What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Captain Crisis

Tidus_Raider

Bench
I know we can be very critical of management from time to time but you have to realise that managent is doing there best. It's not like they began the start of the year thinking that davico, Monaghan and Wiki (who would have thought huh?) would all be leaving. The fact of the matter is it's a cut throat sport.

Bay56

First Grade
Tidus_Raider said:
I know we can be very critical of management from time to time but you have to realise that managent is doing there best. It's not like they began the start of the year thinking that davico, Monaghan and Wiki (who would have thought huh?) would all be leaving. The fact of the matter is it's a cut throat sport.

The fact of the matter is that by season's end we lost three of our best players and replaced them with pensioners, no-names and one possible future star (not yet tested in 1st grade).

When you start hearing stories of the possiblity of the captain being shafted I reserve the right as a supporter to get rather angry with this pathetic mob that wouldnt know how to organise the proverbial root in the proverbial brothel.

When I start hearing some good news regarding the Raiders my opinion will need re-evaluating ... untill then I will continue to criticise.

Bay56

First Grade
SOULS 04 said:
and your succession plan would be ... what? get daley or stuart to coach? good f*cking luck, mate. if you think daley's going to move away from his cooshy job at fox, or stuart away from his highly paid job at the roosters you're naive.

and what about management? who, pray tell, should get the job of managing the raiders? any suggestions?

you can't just say "sack the lot of them" without a succession plan and expect it to be a positive move.

well said.
hold on im sure me and my mates could run the whole establishment... actually i'll coach.

And I'm absolutely sure Souls you'd do a better job than the current lunybins.

greeneyed

First Grade
Quotes from the captain in today's CT:

"Matt [Elliott] and Simon [Hawkins] told me there was nothing to worry about and that what I'd heard was rumour and nothing more than that. The meeting was all positive and we just wanted to make sure everything we were hearing was only rumour and knock it on the head. I'm confident we've now done that."

Woolford confirmed he has "always wanted to be a one club man" and was told that if that's what he wants, that is what he will get. "The club guaranteed me an offer in the long term future. In regards to the captaincy, Matt and myself (sic) will sit down as we do every year at the beginning of preseason in a couple of weeks and discuss the role of captain." The preseason training begins on November 1.

Woolford will be captain and against my wishes I think he will get another contract at the end of the year according to the sources provided.

SOULS 04

Juniors
yeh i got no problem with the club giving him plenty of concessions

i mean he's been loyal to us

azza

Juniors
Just the fact that our managment let the situation get to this point where there had to be a special meeting with Woolford to confirm his status at the club sickens me and continues to reflect their incompetency. There is just no professionalism in the club whatsoever at the moment.

raiders_boy

Juniors
hmm... Don't get me wrong, I love Germ. He's a champion player, and he is extremely loyal. The fact hat he wants to be a one club man is awesome. The only thing is, if we sign Withers, which i hope we do, then what will that mean for him.

If Woolford gets another contract at the end of 2005 bearing in mind he'll only be 30, he might get another 3 years contract, or 2 with an option, and where does that leave withers? If he doesn't get an opportunity to play hooker, what else are we gonna do with him. I personally would like to see him take over from Woolford, but I'm a bit torn, as I really like Woolford, and his passion for the green jersey is really encouraging.

Anonymous

Juniors
OK today got me thinking.....4 years is an awfully long time in football. Withers will be with us for 3 years after Germ leaves, maybe the skipper job was being dangled in front of him?

lotm

Juniors
And I'm absolutely sure Souls you'd do a better job than the current lunybins
you did excellently to avoid answering my question.

what's your realistic succession plan for both coaching and management?

Chippo Raiders

Juniors
lotm said:
And I'm absolutely sure Souls you'd do a better job than the current lunybins
you did excellently to avoid answering my question.

what's your realistic succession plan for both coaching and management?

Although I agree, Our management would almost rank alongside Parramatta's in terms of its inability to act intelligently at crucial times. We have always made the questionable decision, like buying Adamson and letting Wiki go, but Clyde and Stuart went before retiring, we don't sack the lot but look at a development policy a plan over say 5-7 years, it can't happen all at once, it would be poor business, get someone from England or something or maybe just a fluent businessman with business credentials first footy credentials second like a Shane Richardson as opposed to Denis Fitzgerald

lotm

Juniors
management would almost rank alongside Parramatta's in terms of its inability to act intelligently at crucial times.
that's ludicrous. although they, admittedly, made several errors, they're not even close to the level of incompetence of the eels administration. you could make a competitive nrl side with the players they've let go that are still playing first grade. we've lost two senior players and one disloyal pr!ck. it's not the end of the world. fmd.

We have always made the questionable decision, like buying Adamson and letting Wiki go
we didn't let wiki go ... the outcome was definately not the ideal one, even for raiders managment. we couldn't match the warriors' price - just like the bulldogs couldn't match the price for ... price.

get someone from England or something or maybe just a fluent businessman with business credentials first footy credentials second like a Shane Richardson as opposed to Denis Fitzgerald
it's easier said than done, mate. very, very few of us understand what it's like to be involved in the running of an nrl club, and even fewer of us know what actually goes on with raiders management and their decisions. too many of the people on this board are accepting newspaper reports as gospel and making their judgements purely on that ... taking them entirely literally, just because they want to criticise management about something, rather than being logical, reasonable and rational. it's an extremely unintelligent way of going about things.

Chippo Raiders

Juniors
lotm said:
management would almost rank alongside Parramatta's in terms of its inability to act intelligently at crucial times.
that's ludicrous. although they, admittedly, made several errors, they're not even close to the level of incompetence of the eels administration. you could make a competitive nrl side with the players they've let go that are still playing first grade. we've lost two senior players and one disloyal pr!ck. it's not the end of the world. fmd.

We have always made the questionable decision, like buying Adamson and letting Wiki go
we didn't let wiki go ... the outcome was definately not the ideal one, even for raiders managment. we couldn't match the warriors' price - just like the bulldogs couldn't match the price for ... price.

get someone from England or something or maybe just a fluent businessman with business credentials first footy credentials second like a Shane Richardson as opposed to Denis Fitzgerald
it's easier said than done, mate. very, very few of us understand what it's like to be involved in the running of an nrl club, and even fewer of us know what actually goes on with raiders management and their decisions. too many of the people on this board are accepting newspaper reports as gospel and making their judgements purely on that ... taking them entirely literally, just because they want to criticise management about something, rather than being logical, reasonable and rational. it's an extremely unintelligent way of going about things.

Hey I am with you, I think its too difficult just to kick them out and move on, Parramatta's management have been that way since 1986, a club destroyed by a singular man and no not Brian Smith. The positives are that we are recruiting again like we did in the late 80's with signings like Ale, Goodwin with Carney and Weyman in the wings. The handling of the Davico arrangement was as bad as I have ever seen and I have seen Parra work from the inside. Yes the Newspaper being gospel statement I totally agree with, I am as much against it as anyone, but they silly thing is that Raiders Management have been shown to be doing that exact thing, and those are mistakes I worry about in business.

Newpapers are there to sell not to inform, when this is seen for what it is, this perception will change until then, it looks as if I will get to know my new uncle Bob if you catch my drift.

jed

First Grade
Tidus_Raider said:
I think now that Withers has signed, i'm expecting next year to be Woolfords last at the Raiders.

As much as it pains me to say so, I agree with you. Moreover, I am tending to believe that we're going to have a new captain next season.

greeneyed

First Grade
I am tending to believe Woolford will be encouraged to go to England, by the size of his offer. This reflects the fact that he has had average form this season, and can't last the distance in a game. I also think that despite the denials, the club isn't happy about the captain's captaincy. Too much aggro with the refs, which comes back to bite us.

Raider Azz

Bench
I think the club will offer Woolford a contract, but it will be so small that it will "persuade" him to go to England :(