What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Captain Crisis

greeneyed

First Grade
Woolford crisis talks
October 20, 2004

CANBERRA's Simon Woolford could not be guaranteed the first grade captaincy next season despite a special meeting with Raiders coach Matt Elliott yesterday.

The pair discussed Woolford's ongoing role with the club, but Elliott described the meeting as "direct, amicable and productive".

Woolford's manager Steve Stone called for the meeting amid constant speculation about the captaincy and whether his client would be re-signed after his current contract, which expires after 2005.

Stone was also worried about whether Canberra were poised to sign Dragons hooker Lincoln Withers. There have been suggestions that Woolford may be dumped as captain for Clinton Schifcofske.

Other rumours suggest Woolford, 29, will shift to England.

"Simon was concerned and Steve Stone rang to see if we could have a meeting," Elliott said last night.

"I was prepared to do that as long as Simon was there.

"Simon did come. I didn't want a 'he said, she said' type of situation.

"How do you say this -- there was stuff flying around [about Woolford] from outside the organisation and I don't know what their agendas are."

Elliott could not guarantee Woolford would be captain next season, saying: "Simon and I will discuss the captaincy like we do at the start of every year. I have given it zero consideration.

"The first person I will discuss it with is Simon.

"I will say I am not unhappy with Simon's performance.

"We'll discuss his performance like we discuss everyone's performance in the club, including mine. That will be done between him and I."

Elliott denied suggestions Woolford wants to quit the Raiders.

"That wasn't conveyed to me," Elliott said.

"He spoke to me today and it was productive and we talked about things going forward. The meeting was direct and amicable."

Woolford said the rumours had prompted yesterday's meeting but admitted he wanted to remain a Canberra Raider for life.

"My manager had heard rumours that my future at the club was limited and the captaincy was

supposedly being taken off me," Woolford said.

"We wanted a meeting to discuss this. Matt and I will talk about the captaincy at the start of the season. It's been my goal to be a one-club man but that doesn't always guarantee smooth sailing."

Woolford and Stone were concerned about unsubstantiated talk that the Raiders were willing to offer Withers $890,000 over four years.

Elliott laughed at the figure but did say: "Lincoln can scratch an itch for us if Simon falls over."

The Daily Telegraph

Kris_man

Bench
"My manager [Steve Stone] had heard rumours that my future at the club was limited and the captaincy was supposedly being taken off me," Woolford said.
i think Stevie's been visiting LU :lol:

Brimmer

Juniors
Quite honestly...

I don't care if Woolford leaves... big deal. I think withers would inject a hell of a lot more strength and attack in the dummy half position. Woolford must have washed the most cars at a raiders fundraising event to become captain over the likes of Wiki in the first place.

I'm a realist. The reality is that Woolford is average.. nothing more, nothing less....For somebody like Luke Priddis to leave to employ the likes of Woolford is beyond me...

Kris_man

Bench
Woolford must have washed the most cars at a raiders fundraising event to become captain over the likes of Wiki in the first place.
no disrespect to Simon, but how the hell wasn't Wiki made captain after Daley left?!?! i guess there are some mysteries that will always remain unsolved...

thickos

First Grade
Brimmer I think that is a bit harsh on Woolford. Granted people may think he is a lesser player to Priddis but he has been captain of the club for 4 years, 200+ games for the Raiders and is still an excellent player.

I think 05 will be his last in the green but I would not be taking the (c) off him, thats for sure.

GreenGuy

Smells like the Davico debacle all over again- except the majority probably want Germ to leave after '05.

lotm

Juniors
everyone was disappointed how the davico debacle turned out (including management, i believe). i highly doubt that they'd let the same thing happen again (despite what some of you may believe). i think this is a situation of some of the media kicking the club while it's down. the poor on-field performances and incidents off-field make us an easy target for unsubstantiated rumours.

at least we're getting some sort of coverage in the sydney papers.

:clap:

Kris_man

Bench
if Woolford leaves: i'm not overly fussed. what WOULD bother me is if we fork out heaps of dough just to keep him.

edabomb

First Grade
Elliotts 'Steve Stoned' him. :lol: :lol:

Thanks Skeepe.

Wiki should have been captain. I don't have a problem with Woolford being relieved if there is a better man for the job in our squad. I don't think there is though, we'll be relying on Jason Smith to provide a lot of leadership next year. They won't give a 32 year old the captaincy though, because everyones always planning for the future :roll: .

How many teams actually start the NRL season thinking they have a realistic chance at winning it this year??? Theres too many 'next year' stories in pro sports!!!!!!!!

Raider_69

Post Whore
Kris_man said:
"My manager [Steve Stone] had heard rumours that my future at the club was limited and the captaincy was supposedly being taken off me," Woolford said.
i think Stevie's been visiting LU :lol:

i thought exactly the same
dont worry stevey boy, just keepin ya on ya toes :lol:

I love germ and would love nothing more than to see him stay here till his career is over, but that isnt the veiw of the majority and to be honest probably isnt best for the team

edabomb

First Grade
Well we already got rid of one of the top 10 most loyal players in the NRL in Ruben last year so I don't see why another one would matter.

Prodigiousman

Juniors
Woolford and Stone were concerned about unsubstantiated talk that the Raiders were willing to offer Withers $890,000 over four years.

WHO PAYS SOMEONE TO WRITE THIS DRIBBLE!!!!

Anyone in their right mind wouldn't offer Withers HALF that amount over the same four year period.

And just FYI - a massive reason Davico left was cause he'd missed out on his chance at rep jumpers time after time, the offer from Wigan was too good to refuse and at that stage of his career he had to move - it wasn't as much about 'infighting at the club' as you may have read. However he was concerned that the club's recruiting was pretty much stagnated after Monaghan and Wiki departed - fortunately that was rectified in terms of actually signing players of some worth - doesn't make up for losing Wiki but you get what i mean.

As for Woolford it wouldn't surprise me if he got targeted by English clubs but he is a loyal guy and will only leave if he doesn't have a future at the club.

But gee wizz - that figure we supposedly offered Withers is insane - that type of rubbish shouldn't even make a draft let alone the actual print edition.

jed

First Grade
Prodigiousman said:
And just FYI - a massive reason Davico left was cause he'd missed out on his chance at rep jumpers time after time, the offer from Wigan was too good to refuse and at that stage of his career he had to move - it wasn't as much about 'infighting at the club' as you may have read. However he was concerned that the club's recruiting was pretty much stagnated after Monaghan and Wiki departed - fortunately that was rectified in terms of actually signing players of some worth - doesn't make up for losing Wiki but you get what i mean.

For the record, Wiki left on the Friday, Statue on the Saturday, and Monas on the Sunday (the blackest 3 day period in our history). Monaghan was still a Raider at the time Davico signed.

jed

First Grade
I think there's a lot more to the departures of all 3 players than any of us can ever appreciate.

It's a tad harsh to rip the captaincy of a player for no particular reason. But If it means Schif staying in 06 then I'm all for it! We would be better off with Schif rather than Germ in 2006 IMO.

jed

First Grade
If they take it away from him, it'll be because they believe someone else is capable of doing a better job than him. The conspiracy theorist in me tends to think though that giving Schif the captaincy would be akin to dangling a carrot in front of him to re-sign for '06 onwards.

I think Woolford's done a good job as captain, and we definitely play better when he's directing play around the field.

Latest posts