What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Carney can be NRL sensation'

Bicey_18

Bench
'Carney can be NRL sensation'
By Iain Payten
December 23, 2005

GREAT Britain winger Brian Carney will be a sensation in the NRL, according to the man who discovered the Irish flyer.

Carney touched down in Sydney yesterday and met his new Knights teammates later in the day in Newcastle, saying he is "very excited" about his future in Australia.

The ex-Wigan star, 29, will play for Newcastle in 2006 before joining the new Gold Coast Titans franchise in 2007.

"I'm just getting used to this warm weather and sun. We don't get much of either in Wigan," Carney said, still sporting the wounds of a mountain biking accident.

Souths chief executive Shane Richardson unearthed Carney in 1998 when, as boss of Gateshead, he heard about a 21-year-old Gaelic footballer starring for the Irish Universities league team.

"A bloke who worked for me said you've got to watch this tape. Brian scored three tries and showed great pace so we signed him," Richardson said.

Carney's Super League career took off and within three years he was playing for Great Britain.

Former Wigan teammate and good friend Matthew Johns rates Carney as "the best winger in the world". And Richardson believes brother Andrew will ensure Carney shines for the Knights.

Outside Andrew Johns and on the end of that backline, I believe he will be a sensation," Richardson said.

"But he is also such a quality human being and a classic, funny character, he will also bring a vitality to the game we've missed for a bit."

Carney was reluctantly released by Wigan to join the Knights.

"I have always wanted to play in the NRL and Matt used to tell me a lot about the Knights and the town so I jumped at the chance," Carney said.

"It's an incredible challenge and any league player would love to play with guys like Andrew Johns, Danny Buderus and Matt Gidley. "The Knights are the verge of big things and it'd be great to part of a successful year, maybe win a grand final."

The Daily Telegraph

Ben

Bench
It's funny because he mentioned Andrew Johns, Danny Buderus and Matt Gidley of all people in the same sentence.

Wobbygong

First Grade
Pity he's only there for one year, but judging by his poor efforts in the Tri series it's probably a good thing he's only there one season.

strewth_mate

Bench
I might be out of line here but while I want him to have a brilliant year with us, I want him to go well at the Gold Coast too. I wouldn't wish him to play badly, even if he did only sign with us short term and his future elsewhere is settled.

Besides, the worst he can do is cost us 4 points a season if he turns out to be that good. Or he finds a new way to injure Joey.

Jedda

Juniors
Here's hoping he sees out the season and that the new team of support services we've got can keep him on the field fit and well.

One would hope that his love of a beer and a laugh does not prove to be an unwanted distraction.

John_Travolta

Juniors
What`s with this can rubbish? HE WILL be a Sensation this season i`m affraid to say hahahaha! he`s a top flyer alright, he`ll wreak havoc for you guys all season long barring injury. I predict he`ll be one of if not the leading try scorer in the comp this season.

Latest posts