What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Captain Dread's 2004 Music Awards..

Anonymous

Juniors
Alternative and Punk

Best Album: Green Day - American Idiot
g47837woek6.jpg

The title track is the 'London Calling' of a new generation and the rest is a sweeping piece of rock opera. Brilliant, perfect return to form.

Runner up: Scissor Sisters - Scissor Sisters

Metal and Hard Rock

Best album: Rammstein - Reise Reise
g54594q2htv.jpg

Still as over-exaggerated as ever, but they haven't lost their sarcastic edge. Grotesque yet compelling.

Runner up: Velvet Revolver - Contraband

Pop/Rock

Best Album: John Butler Trio - Sunrise Over Sea
B0001F6R8S.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The trio's best release yet. Without a doubt Australia's number one musical talents.

Runner Up: Los Lonely Boys - Los Lonely Boys

World Beat / Hip Hop / Reggae

Best Album: Toots and the Maytals - True Love
g25329hxdrb.jpg

All of the Maytals' classics re-wrought featuring stars of the modern musical landscape. A great starting off point for anyone wanting to delve deeper into the Maytals extensive back library.

Runner up: Ozomatli - Street Signs

Booyah

Bench
Grotesque yet compelling.

I'll say. Did you listen to Mein Tiel?

Why in gods name would they do a song about that freak Miewes? Reise Reise is an excellent song though.

Anonymous

Juniors
I'll say. Did you listen to Mein Tiel?

Why in gods name would they do a song about that freak Miewes?

Because... well.. they're freaks. My favourite song is Amerika. I haven't been a fan of their English stuff in the past, but that song just about sums it up for me.

SirShire

First Grade
Raiders Plight said:
i must be the only person who dislikes that "American Idiot" song, sounds like every other song they've ever made.

Yep. And it has been played to death.

MILLWALL

Juniors
I cant agree with any of them, i mean greenday have gone down hill with a pathetic album john butler sucks in my mind and Rammstein are good but are nothing special

Kasper

Bench
Raiders Plight said:
i must be the only person who dislikes that "American Idiot" song, sounds like every other song they've ever made.
No, there's plenty more who hate it.

MILLWALL Of Doncaster said:
I cant agree with any of them, i mean greenday have gone down hill with a pathetic album john butler sucks in my mind and Rammstein are good but are nothing special

I'll agree with all of that, except i'll emphasise how much green day and JBT suck :roll:

Alex28

Coach
Raiders Plight said:
The only problem i have with the JBT is the lyrics, but other than that i dig them.

See...I dont get comments like this. His early stuff definately has a political and protest message to it, but Sunrise Over Sea has very little of that element to it - there is more of a love/family element to it.

So if you dont like politics in your music, and you dont like love and family in your music...what on earth do you want in your music?

His lyrics are fine - at least he is singing about something...we have a world full of music with fluffy, lightweight lyrics - I'm more than happy with his music.

World Beat / Hip Hop / Reggae

Best Album: Toots and the Maytals - True Love

Nah.....

Immortal Technique's Revolutionary Volume II takes this in my mind. If anyone listens to it, hip hop fan or not, you will be moved. Tech speaks the truth on political issues, social issues and even tackles religion. Spoken word....nah, like the title suggests, Revolutionary.....yes

Raiders Plight

Juniors
Alex28 said:
Raiders Plight said:
The only problem i have with the JBT is the lyrics, but other than that i dig them.

See...I dont get comments like this. His early stuff definately has a political and protest message to it, but Sunrise Over Sea has very little of that element to it - there is more of a love/family element to it.

So if you dont like politics in your music, and you dont like love and family in your music...what on earth do you want in your music?

His lyrics are fine - at least he is singing about something...we have a world full of music with fluffy, lightweight lyrics - I'm more than happy with his music.

It's not what his lyrics are about, its the way he writes them. Don't you think he can be a bit cliche at times? but anyway to each their own.

CC_Eagle

First Grade
I love his lyrics. Obviously SOS didn't have as much a political message as much as JBT and Three did. But thats to be expected, since his last release his wife gave birth to their first child and he has spent alot of time away from his new family.

Political lyrics or emotional lyrics, he is still f**king awesome.

Dread

Juniors
Well people, I'm back with a vengeance... nice to see some people disagree with my choices, although I'd like to know what you guys personally reckon should be in their place.

JBT's new cd is f***ing great
so is the Scissor Sisters.

lolesi, you're a man of exquisite taste.

Latest posts