What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Captain Monas welcomes Orford!

chileman

Coach
Monaghan welcomes Orford

21 July 2005

The imminent arrival of Melbourne playmaker Matt Orford has been welcomed by the man he will replace as Manly's halfback - Sea Eagles skipper Michael Monaghan.

Orford today confirmed a four-year deal with Manly from 2006, ensuring current halfback Monaghan will slot in at either hooker or five-eighth next season.

But Monaghan's manager Jim Banaghan denied that his client had an "out clause" to exercise if Orford displaced him as Manly halfback.

"Why would he want an out clause? I keep telling everyone but their ears are painted on - everyone is happy, mate," Banaghan said.

"Michael is happy. He welcomes Matt Orford. He sends out a big cheerio and a 'welcome to Manly'.

"He looks forward to having him in the side next year. It will strengthen the club and he as club captain appreciates the efforts of the club by strengthening the side for him to captain.

"He congratulates the administration for snaring such a good player.

"He's got no dramas. He doesn't mind being in a strong team."

Monaghan was put in an awkward position after he was first told he would not be re-signed by Manly this year, only to be offered a new three-year, $720,000 contract after a public outcry.

Now Monaghan's playing position is uncertain for 2006 after Orford ended four months of negotiations by signing with the Sea Eagles.

"To be honest I don't want to talk about where I am going to play next year," Monaghan said today.

"There are a couple of options there for me. I spoke to the club today and they agreed they don't want to talk about next season until next year.

"Matt's a great signing for the club but he won't be here until next year - the club's really got to focus on finishing this season well."

Monaghan looks set to start at hooker next year with regular rake Chad Randall asked to look elsewhere and current pivot Michael Witt - who has another two years left on his contract - today denying he was the next to go.

"I heard today there was something in the paper about me going somewhere but I spoke to (coach) Des (Hasler) today and he told me it was way off the mark,"Witt said.

"It's just a reporter making up his own story. I'm loving my time here - I certainly don't want to be going anywhere in a hurry.

"Mick might play a bit of hooker but we will just have to wait and see."

Manly made room under the salary cap for Orford by unloading backrower Sam Harris (who signed with Wests Tigers) with Randall - son of Manly legend Terry - looking elsewhere.

Monaghan admitted the players' uncertainty was a distraction for Manly as it tried to make the finals for the first time since 1998.

"There are guys who are uncertain about their future at the club, in regards to Chad it's a tough situation for himself and the club with the history that his family has got there," Monaghan said.

"The club has to make a hard decision with regards to players and doing what is best for the club.

"It's an unenviable position for both parties, but at the end of the day it's a business - there is room for loyalty but the club also has to make the hard decisions.

"I am still hoping Chad will sign with the club."

But Monaghan said the off-contract players would try to prove a point by helping the former NRL ladder leader Manly - now placed eighth - make a finals run.

"There are a few blokes off contract, there are still a few guys at the club with a lot to play for and wanting to finish at the club on a good note," he said.

"A guy like Sam Harris will be leaving. There's (Leeds-bound) Scott Donald and I am sure they want to finish well.

"Then there's Chad Randall, Paul Stephenson and Steve Matai who are still working for contracts. Those guys have a good incentive to play well and it's no different to myself.

"It's probably a good thing heading into the end of the season - motivation shouldn't be a problem heading into the last six rounds."

The man who played a pivotal role in retaining Monaghan - Sea Eagles major sponsor Max Delmege - said Monaghan had indicated he was comfortable playing alongside Orford.

"Michael can play several different positions. Michael is all for Manly - the stronger we make the team the easier Michael's job will be," he said.

"He has worked very hard since he has been captain and he has done an amazing job - he's brought us to where we are today.

"Michael will fit in nicely."

Brought to you by AAP

parra pete

Referee
Good onya Monas..Signing Bell and Orford will ensure you have no money left for Jamie Lyon if the creep wants to go 'walkabout' from St Helens to the Eagles.

lotti

Bench
Lyon won't be signed until after June 30 next year when his contract with the Eels runs out.

RainMan

Juniors
parra pete said:
Good onya Monas..Signing Bell and Orford will ensure you have no money left for Jamie Lyon if the creep wants to go 'walkabout' from St Helens to the Eagles.

You are not very smart are you?

Lyon is a free agent for 2007. Manly have Kennedy, Witt, Menzies and probably a few others off contract in 2006. More than enough money for J.Lyon, if they choose to go after him.

chileman

Coach
canteen worker said:
I wonder why Monas was down in the Melbourne Box at Olympic Park today????
Probably having a look at 2 players that will be playing under his captaincy next season!

Briza

Juniors
groggo said:
might of gone down with joel due to having the weekend off

Bingo, He went down with his parents to meet up with his sister and went to watch Joel play.

groggo

Juniors
nothing wrong with that i go to wagga to visit relos and watch some local footy dont mean im signing up for turvey park

lotti

Bench
chileman said:
Probably having a look at 2 players that will be playing under his captaincy next season!
proving just what a good captain he is, he's learning their strengths and weaknesses ahead of next year I wonder why Dessie didn't go with him since as coach it's important for him to know that as well.

parra pete

Referee
They (Turvey Park) merged and have an ex Manly player coaching...Craig Field. Bully for THEM.
They are still a joke, and at the end of the season after paying out $50,000 to Field will be BROKE JOKES. :lol

lotti

Bench
Tamazoid MICHAEL MONAGHAN ISN'T LEAVING MANLY HOW MANY TIMES DOES THE MAN HAVE TO SAY IT? He was supporting his brother and checking out the 2 players that come next year are Sea Eagles.