What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canterbury cup vs Wests

OldPanther

Coach
Could still be a good way to ease him in to FG. The halves just need to find the centres with the ball.

Problem is you lose half his skill. All he'd be doing is using his running. Kicking, ball playing are all gone. I'd want him developing these as he goes which would be good at fullback supporting the halves. He'd be our Ponga.

franklin2323

Immortal
Come on be realistic. Turbo played a one off game there in a rep team. Inglis played there because his knees gave out or he had Slater earlier in his career. If you put Burton at centre you might as well not play him at all.

Point is there is 2 recent examples of good attackers at centre. How many players have tried to be a fullback and failed?

franklin2323

Immortal
No they weren't, but both are proven class players.

I think Burton's best position until I see otherwise is 5/8. He should continue his development as one in the off season.
Luai deserves the right to start round 1 at 5/8 though if he has a good pre season and trials.

Nothing wrong with that way of thinking but there is ways to get both in the side if you wanted too

Problem is you lose half his skill. All he'd be doing is using his running. Kicking, ball playing are all gone. I'd want him developing these as he goes which would be good at fullback supporting the halves. He'd be our Ponga.

Many a great 5/8 has started in the centres. There’s no rush.

Daley
Fittler

Were both centres at the start.

franklin2323

Immortal
I am all for that. I have my doubts we can though.

Both options have risks. Not sure the positional play for fullback would be there especially given is going decent enough.

Centre of course can be hard to get into the game but compare him to Naden defence looks better. The winger would get the ball not to mention a 3rd kicking option.

Hopefully we get Scott and we don't need to worry about centre but that and Hooker are the 2 weakest links for me

OldPanther

Coach
Both options have risks. Not sure the positional play for fullback would be there especially given is going decent enough.

Centre of course can be hard to get into the game but compare him to Naden defence looks better. The winger would get the ball not to mention a 3rd kicking option.

Hopefully we get Scott and we don't need to worry about centre but that and Hooker are the 2 weakest links for me

The problem is you often want to weaken a position to strengthen another. Centre just requires some tackling and running. A lot of people can de that. Naden and Crichton with a real off season should be serviceable or put Edwards there after an off season. It's genuinely upsetting to have a once in a generation talent finally and people want to park him on the edge. I'd give him the off season to practice and start him round one and tell him to learn no pressure. Our current young guys are the one acceptable reason for a rebuild in my opinion.

betcats

Referee
Sele, Burns, Ellis all look good early.

If we are still serious about playing finals football I'd be dropping RCG for one of these guys. They run a lot harder.

Burton could be eased in via fullback or centre easily as someone else said he could play anywhere in the backline but I think after an off-season with FG just play him at 6. find another spot for Luai if possible but burton is a 6 long term and I think he’s talented enough he should be given every opportunity to make it his spot next season.

The problem is you often want to weaken a position to strengthen another. Centre just requires some tackling and running. A lot of people can de that. Naden and Crichton with a real off season should be serviceable or put Edwards there after an off season. It's genuinely upsetting to have a once in a generation talent finally and people want to park him on the edge. I'd give him the off season to practice and start him round one and tell him to learn no pressure. Our current young guys are the one acceptable reason for a rebuild in my opinion.

I think you’re not appreciating how difficult it can be to defend in the centres, and properly feed your winger.

I’ll say again, Fittler was a once in a generation player, and he played most of his early football in the centres. The hype around Fittler was extraordinary. He went on a kangaroo tour when he was 18, no one was demanding he play at 5/8.

Dave's mate

Juniors
Jamie Lyon was Manly's mostly influential player from centre. Not saying its where id play Burton but it is an option

Flashstep

Juniors
Who knows maybe in 12 months Ivan gets sacked and Nathan goes to the titans with him, than we can have Luai and Burton in the halves :p

OldPanther

Coach
That’s a mighty long way from being a once in a generation player. Ponga isn’t even the best fullback in the game.

seriously, this hype is ridiculous.

He got MOTM for NSW after like 2 cup games. Came into first grade and looked like a natural. Went back and scored a beautiful try and set up more looking like a pro playing against kids. I don't just hype someone because they are our junior or for fun.

He got MOTM for NSW after like 2 cup games. Came into first grade and looked like a natural. Went back and scored a beautiful try and set up more looking like a pro playing against kids. I don't just hype someone because they are our junior or for fun.

None of that equals a once in a generation player.

You’re not just saying he’ll be good, you’re saying he’ll be Brad Fittler or Greg Alexander good. At this point that’s silly.

I’m sorry, but I’m spinning here. I can’t believe what I’m reading.

OldPanther

Coach
None of that equals a once in a generation player.

You’re not just saying he’ll be good, you’re saying he’ll be Brad Fittler or Greg Alexander good. At this point that’s silly.

I’m sorry, but I’m spinning here. I can’t believe what I’m reading.

He might not end up that good. Does that help to hear. I've never seen someone hang on to a single throwaway sentence like that before. He's still better than Edwards.

My entire point is just about keeping Burton and Luai in the spine. Funny part is the absolute best way possible would actually be Cleary to 9 but I haven't mentioned it because I know the club wouldn't consider it, or I doubt they would.

Last edited:
He might not end up that good. Does that help to hear. I've never seen someone hang on to a single throwaway sentence like that before. He's still better than Edwards.

My entire point is just about keeping Burton and Luai in the spine. Funny part is the absolute best way possible would actually be Cleary to 9 but I haven't mentioned it because I know the club wouldn't consider it, or I doubt they would.

Calling someone a “once in a generation” player is a throwaway?!

Latest posts