bode well for the bloke. For whatever reason he was banished to state cup and had a lot to prove.

Reni has been gifted a FG spot for years, his defence is far worse than Horo's ever was (and Horo gets beaten with 'stuck feet' even today), plus Horo doesn't shirk a workload in defence.
And in attack Horo has a far more multi-faceted attacking game than Reni (and is willing to hit it up 1 off the ruck early in the count).

Then let's talk about Reni pancaking on some bloke and just not getting up until the referee blows his whistle. Oh dear.

There's a reason Reni has a 25% win record as a backrower (over his career with many clubs). Horo is at 53%
It's a simplistic analysis obviously - but Reni is a faridinkum DOOR on the left in D, and a penalty machine on the odd occasion he goes in to make a tackle.

Eelementary

Post Whore
There was that other awesome leadership moment where Reni was captain for one game. The ref asked Reni for the captain, and Reni turned around to the boys and said "who is the captain"

Brilliant.

I mentioned that already.

I was saying that early on, Maitua displayed some semblance of maturity and professional respect. He could easily have fooled sports psychologists into thinking he was a leader.

Hell, I trick people at my company into thinking I'm a leader and I'm a bludger. ;)